Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

If you really want to know how this will affect people, go talk to an accountant. I know what my accountant has advised us upon. One, for example, is that we're going to buy a farm now. Let's see if anyone can figure out why. Second, it will be better for us, as a small business, to stay small AND to pay the penalty. Third, it is financially beneficial for me to pay the penalty instead of getting one of these cadillac Obamacare policies that will be much more expensive than a basic plan that only covered catastrophic illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Except that this ain't a product. It is a service that has hundreds of billions of dollars on the bill the federal government ends up paying for.

Now, is Medicare a product? Is VA health care a product? We all pay for it, don't we?
In my view, this post pretty much nails the mandate issue and put's it in perspective. Great post.

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Fewer people being born means fewer taxpayers too. Or is a negative population growth a good thing now?
Good thing for healthcare but bad for programs like medicare and SS.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Refuting it being a tax is not possible in a 30 second campaign ad. Showing that it is a tax does fit nicely in a 30 second ad.
I've no doubt that Obama will probably end up throwing his support behind it being a tax, but at least for right now, I'm not faulting him for it being changed to a tax. I won't count it as a broken promise until he actually personally breaks the promise.

Quote:
Problem is that he blew his wad on this bill so SP and PO are off the table for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to come.
Which is why I was against Obamacare the minute it got changed to the abomination it became.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
"Love it or hate it, it is now clearly the law of the land."

But for how long is this sentence going to remain true? Today Romney declared war on the Affordable Care Act and promised that on day one of his administration he would be working to repeal it. What man has created other men can uncreate, in this case. Several Republican Congressmen have spoken out against the left leaners and John Roberts in the Supreme Court. Now is there a chance that they have declared real war on the law? I say they have and that they will win a lot of seats in the Congress for just this one thing.

I believe that John and girls did Obama in with that decision and that although I don't want Romney he will be our next Preaident.

Can they get this thing into effect in 2014 before a sensible Congress can repeal it? They will be trying very hard to do so but I am not sure they can make it. Yes, they have already created all the bureaucratic boards, etc that they need but they still can't put it into effect before the specified date.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
That is an interesting take on things. Roberts appears to have written clearly, simply and plainly, from the text that you excerpted.

This raises a question in my mind, actually two. Were the drafters of this legislation just ignorant to the fact they could not sustain a constitutional challenge to the mandate under the commerce clause? Or, did they try to slip a tax increase by the people under the guise of the commerce clause, knowing from the beginning, the mandate was really a tax? The infamous Stephanopoulus interview with Mr Obama, during which Obama vigorously and vehemetly denied, to the point of ridiculing George about using a dictionary definition of what is a tax, causes me to wonder.

It is sort of like the little kid's lie that gets him by at first; but catches up with him in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Actually, they (the SCOTUS) were very clear that Congress CANNOT force or compel us as individuals to purchase health insurance, or anything else. I haven't read the entire decision yet, but in skimming Robert's majority decision, I fount a few key statements;

What the Supreme Court allowed is the penalty (tax) being levied on those who choose not to purchase insurance. The Court referred to Congress's ability to lay taxes to justify this tax, and found that it is within the power of Congress to do so.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 AM

243 posts, read 279,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..don't hold your breath. Pelosi fought for that low penalty so it would be "affordable" to everyone.
Then my insurance costs will keep going up. The theory is that if everyone buys insurance, then health care costs stabilize. If most people just pay the penalty tax, then that theory is blown. Obamacare doesn't very far to solve the problem of affordable healthcare, if all the uninsured just pay the penalty tax.

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Let me just say this straight out:

This being a new tax does not reflect negatively on Obama at all. He did not intend for it to be a tax, it's not on him that it got changed to be so. It's on the Supreme Court.

628 posts, read 1,315,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post
Sure there is. Raise the penalty, I mean Tax, to higher than the cost of buying insurance.
So...what does a health insurance policy cost for an individual? A decent one....5, 6, 10 thousand a year?? Is this accurate?
If the policy is say $6000/yr and the penalty is $6000/yr....this results in a 100% tax increase on a middle class single person making $40,000 year. You OK with this?
I'm not sure that this ACA isnt going to raise costs substantially on everyone.....those that choose to buy the policy and those that choose to pay the tax.

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I hope they can poll these young student's you mention.

If so, they would heavily approve of these increased health care benefits for them.

You're projecting your right wing ideology on others.
It'll be interesting to hear what that young adult thinks when it negatively affects their ability to meet his or her friends for happy hour or take a road trip or vacation with their friends. A few thousand a year can kind of put a damper on one's social status when they're making 30 or 40K at their temp job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies