Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,986,644 times

Advertisements

In this debate I quote a higher authority ((Exodus 20:16) "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,641,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Justice Ginsburg causes storm dissing the Constitution while abroad | The Daily Caller

We already know how she (?) feels about the constitution.....

You have already made it left vs right justice.... with your partisan statement about Scalia.....those criticizing him are all on the left, you should know this
Now you see, here's where your claim falls to the ground.

Padcrasher asked you very politely to present evidence from an objective legal commentator. Your response was to post a link to the well-known right-wing source The Daily Caller. Even that article doesn't claim that there is any respected legal authority challenging her reasoning. Rather, here's what they said about her comments:

[LEFT]
Quote:
Her comments have stunned writers across the conservative blogosphere . . .
Read more: Justice Ginsburg causes storm dissing the Constitution while abroad | The Daily Caller

Can you perceive that there is a difference?
[/LEFT]

Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
In this debate I quote a higher authority ((Exodus 20:16) "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.)
First off, what is that even supposed to mean?

Second, a statement of religious doctrine of any religion is not a higher authority than the United States Constitution, particularly when it comes to the rights enumerated in the Constitution.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Now you see, here's where your claim falls to the ground.

Padcrasher asked you very politely to present evidence from an objective legal commentator. Your response was to post a link to the well-known right-wing source The Daily Caller. Even that article doesn't claim that there is any respected legal authority challenging her reasoning. Rather, here's what they said about her comments:

[LEFT]
Read more: Justice Ginsburg causes storm dissing the Constitution while abroad | The Daily Caller

Can you perceive that there is a difference?
[/LEFT]
http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsb...s_a_good_.html
http://legalworkshop.org/2010/05/24/3101

Like he was going to take anyone seriously who I brought up

He is a CD Liberal after all..... it is impossible to reason with them.... I have given up trying

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Like he was going to take anyone seriously who I brought up

He is a CD Liberal after all..... it is impossible to reason with them.... I have given up trying
Who else would you have brought up? He might not be the only person reading this thread.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,675,664 times
Interesting how the president supported it.

You think someone who lies as much as he does would be all for the repeal.....

Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 PM

679 posts, read 660,525 times
There are already laws already in place that punish fraudulant activity of any kind.

Why do we need a law to make it illegal to lie about military service?

I never understand the loony right wingers on CD. This place is such a cesspool of ignorance.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,510,651 times
Quote:
This is true, about bragging

My grandfather was on the 2nd wave at Omaha Beach..... but rarely talked about it..... not something he talked about because of the memories and when he was invited to go to France he declined

The real heroes rarely, if at all, brag
I remember this guy who was a friend of one of my older brothers worked on our farm for a summer while he was home-he was in the Marines or Army. The Vietnam war was going on and he was telling us how a badass he was and all he had been through. I remember my brother and I were probably 10 years old and of course we thought this guy was God. My Dad just looked at him and didn't say a word. I think he had him all figured out.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:03 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,986,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
First off, what is that even supposed to mean?

Second, a statement of religious doctrine of any religion is not a higher authority than the United States Constitution, particularly when it comes to the rights enumerated in the Constitution.

What it ,eans there is a commandment against lying and protraying something about yourself that is not true is lying. God thought it was important to include it in his laws of life and death. Now the ten Commandments are the foundation of the Torah and its legal commentary called the Talmud. They became the law of the Western world when Constantine imposed the the law of the Christain Bible which includes The Torah on the Roman world. Biblical Law was one of the elements of English Common Law and English Common Law is one of the Foundations of American legal practice and the US Code because Colonial Courts used English Common Law and applied it and the same juriststs and legal scholars were responsible for creating the US Legal system. These men used what they knew and were familiar with. It sometimes appears in support for Court decisions. The Torah is also the foundation of Sharia Law applied in the Islamic world. As a nation that proudly proclaims the oath "One Nation under God, in divisable with liberty and justice for all." God's Law is not just religious mumbo jumbo but something woven into the very fabric of this nation and what we stand for as a people.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:05 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
What it ,eans there is a commandment against lying and protraying something about yourself that is not true is lying. God thought it was important to include it in his laws of life and death. Now the ten Commandments are the foundation of the Torah and its legal commentary called the Talmud. They became the law of the Western world when Constantine imposed the the law of the Christain Bible which includes The Torah on the Roman world. Biblical Law was one of the elements of English Common Law and English Common Law is one of the Foundations of American legal practice and the US Code because Colonial Courts used English Common Law and applied it and the same juriststs and legal scholars were responsible for creating the US Legal system. These men used what they knew and were familiar with. It sometimes appears in support for Court decisions. The Torah is also the foundation of Sharia Law applied in the Islamic world. As a nation that proudly proclaims the oath "One Nation under God, in divisable with liberty and justice for all." God's Law is not just religious mumbo jumbo but something woven into the very fabric of this nation and what we stand for as a people.
While there is a Commandment against bearing false witness, there is no Commandment prohibiting lying. As such, your entire line of reasoning, such as it is, collapses.

The Torah is not the foundation of Sharia Law. At least get your religions straight. One is Hebrew the other Islam.

Moreover, what you call 'religion woven into the nation's fabric' and use the pledge of allegiance as your example, that pledge was adopted by Congress in 1942 and the words "under God" wasn't present until 1954. That's rather recent weaving and clearly not the work of the founders who wrote the Constitution. Please note that the pledge has no legal standing. Thus, nobody can be prosecuted for violating that pledge.

The rest of your post is, in my opinion, disjointed and unclear how it applies to anything discussed but suffice to say that it does not prove that the Constitution has a religious heritage. Scholars conclude that the writers went to great lengths to separate the U.S. from establishing religion.

In a February 10, 1814 letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, Jefferson addressed the question directly. "Finally, in answer to Fortescue Aland's question why the Ten Commandments should not now be a part of the common law of England we may say they are not because they never were." Anybody who asserted that the Ten Commandments were the basis of American or British law was, Jefferson said, mistakenly believing a document put forth by Massachusetts and British Puritan zealots which was "a manifest forgery."

The reason was simple, Jefferson said. British common law, on which much American law was based, existed before Christianity had arrived in England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies