Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,249,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Once we eliminate private insurance company overhead (lavish offices, salaries and bonuses) and profit we will then be able to do the same with private hospitals and pharma companies. Then we will be able to afford health care for everyone including the former overpaid executives.
Let's start with eliminating the overhead congress costs tax payers (lavish offices, salaries, all those benefits, write offs and perks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,824,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
When your neighbor is struggling with the family budget, trying to figure out how much of what kind of foods to cut to pay for Billy's tuition next year or Sally's dress and shoes, it's now clear what she must do if she wants to minimize expenditures in other areas.

The penalty (sorry, it is now a "tax") for not signing up for Obamacare will be much lower than the premiums she'll have to pay if she does sign up. And Obamacare requires that, if she waits until someone is actually sick or injured before signing up, the insurance company must take the sick person despite what is now a "pre-existing condition".

So, what the struggling housewife should do, is clear: She should drop all health insurance. And simply pay the lower amount, the "tax" for not signing up.

Then, if and when somebody in her household gets sick, she should sign up then. The insurance company must take her and pay for the treatments for the sickness. She will pay their (higher) premiums until the sick person is cured. And then she can drop the insurance coverage, and go back to paying the "lower) "tax" instead.

Repeat as necessary.

Anybody see any holes in this idea? She can definitely feed her family better this way, than by remaining permanently signed up for insurance.

Why do any of us need to be signed up for insurance any more, before we actually need medical treatment?

Comment?
You start multiple threads about the same thing. Agenda much?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:38 AM

27,096 posts, read 15,289,002 times
Quote: Originally Posted by GregW View Post Once we eliminate private insurance company overhead (lavish offices, salaries and bonuses) and profit we will then be able to do the same with private hospitals and pharma companies. Then we will be able to afford health care for everyone including the former overpaid executives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Let's start with eliminating the overhead congress costs tax payers (lavish offices, salaries, all those benefits, write offs and perks).

Let us also not forget that this new "tax" falls only on us , the members of Congress are exempt from it.

Boy, sounds like a better deal that private enterprise.
Can't beat the benefits that corrupted power brings.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 06-30-2012 at 02:50 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 AM

By the way, have you seen the bathrooms of Congress and the White House?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF is getting a job supposed to accomplish? None of my jobs have ever provided health insurance, and tens of millions of employed Americans are uninsured.

FAIL.

You're either lying or a tax cheat working off the books.
The crappiest, most menial jobs I have every held in my life have provided insurance of some sort and I've been working for quite a few decades.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You just reinforced my belief that most people who are opposed to health care reform are irresponsible dead beats. I could care less if you take risks, unless your poor choices impact me, and that's what happens when you refuse to purchase health care insurance.

Healthy young people get sick all the time. What if you break your arm? Have appendicitis? An ovarian cyst? Get hit in the head playing softball? Young people are much less likely to have a chronic illness, but acute illness and accidents happen all the time. The bottom line is that if you don't have insurance, people like ME have to pay for your health care through increased cost when you get part or all of your bill written off because you can't pay for it out of pocket. I'm sick of it, and there's no excuse for it on your end. I understand it when people can't purchase affordable insurance or they have a preexisting condition, but since the health care act changes that, there won't be any excuse for being uninsured once it kicks in.

People who are unwilling to be responsible for their own problems are, well....losers.
I never had any of those -- not when I was in my 20s and not after. Young healthy people for the most part are just young and healthy.

What would be so wrong with instead just making them pay if they choose not to have insurance and get sick -- if they want to take the risk -- why not let them? Someone like me who hasn't gone to a doctor in many years and has never once in my life had to call in sick to work really doesn't shouldn't have to pay many hundreds of dollars because some people like to run to a doctor every time they sneeze and expect it will cost them nothing.

What health care my family used in the last 15 years or more was paid out-of-pocket because I never meet the insurance deductible.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I never had any of those -- not when I was in my 20s and not after. Young healthy people for the most part are just young and healthy.

What would be so wrong with instead just making them pay if they choose not to have insurance and get sick -- if they want to take the risk -- why not let them? Someone like me who hasn't gone to a doctor in many years and has never once in my life had to call in sick to work really doesn't shouldn't have to pay many hundreds of dollars because some people like to run to a doctor every time they sneeze and expect it will cost them nothing.

What health care my family used in the last 15 years or more was paid out-of-pocket because I never meet the insurance deductible.
It's a problem because their stupid choices don't just impact them--they impact people like me too. If they wind up really sick without health care insurance, there's about a 100% chance that the hospital and doctors etc. are going to write off at least a portion if not all of their bill. How many young people can pay a $10K medical bill out of pocket, let alone one for $100K? Who do you think pays for that--the hospital? They take the losses and pass the cost on to patients who do pay. They just raise the price of everything to cover loss. It's no different than a retail store raising prices to cover shoplifting--we ALL PAY MORE when people don't have health insurance, just like we pay more because of theft. I don't see much difference between the two--if you want to be a deadbeat and refuse to buy health insurance when you can afford it, you're stealing from people like me.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You're either lying or a tax cheat working off the books.
The crappiest, most menial jobs I have every held in my life have provided insurance of some sort and I've been working for quite a few decades.
Well one thing's pretty obvious--I don't know anything about the person that you're responding to, but you're not the sharpest tool in the shed yourself.

Lots of jobs don't pay health insurance, especially if you work for a small business or do manual labor. Think housekeeping, waiting tables, cutting hair, and working for a mom and pop store or small business ...the list goes on. Get a clue.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Young healthy people don't need insurance really because if you're healthy you don't need a doctor or pills or hospitalization. Many people only rarely go to doctors and aren't on any drugs.
As a group, that is true. However, it is not true for many individuals withing that group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Many people here have mentioned being hurt in an auto accident as a reason for a young healthy person to need HI. My auto insurance covers injuries to both me and any passengers even if I am at fault. Also last time I was injured in auto accident, not my fault, costs were covered by 1) my auto policy thru un/underinsured coverage, 2) auto insurance of person who hit me, AND 3) workers compensation since I was on the job. My health insurance paid nothing.
That's not the only kind of accident you can have. How about accidents involving sports and/or activities, such as skiing? Colorado has long had a law that the ski companies are not liable for injuries/accidents that occur at the ski areas unless there was negligence by the ski company.

Quote:

Because in many cases, they can't "just pay". You can rack up a multi-thousand bill pretty quickly. Young people, especially, don't have the savings to fund an unexpected illness.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Employees have been dropping health care for years now and even workers with employer based health care are paying big premiums each month from their salaries........... Once Obama seperayes health and employment with the UHC that he will move to create......... THEN and only THEN will health NOT affect our workplace or our employers.
So you admit that Obamacare is a Trojan Horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies