Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Why do we want to be like other counties. We had more freedom than them when it came to health care. We had the best healthcare system in the world. No anymore. We can be just like Greece. Yay!
Best health care system in the World? You can't be serious. We are ranked 37th overall for health care. Our survival rates for most major illnesses are well below Europe, Canada, Japan, and South Korea.

The New England Journal of Medicine issued a report that stated that:

"It is hard to ignore that in 2006, the United States was number 1 in terms of health care spending per capita but ranked 39th for infant mortality, 43rd for adult female mortality, 42nd for adult male mortality, and 36th for life expectancy." Christopher J.L. Murray, M.D., D.Phil., and Julio Frenk, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H.
N Engl J Med 2010; 362:98-99 January 14, 2010.

We are a long way from being the best health care system in the World. We aren't even close. If you are right though and passing this law will make us more like Greece that would be a wonderful outcome because they are ranked 14th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Even if they had only mandated very, very basic catastrophic insurance, it would be better than this current boondoggle. As Obamacare stands now, it is a very bad bill. I wish they had just instituted small changes to see the consequences and not this huge bill that is rife with higher taxes, very undesirable consequences, and once again, encourages the non-working class to be carried on the backs of the middle class.
This was the third time in two days that I'd asked a proponent of cross state insurance and tort reform. And this was also the third time, I did not get the answers. Would fourth time be a charm?

Then tell me, what is very bad about ObamaCare? Would it have been better if the bill didn't consider mandate but offered an additional choice to the people: Public Option?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Best post you made all day in this thread. You finally called those who will refuse to get healthcare, which is most of your fellow anti-AHA people, what they really are, Freeloaders.
How does paying for my own care without making a third party rich by skimming $$$$ to themselves make me a freeloader.I owe nobody nothing so why am I being fined or taxed or whatever todays name of the theft is

Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So much for the Hypocratic Oath.

or should that be ...

The Hypocritical Oath
Had the same thought myself. Sounds like they'll be doing some creative bartering for foods and services.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Wait till the majority of the people find out the healthcare costs per year and the fine they have to pay... the farming industry will finally wake up get registered and vote Obama out..

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Have we? Last time I checked we have taxes well below what they pay in Europe and Japan. Of course, they have better health care, schools, roads, telecommunications, etc... The US is so far behind in so many areas it's hard to keep track anymore. This health care bill isn't perfect, but it's significantly better than what we had and I for one am quite happy that the SCOTUS decided in favor of it.
When the tax cuts expire and this kicks in, those who actually pay taxes will be paying much more. BTW, People are now fleeing France to avoid their 75% tax rates.
The top 5% (in the US) will be pushing above that. They already pay close to 55%>

Have you added up everything that is taxed here? YOU might pay 30% fed (the median fed tax rate) but here in Cali we also pay 10% sales tax; 2.6% property tax; network, connection, conservation incentives... HELL, I pay an additional $13mo for puplic purpose programs on my electric bill.

If I didn't pay a dime to the FED, I'd still be taxed over 20% easily. I'm about to send a check to the state for over $3000.

Yippy, yes we are highly taxed, yes we are behind much of the world, yes we have become a soicialized country, and yes we will become a 3rd world entity before you know it.

EXP1: In just two decades we've gone from 1st to 25th in education.
EXP2: The government just spent $120M to find $22M in medicare fraud.

The government is brilliant at throwing money away, and finding solutions is the last thing they get in return. Spread the wealth baby!!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
How does paying for my own care without making a third party rich by skimming $$$$ to themselves make me a freeloader.I owe nobody nothing so why am I being fined or taxed or whatever todays name of the theft is
Mitt Romney offered that term in his June 2009 op-ed for people like you. May be you should ask him?

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
This is hilarious Borowitz Report
Only if you are a blind partisan O-Bot.

At least the majority of people in that state wanted RomneyCare, and it was discussed openly and passed thru the legislature properly, instead of secret, closed door meeting, passed with bribes, kickbacks, and by circumventing normal legislative procedures, and signed w/o anyone being able to read or discuss the bill.

Unlike the lying, dishonest, and corrupt manner in which ObamaCare was signed into law, it will be repealed by adhering to proper procedures and discussed in the full light of day.

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hmmm...is Obamacare a regressive tax?
Of course it is.

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
On the bright side, though, people with life-threatening pre-existing medical conditions will no longer have to choose between bankruptcy or early death.

I mean, that's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies