Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,951,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
You don't see a problem with people using other people's money to buy cigarettes? Money that should go towards FOOD?!
No, I see a problem with sanctamonious azzholes that refuse to follow the law. The old wind bag's job was as a cashier, swipe the items take the payment, period.

On her own time she can scream her opinion untill the cows come home, on company time, do your job!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,025,887 times
Private company, their own decision.

Next?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 AM

37,084 posts, read 42,062,039 times
She quit her job, she wasn't fired.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,618,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
She quit her job, she wasn't fired.
She told them she was going to work out a notice; they stated she was finished.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:52 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,898,061 times
What did the clerk expect the customer to do?

The same thing everyone else that is on food stamps does if they need cigarettes. . . . .

Go to the same store with a friend that will give the food stamp recipient $10 in cash for $20 in food stamps so the person getting the food stamps can actually have money to buy cigarettes.

The customer was just trying to cut out the middle man. Its capitalism folks.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,432,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Well, a city government trying to tell people that soda is bad and being able to purchase cigarettes with an EBT card are really two completely unrelated issues. For starters, government also tells us more than clearly that smoking is bad, and secondly, you can use your EBT card to purchase soda.

The problem is simply that the funds on an EBT card are freely available. These funds are not tied to specific items, otherwise one could legislate that the funds can not be used to purchase, say, potato chips. Since such item-bound funds are rather impossible to issue, government must rely on retailers. Alas, even then enforcement is impossible and hence, rather pointless. There is always somebody who is willing to work around the system.

If you want that EBT funds only go to healthy food, you need to tie the funds to dedicated food banks that give out nothing but food or other items deemed essential.
When I was on food stamps, the items I could buy on the food stamps were controlled and limited. Most of the items were healthy. I also couldn't buy any non-food items, even necessary staples like tampons and detergent and deodorant. I don't know where this idea of everything being freely available comes from, because that sure wasn't my experience with FS. Is this something that varies from state to state? Do some states control what you can buy with EBT while others don't?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Can you do that in every state? That's crazy.
No. When I was living in NC and using EBT, I could not buy cigarettes or alcohol. I couldn't even buy prepared food. For instance, we could buy a frozen chicken, but not a chicken rotisserie. I have no idea where you can do this.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,471,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
When I was on food stamps, the items I could buy on the food stamps were controlled and limited. Most of the items were healthy. I also couldn't buy any non-food items, even necessary staples like tampons and detergent and deodorant. I don't know where this idea of everything being freely available comes from, because that sure wasn't my experience with FS. Is this something that varies from state to state? Do some states control what you can buy with EBT while others don't?

The article states that there are 2 types of cards, one restricted , one unrestricted.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,257,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
What did the clerk expect the customer to do?

The same thing everyone else that is on food stamps does if they need cigarettes. . . . .

Go to the same store with a friend that will give the food stamp recipient $10 in cash for $20 in food stamps so the person getting the food stamps can actually have money to buy cigarettes.

The customer was just trying to cut out the middle man. Its capitalism folks.

Why do that when you have EBT Cash? It's legal to use for cigarettes.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
The article states that there are 2 types of cards, one restricted , one unrestricted.
What factors determine if you get the restricted vs. unrestricted card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies