Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 08:19 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Traditional marriage has always been between man and woman and has nothing to do with religion. I don't understand why we need to change any laws that has been a tradition for thousands of years.
Slavery has always been between master and slave and has nothing to do with religion. I don't understand why we need to change any laws that has been a tradition for thousands of years.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
LOL ok lets stay on topic, disagreeing is not hate. If ya want to be married say vows to each other, it's as simple as that, if it's not about love then it's a farce anyway.
Kinda naive attitude towards marriage...it's not always about love, it's about whatever the couple agree it is.

Disagreeing isn't hate but feeling that SOME certain people that you don't agree with shouldn't have equal rights is certainly a form of hate......why else would you want to deny them the same rights other Americans have???

It's NOT as simple as saying vows to each other, it's about the law and benefits married couples receive.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Disapproval does not equal hate. Most people are incapable of hate...Think of it..what is hate-- it takes a lot of energy to generate it- It has no real reward or pay off of any kind- It's very unpleasant..to have hate it is like you want to actually KILL the person that you hate- How many people actually want to kill gays and lesbians? Really- there might be a few- but they are the types that hate everything and would kill everybody if they could. This hate the gays business is getting real tiring...What I have noticed with some if not most gays is that they are very capable at hating...and for no valid reason.

Once gays put the hate aside and the envy....things will go smother. Opposition of same sex marriage in my case...if from a visionary point of view- I look 50 years into the future and see how it will effect society ....Gays and straights bickering about it TODAY - do not look forward in time- We could be feeding and infant monster..that will pull the future generation down our slippery slope right into a slavish hell on earth...

Beyond belief

No homophobia here...nosiree...

Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,341,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Kinda naive attitude towards marriage...it's not always about love, it's about whatever the couple agree it is.

Disagreeing isn't hate but feeling that SOME certain people that you don't agree with shouldn't have equal rights is certainly a form of hate......why else would you want to deny them the same rights other Americans have???

It's NOT as simple as saying vows to each other, it's about the law and benefits married couples receive.
It's just that simple if it's for love, if not then why do it, there are no magic benefits, I've been married 34 years, tell me where I get these benefits. being opposed to something does not equal hate.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
It's just that simple if it's for love, if not then why do it, there are no magic benefits, I've been married 34 years, tell me where I get these benefits. being opposed to something does not equal hate.

As to benefits, here's a few...you can have your spouse on your health insurance ( and I know people who got married for this purpose)., you have the right to be at the bedside of your dying spouse, you have inheritence rights, you have tax breaks, you have divorce laws...(and 50% of heterosexual couples get divorced....)

Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,109,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
wtf???
Just when you think you've heard it all. They never cease to amaze.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,241,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So you're next goal is to make divorce illegal?
Nobody is advocating making homosexuality illegal.

But gay marriage will be legal sooner or later. I still don't understand why the gay community will not accept civil unions as a stepping stone, providing that they offer 100% of the benefits of heterosexual marriage, nothing less. The gay community cries separate but equal on that one, but if its mandated that same-sex civil unions has 100% of the rights of heterosexual marriage then what is the real problem? Its for this reason I don't think its necessarily the marriage benefits the gay community is after but the very word "marriage". It is coming, but a large number of Americans are still uncomfortable with labeling anything "marriage" other than the union of one man and one woman. Civil unions on the other hand would be more likely to gain enough support to get passed in many states and possibly even on the federal level.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:47 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,042,448 times
Quote:
But we are not talking about Christians are we? Disagreeing does not equal hate. Being opposed to something does not equal hate either.
You implied pretty clearly that since gays weren't a racial group, the equal rights discussion didn't apply to them, ignoring that many non-racial groups are granted equality with no issues.+

And while I would normally agree that disagreement doesn't equal hate for the opposition, in this case it doesn't exactly support love or respect, either. And 99.99999% of the reasoning against homosexuals gaining equal rights has to do with either personal religious views or just plain bigotry based on ignorance.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:12 PM

190 posts, read 301,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

In a just world, being a right wing Christian would be deemed immoral, borderline child abuse when taught to children, and something that has held back humanity's progress for centuries. But even in that world, I wouldn't advocate that church people deserve any less rights or liberties than everyone else.
Ironically most gay friendly, open minded countries with real civil liberties are based on Christianity. Try your luck in Muslim country for instance. Yes Christianity held the world back. Lol
So much nonsense from our gay friends. All in the name of love lol

Old 07-01-2012, 10:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,440,891 times
gay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.