Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So I guess the owner of this website is wiling to sacrifice the public good for $200,?? Now that is a man of integrity.
Good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Truly, your understanding of the law is awesome.

By the by, why are you quoting the United States Code for a purely local (state) offense? The Feds only become involved if the offense in question crosses state lines. From my reading of the link, the person was posting photos of local residents.
Legal definitions tend to be universal across the country, with small variations depending on when they were passed and/or updated last.

I may not like what the man is doing, but that doesnt mean its illegal..

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I also heard they are creating a site for STD's. If you have A.I.D.S or Herpes....they want to post it up there.....
Now that is a clear violation of the federal HIPPA mandate.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
According to Kansas statue, which is where the site is located, this clearly is a case of blackmail. I believe the operative word is "pawned"

Article 34.--CRIMES AGAINST PERSONS 21-3428. Blackmail.Blackmail is gaining or attempting to gain anything of value orcompelling another to act against such person's will, by threatening to communicate accusations or statements about any person that would subject suchperson or any other person to public ridicule, contempt or degradation

21-3428. Blackmail. - Kansas Statutes
Wrong again.. He isnt threatening to communicate accusation, he DID communicate CHARGES, nothing more, nothing less. Charges are true, (I would assume), and thus they arent accusations, but facts.

The individual isnt the one making the accusation, nor is he threatening to communicate, he actually IS communicating, information thats already public.

Furthermore, he isnt subjecting the individual to public ridicule, he's simply repeating already public information.

For example, if you say Bernie Madoff was involved in a Ponzi scheme, and then charge Madoff to not say it any longer, you
1) already communicated the accusation, so there is no threat to communicate accusations. A threat is made PRIOR to the disclosure. He's walking within the law by publishing it, and then asking for a fee to remove it..

Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I also heard they are creating a site for STD's. If you have A.I.D.S or Herpes....they want to post it up there.....
I heard of a similar movement sometime back, but I think it died quickly because HIV records arent public..

Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Furthermore, he isnt subjecting the individual to public ridicule, he's simply repeating already public information.
Oh that's rich. I'll remember that the very next time I get the urge to point to a bald guy and laugh, saying "Hey everyone! Look at baldie over here!"

Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Now that is a clear violation of the federal HIPPA mandate.
STDcarriers.com "Click it before you stick it"

Web Site Claims To List People With STDs | NBC 4i

Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Oh that's rich. I'll remember that the very next time I get the urge to point to a bald guy and laugh, saying "Hey everyone! Look at baldie over here!"
That wouldnt be illegal anyways.. Luckily, we dont yet legislate hurting peoples feelings..

Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,141 times
Quote:
STDcarriers.com "Click it before you stick it"

Web Site Claims To List People With STDs | NBC 4i
The people should sue the hell out of the website. What if the information is false.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Dang. Wish I'd thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies