Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times

Advertisements

According to the state government of California, the average cost to house an individual prisoner for one year is a whopping $47,102. By comparison, the average income for an American individual is $47,200, according to the CIA(GDP per capita purchasing power parity).

Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
According to the state government of California, the average cost to house an individual prisoner for one year is a whopping $47,102. By comparison, the average income for an American individual is $47,200, according to the CIA(GDP per capita purchasing power parity).
No cost too great to protect the people from themselves

Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Yeah, there's been quite a few threads on this issue the past several weeks. I'm afraid that you probably won't convince anyone, even though you posted a few links that underscore your contention. I think most drug war proponents on here will either ignore the links and stick to their guns, claiming that drugs are illegal because they're inherently dangerous and that only scumbags want to use drugs. Legalizing drugs or even reforming its criminality, most drug war proponents will claim will only lead to more crime because in their world, drugs make ALL people who use them into criminals.
Safe to say conservatives are the road block?

I'd agree with legalizing all drugs at this point and I'm firmly conservative on most issues and you're going to have a lot of conservatives just like myself. A conservative politician advocating for or against legalization is not a make or break deal for me. If they were to legalize it I have no problems, if they oppose it while I disagree it's not something on the top of my list of concerns. The problem starts with the hard right wing, they will alienate those voters so the safe policy is to oppose it.

This is pretty common whether it's left or right fringe issue, the tail is wagging the dog.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:24 PM

56 posts, read 41,744 times
I think we're on the right way and weed will be legal in large parts of the western world in a couple of years.

Just a couple of weeks ago the Swiss parliament decided to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of weed.

Last week Chicago decriminalized it as well, just like the Czech Republic and Portugal. And we all know that it is practically legal in the Netherlands. So we're definetly going in the right direction. Let's hope for the best! 4/20!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If you compare the effects of alcohol to marijuana, you will find the harmless one is illegal, while the destructive one is legal. And then you should realize that money trumps common sense and if you follow the money, you realize just how lucrative alcohol is. Then factor in the money made from DUI's and lawyers making money from those arrested trying to get their license back, insurance companies, etc., etc., the list of benefactors is almost endless.
I can't agree with you about the "HARMLESS ONE". I've ridden in the same car, with the same driver on more than one occasion. Generally, he's a good driver. Last time, he had a joint before he got behind the wheel. I'll never ride with him again. He drive like he was LOOPED. I've seen alcoholics drive better, and it's my understanding that he drives like that anytime he's had one joint. His judgement was very seriously impaired. Now, I know where all the scratches and dents on his car came from. I also know what some others have done while on weed. I do not see it as "harmless". Like sword fighting with real swords (and no protection) that ended in an ambulance ride for both of them. If they were straight, they wouldn't have even considered doing that.

I can also show you, on the sheriff's website, where those on drugs are generally liars and thieves. Petit theft, grand theft, burglary, assault w/deadly weapon, you name and they do it. Somehow, that does not sound to me like it's "harmless".

Quote:
POSS OF MARIJUANA
VOP - GRAND THEFT
VOP - POSS CONT SUBS
VOP - FTA
Now, would you like to see the rest of this person's rap sheet?

Quote:
POSS OF MARIJUANA
FRAUD FAIL REDELIV HIRED LEASED PROP 300 DOLS OR OVR
CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
VOP SCHEME TO DEFRAUD, GRAND THEFT
Quote:
POSS OF MARIJUANA
OBTAIN PROPERTY RTN WORTHLESS CHECK MAKE UTTER ISSUE 150 DOLS OR OVER
POSSESSION CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
OBTAIN CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE BY FRAUD
Quote:
FTA - TRESPASSING STRUCTURE OR CONVEYANCE
POSS OF MARIJUANA
PETIT THEFT LESS THAN 300.00
Quote:
ARSON IN 1ST DEGREE DWELLING
POSS OF MARIJUANA
FALSE ID TO LEO
BATTERY ON LEO
Quote:
POSSESSION OF METHAMPHETAMINE
POSSESSION MARIJUANA MORE THAN 20 GRAMS
POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
CRIMINAL MISCHIEF OVER 200 UNDER 1000 DOLS SUBSQ OFF
FRAUD USE OF CREDIT CARD
Quote:
POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA NOT MORE THAN 20 GRAMS
AGGRAV BATTERY WITH DEADLY WEAPON
BATTERY ON LEO
This person is a 31 year old woman. I don't know if this is typical of pot users, but I certainly do not see any good reason to make it legal. I see this sort of thing on the sheriff's website all the time. Each quote is another arrest of the same person, and I could post thousands more very much like it. The extremes go as far as "felon in possession of firearm", "armed robbery", and "attempted first degree murder". And that's only from the women's side. Would you like a look at the men's side? It does not rank any better at all. And more than half of the arrests have included marijuana. Is this the element of society we're supposed to placate by making it legal?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Safe to say conservatives are the road block?

No. Not at all. Ron Paul is a conservative and he advocates legalization. Last time I checked there were only one or two Dems advocating legalization.

So it's both Dems and Reps.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I can't agree with you about the "HARMLESS ONE". I've ridden in the same car, with the same driver on more than one occasion. Generally, he's a good driver. Last time, he had a joint before he got behind the wheel. I'll never ride with him again. He drive like he was LOOPED. I've seen alcoholics drive better, and it's my understanding that he drives like that anytime he's had one joint. His judgement was very seriously impaired. Now, I know where all the scratches and dents on his car came from. I also know what some others have done while on weed. I do not see it as "harmless". Like sword fighting with real swords (and no protection) that ended in an ambulance ride for both of them. If they were straight, they wouldn't have even considered doing that.

I can also show you, on the sheriff's website, where those on drugs are generally liars and thieves. Petit theft, grand theft, burglary, assault w/deadly weapon, you name and they do it. Somehow, that does not sound to me like it's "harmless".

This person is a 31 year old woman. I don't know if this is typical of pot users, but I certainly do not see any good reason to make it legal. I see this sort of thing on the sheriff's website all the time. Each quote is another arrest of the same person, and I could post thousands more very much like it. The extremes go as far as "felon in possession of firearm", "armed robbery", and "attempted first degree murder". And that's only from the women's side. Would you like a look at the men's side? It does not rank any better at all. And more than half of the arrests have included marijuana. Is this the element of society we're supposed to placate by making it legal?

And people are desperate enough to rob a liquor store, too.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:45 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
?
You shouldn't ride with anyone who is looped and it doesn't matter what they are on.... legal or illegal.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:

You only do a good job showing how government trying to ban marijuana from society doesn't work. But then narcs admit that they believe they confiscate only 10% of the underground drug market. Now come on, if illegal drugs were such a huge danger to society and children, don't you think the government would be doing a much better job trying to protect us from illegal drugs?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:

But can you show any proof they wouldn't be liars and thieves without drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.