Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Can you imagine Romney, in that debate, trying to explain to people why he will appeal Obamacare when a lot of folks are already benefiting from it. Oh yeah, that should be good
Who is benefiting from a law that is passed but not in effect till 2014? I keep wondering about that although I do know that those of us on Medicare are getting $50 billion per year taken out of the fund so we are already suffering. There is a huge number of us and most of us tend to vote. You did know that didn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Who is benefiting from a law that is passed but not in effect till 2014? I keep wondering about that although I do know that those of us on Medicare are getting $50 billion per year taken out of the fund so we are already suffering. There is a huge number of us and most of us tend to vote. You did know that didn't you?

Roy, please don't treat me as stupid. And you know exactly who is benefiting so stop playing coy. And FYI they also vote as if you didn't know
And how are you suffering on Medicare. My dad is 91 and has so many health issues, I can't even begin to tell you. It is paid for. But his mind is fully intact and he lives alone without any help.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How about the idea that Roberts didn't pull anything on anyone.

Why can't folks just deal with the decision he made instead of coming up with a million different motives for it. He'll never reveal anything more than the reasons he's already stated. So take that and deal with it at face value. There is no need to ascribe any duplicitous motives for his vote.

He seems to be willing to deal with the fallout from his decision (whatever that may be), so criticize him, or praise him, but do so based on his own words, not some foolishness you're cooking up and couldn't confirm anyway in a million years.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Can you imagine Romney, in that debate, trying to explain to people why he will appeal Obamacare when a lot of folks are already benefiting from it. Oh yeah, that should be good
Sure-

Many people would benefit from free housing, free food, vacations and an allowance from the government. However, we cannot AFFORD such luxuries. Likewise, we-

1. cannot afford a multi-trillion dollar new entitlement that does NOTHING to control costs

2. support a tax which was not passed legally through the legislative process

3. condone a measure which suppresses business activity and new hires in a time we need more jobs, not fewer.

4. support a tax which robs $500 billion from medicare, when medicare is already on shaky ground

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you know Roberts was the deciding vote, though? How do you know it wasn't someone else who was wavering and changed their mind?
common sense.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
[/b]

Roy, please don't treat me as stupid. And you know exactly who is benefiting so stop playing coy. And FYI they also vote as if you didn't know
And how are you suffering on Medicare. My dad is 91 and has so many health issues, I can't even begin to tell you. It is paid for. But his mind is fully intact and he lives alone without any help.
Have you ever studied the monthly or quarterly reports he gets from Medicare and his insurer? Try that sometime and learn that Medicare doesn't allow caregivers to get much more than half of what they ask for. You do know that they determine what can be paid by any caregiver, I hope. I have said since I went on Medicare, because the law required it, that it was too much of the cause of the cost of health care in this nation. The caregivers can't get enough so they just tack more onto the insurance companies. Does that make sense?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure-

Many people would benefit from free housing, free food, vacations and an allowance from the government. However, we cannot AFFORD such luxuries. Likewise, we-

1. cannot afford a multi-trillion dollar new entitlement that does NOTHING to control costs

2. support a tax which was not passed legally through the legislative process

3. condone a measure which suppresses business activity and new hires in a time we need more jobs, not fewer.

4. support a tax which robs $500 billion from medicare, when medicare is already on shaky ground

Important parts of this debacle all should take note of and consider.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Excuse me, but CJ Roberts vote only counts as one. He is the ONLY justice to call it a tax. So, according to the decision it was one to eight that it was a tax. Roberts OPINION all by itself doesn't make it so.

Where did you get that? The fact he wrote the opinion for the majority? That is what it is, the MAJORITY opinion.

Maybe Roberts knows exactly what he is doing.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Where did you get that? The fact he wrote the opinion for the majority? That is what it is, the MAJORITY opinion.

Maybe Roberts knows exactly what he is doing.
From actually reading the opinion and not taking talking heads word of what was said. The question, III-B, is the mandate a tax?, was only supported by Roberts. No other justice, on the left or the right, concurred with the opinion. The cliff notes version of Roberts opinion can be found at the last paragraph of the syllabus.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Roberts was crazy like a fox! He now has officially labeled Obamacare and the mandate, clearly and for all time,

A TAX!! Hallelujah, and every time some ignorant voter tries to support BOcare and claim BO is honest, etc...we can remind them that the mandate is a tax, and how BO said he would not raise taxes on folks making less than 250K, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies