Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM

327 posts, read 644,461 times

Advertisements

If people were going to be taxed that much on an abortion then they would just not go to an abortion clinics. So instead of having a medical procedure done safely by a qualified medical professional you're just going to have a bunch of pregnant women going to extremes in order to obtain what they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes it is a heavy decision, but so is pregnancy and giving birth, especially to a child you are not emotionally or financially able to support. Therefore should we also make it mandtory to go into detail what pregnancy and childbirth entail and all of the medical risks involved, including birth defects and retardation and possible long term health problems and death for both the mother and child. And details of PPD and emotional risks of trying to raise a child you dont want or cant afford. Emotional risks from adoption and a study of the foster care and adoption system in our country. Are you at all familiar with our foster/adoption system? It might not change a thing for some women but it might increase the abortion rate.

But seriously to the OP you would tax a legal medical procedure. One that would most often save the taxpayers 10000000X what it will cost for medical expenses and providing for a child over the course of 18+ years. And what legal medical procedure would you tax next? Rehab, because people should'nt become addicted. Weight loss, because people shouldnt get fat. Lung cancer, because people shouldnt smoke. Birth control, because it kills any potential life? The possibilities are endless.
I can't say that I disagree with your first paragraph. I'll offer this. I believe that life is worth fighting for. I have a cousin who was given 6 months to live prior to her birth. She is 25 now. She has the mind of a todler basically, but she has brought an infinite amount of joy to her family. Her parents have dealt with constant medical issues. Imagine every few years or so, a doctor informing you that your daughter's prognosis is not good and that "she only has a few months left." Yet to them the fight to preserve life is worth it.

Either way though, I believe more information to pregnant women is better.

With respect to your second paragraph, I completely agree. The mandate is the template by which the government can now dictate (through taxes) what you buy and don't buy. Even if the law is repealed (assuming Romney wins and follows through with the repeal. A big assumption, but work with me here.), the mandate still stands as case law, and will be considered in future legislation and judicial decisions.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I can't say that I disagree with your first paragraph. I'll offer this. I believe that life is worth fighting for. I have a cousin who was given 6 months to live prior to her birth. She is 25 now. She has the mind of a todler basically, but she has brought an infinite amount of joy to her family. Her parents have dealt with constant medical issues. Imagine every few years or so, a doctor informing you that your daughter's prognosis is not good and that "she only has a few months left." Yet to them the fight to preserve life is worth it.

With respect to your second paragraph, I completely agree. The mandate is the template by which the government can now dictate (through taxes) what you buy and don't buy. Even if the law is repealed (assuming Romney wins and follows through with the repeal. A big assumption, but work with me here.), the mandate still stands as case law, and will be considered in future legislation and judicial decisions.
Then take that stand in YOUR life, not mine.
Pregnant women know that they're pregnant, that's why they seek abortion if they don't want to be.

You have no standing in issues related to MY body.

Abortion will always happen; it's been going on since women got pregnant.
Do you want it safe for the woman, or do you want to punish her and, in many cases, cause her otherwise preventable death.

Been adopting minority, physically or emotionally disabled unwanted kids yourself?
If not, your hypocrisy is showing.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM

419 posts, read 365,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Alpha is right. You liberals wanted Obamacare passed no matter what, now you have to look forward to the new possibilities.
The government can now tax just about anything. They can now force you to buy anything, or you pay a penalty.

Abortion would be a great place to start. But imagine the uproar from liberals over that.
Yeah. Since ONLY Liberals get abortions.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then take that stand in YOUR life, not mine.
Pregnant women know that they're pregnant, that's why they seek abortion if they don't want to be.

You have no standing in issues related to MY body.

Abortion will always happen; it's been going on since women got pregnant.
Do you want it safe for the woman, or do you want to punish her and, in many cases, cause her otherwise preventable death.
Throughout my involvement with this discussion I have advocated more education and information involving abortion. This does not represent an encroachment into your rights to procede as you choose. All it does is stress the importance of making an informed decision. If you support making weighty decisions from a position of ignorance, that is your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Been adopting minority, physically or emotionally disabled unwanted kids yourself?
If not, your hypocrisy is showing.
A discerning reader will see this for what it is: A fast and cheap attempt to discredit another poster who does not share your point of view. Rather my hypocrisy would show if I made the statements that I have made and yet had been involved in an abortion at one point in my life. I can assure you that this is not the case.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Throughout my involvement with this discussion I have advocated more education and information involving abortion. This does not represent an encroachment into your rights to procede as you choose. All it does is stress the importance of making an informed decision. If you support making weighty decisions from a position of ignorance, that is your right.

Why do you assume women are ignorant and don't know what 'pregnant' is?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why do you assume women are ignorant and don't know what 'pregnant' is?
Why do you assume that is what I am assuming? Why not read everything I've written in this thread so that you know the context of my comments?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiggan View Post
2 pages are enough. The point is the supreme court has opened a can of worms. If you don't think this scenario can happen you're freaking naive.

My apologies if the rep I got was for being hard core pro-life. I'm far from it. More mildly pro-life.

My worst fear is that we are going to get one majority passing taxes that another majority repeals which then is placed back in when the original comes back into power and so on.

Amend this crap out of play. NOW!!!

Have a nice day.

What? Are you suggesting that the ACA Supreme Court ruling suddenly gave the government a power to tax which it never had?

Good grief!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:

The thing is with your family, the child was wanted and loved and it was their decision. Everyones beliefs, strengths and life is different and each should be an individual and private decision. I also believe the more informed you are the better but there is a line between being informed and being forced to endure unnecessary details in order to get you to change your mind based on temporary emotions.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:

A discerning reader will see this for what it is: A fast and cheap attempt to discredit another poster who does not share your point of view. Rather my hypocrisy would show if I made the statements that I have made and yet had been involved in an abortion at one point in my life. I can assure you that this is not the case.
No, a woman knows she's pregnant.
How stupid do you think we are?

You want to control and punish women.
Not your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies