Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you (the taxpayer, if you even pay taxes) cant afford singlepayer

singlepayer would cost 3-6 trilion a year to fully cover 330 million people ...meanwhile there are less than 100 million taxpayers
links please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times

Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But Obama said it wasn't a tax. Why did he argue it as being a tax to the Supreme Court? Doesn't that smack of hypocrisy?
Deceit. But to his own constituency.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 PM

Compile a list of the states who opt out. That's where the jobs will be in five years.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
Im willing to pay up to $200 a month. Considering im just 32 i realize and dont mind that people like me will be paying for most everyone else's claims.

I estmate that i could easily have a medical problem adding up to $20-$30k sometime between now and aged 40. Something minor like a week in the hospital would EASILY break $20k. Withiut insurance thats automatic bankruptcy...then nobody gets a penny, including the hospital.

Obamas plan would give me that coverage.

Starting out self employed i make just $20k a year. As of right now, most people in my age group and self employed must pay $600 per month for good coverage.

Like obama said, the pool of money will go up by 50 million people.

I hope you have a child with a condition that requires high costs..can you legitimately say you dont deserve it?
Who's paying for it - for your coverage? Somebody else. Someone else is going to work to pay your bills. Not for services like defense, roads, and infrastructure, but your insurance.

You have nothing. What if the neighbors across the street only made $5000 instead of $20,000 and decided you should pick up part of their grocery bill? And the President signed a law that forced you to pay their groceries.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Let's see how many Canadians and Great Britain people no longer come to the U.S. in 2014 when Obamacare is fully implemented for health care reasons. They can save the money for the trip and get the same bad treatment and care in their own countries.
Anyone know how many Americans go to those countries for medical treatment?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Over a ten year period.
Yeah, all his figuring about money is in 10 year periods. Actually that is a heavy part of why I don't think he really believes he won't still be around in 10 years. That sounds so much like a dictator talking that I just can't believe he intends to have any more elections.. You know he uses EOs to take care of all problems that he can't cajole Congress into doing.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I remember back when OCare was signed and the right was hollaring about it being a tax; the left was chastising and making fun of us for thinking that. Calling us stupid, etc. Couldn't be a tax because OBam said it wasn't.

No further comment.
Why would any sensible person listen to another who was hollaring? If the Right didn't want it, then why did it pass the House? I mean, the Right has majority in the House, so they could have easily blocked it each and every time. Or by the Right do you mean Joe Blow on the street?

Obamacare is all about making health coverage affordable and available to everyone. And it does that. Or will do that I should say, some of the provisions have already taken effect, but others won't roll out until 2020 (ending the "Medicare Gap"). The "no more pre-existing conditions" and "the Mandate" roll out on Jan 1, 2014.

Individual States also have the option to enact their own plan. Well, as long is it offers the same level of care at the same price. Vermont has already expressed interests in creating a single-payer plan.

This won't happen until 2017.

You know, when an uninsured person visits the hospital (and skips out on their bill), the hospital absorbs that cost. And of course, that costs gets passed along to paying customers. So, because of the uninsured, you end up being charged more not only by the hospital, but your insurance provider charges you more, too. Not to mention, tax dollars already fund Medicaid and Medicare and other State-run insurance programs.

The Mandate was put into place to help absorb the costs of those with pre-existing conditions that were denied insurance in the past, or the difference caused by the lowering of their premiums. Believe what you want, but I think this is a good thing. Thankfully, I am an American, too.

Now, here is the real rub, put into bold for emphasis: if you can already afford to pay for health insurance now, you will be able to afford to pay for it in the future. It might even be cheaper. If you are getting health insurance through your employer, that will continue, too, as your employers rate will go down. It will also become illegal for them to cut you, anyways, as they would be charged fines, if they do. If you cannot afford it now, you probably cannot afford it two years from now. In this case, you will not be "taxed". The reality is, nothing will change. You will only be "taxed" if you can afford it, but refuse. Unless you are independently wealthy, you will more-than-likely fall into one of the three categories mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Be sure to thank the middle class for that. They're paying for you to get your freebies from the gov't.
So, the middle class are the only Americans paying taxes. Wow! Thanks for the roads and fire department (especially the NYFD!) and the police department and the Military middle class! You're the best. You can keep your parks and wild-life preserves, though. Those things are for those hippies, but I would like some free beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
For now it is better. It can go up if costs go up and they can tax you as much as they want and take over health care all together and tax you even more .
The slippery slope. I forgot about that. Just like allowing the gays to marry, because you know, after that people are going to start marrying their pets, trees, themselves. It will never end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Have only read to post #60, so if this has been addressed I apologize. How can the president repeal a law? I thought congress had to do that.
The President has little power. Well, more than you and I, but he is mostly a figure-head. Congress has the power. What ever the President wants to enact, Congress has the power to say no. What people forget is that this Act was passed by both the House and the Senate before Obama signed it into law. Also don't forget who has majority in the House, and the Senate only has a slight Dem. majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Your post is worth bookmarking for future reference, but the brainwshed on the right will not see the actual words...instead, they will see the words that have been imprinted on their memory banks. There wss one poster that was talking about the IRS seizing their property if they opt out.
The entire Act is somewhere around 940 pages. A lot to read, sure, and I guess it is more convenient to simply have Rush give you his rundown. However, the document is available in its entirety for anyone who wants to read it.

I agree with you, though. Everyone is too caught up with the whole "mandate" that the rest of the Act is ignored.

I find it funny that people call it Obamacare, though. I guess it is easier to say. The Act was revised so many times before it was able to pass Congress that what finally did go through was so watered down compared to the original that it cannot even be compared. It was largely the "Right" who held it up and forced the revisions. They got what they wanted and now they are still b*tching about it.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP
Even though they should hire finding a job WILL get worse. Nurses with jobs are already pushed past a safe limit and that will also get worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Really?
Yes really. I'll bet you don't know what really goes on in hospitals do you? I worked in health care for 20 years and thank the lord above I was one of the lucky to get out. It will get worse and there will be accidental errors that will cost people their lives.

Donna-501, think about this when you have to go to the hospital. Makes you feel pretty comfy and safe right?

And yet you think you know what you are talking about. So typical.

Last edited by eRayP; 06-29-2012 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM

102 posts, read 152,367 times
So does anybody know what it will do for us regular Americans who aren't children, elderly or single women who are pregnant?

Most of the health care services or free services always go to that group only and not the standard American who's not in that category who need help.

Will his new law help the STANDARD american or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies