Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But what about the children?

Mommy and Daddy should have asked that question BEFORE having children they cannot adequately support.

Personal responsibility FAIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

How did you get away with no increase ?
I guess my company is way savvier at negotiating better rates than yours.

Though, I friends covered under other insurance companies have gotten better rates than before. And I also have a childhood friend who as born with a heart defect, who wasn't qualified (pre-existing condition) who is now able to get insurance. He was paying $14K a year for his coverage but now, his costs have been reduced by 14%.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:28 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
coal...using a rough inflation premium multiplier, based upon your last graph (premium inflation: employer/employee) for the total cost of a family premium, I arrived at the following. In 2018 when the Cadillac coverage tax kicks in, the typical family will be OVER the 27K threshold. And thus will get socked with, you guessed it, another friggin tax. Oh yeah, we want those middle class families to pay their fair tax, err share.

For the people, my asp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As of last Sept. of last year they were up substantially for some:

Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 AM

You realize a 14% premium reduction only knocks your friends premium down to 12K, right. That ain't much. Wait, I thought folks with pre-existing conditions couldn't get coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
I guess my company is way savvier at negotiating better rates than yours.

Though, I friends covered under other insurance companies have gotten better rates than before. And I also have a childhood friend who as born with a heart defect, who wasn't qualified (pre-existing condition) who is now able to get insurance. He was paying $14K a year for his coverage but now, his costs have been reduced by 14%.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 AM

This federal income tax will only cover a measly 10% of the states additional tax. The states will have to pay the rest by either raising state taxes, sales, income tax; or cutting expenditures somewhere else. This is less than a zero sum game.
[quote=duster1979;24980190]Which thread? This is inaccurate. Medicaid will be expanded to cover those earning 138% of the poverty level, but you would have to have several dozen dependents for someone making anywhere near $80K to get out of buying insurance.

As far as those making over $190K paying the premiums, this is true in spirit. The additional Medicaid expense will be funded through federal income tax.[/quote]

Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
What's bad is tht there is nothing now from keeping the $28,000 appendix removal surgery from becoming $58,000 and for a normal birth at a hospital to cost $40,000. The sky is the limit because Obama did not choose to address the problems of costs.

With an appendix, your time in surgery is generally less than an hour -- 2 doctors and 2 surgical techs or nurses can handle it, and if they all were paid $400 an hour, it would only come out to $1600. Throw in another $1600 for the overnight stay and the CNA provided after surgery care -- where is the rest going?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
You realize a 14% premium reduction only knocks your friends premium down to 12K, right. That ain't much. Wait, I thought folks with pre-existing conditions couldn't get coverage.
He has a pre-existing heart condition, but had to get his own premium on his own through a private company (the company he works for; their insurance carrier did not cover those with pre-existing conditions). He had to pay more.

Now, the company insurance policy has to now cover him under the Health care mandate. the company is cheaper in comparison. That's $2K less than he had to pay by going on his own. Other medical services fees are cheaper too. Emergency care, ambulance, etc.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:38 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

As in every government program, working single taxpayers end up subsidizing those with children (taxpaying or not). I used this link to figure my tax requirement. It's not pretty. As a 50 year old single adult earning $70,000 in 2014, I would be required to pay $6.978/yr for coverage with $0 subsidy from the gov't. The family of 4 earning the same amount would receive a $10,232 subsidy from the gov't and actually pay LESS premium ($6,626) than I would despite the fact that it's covering more lives.
I have been a loyal Democrat since 1984, but this is going too far!!! Why must I always carry the load for this society? Why don't people with families ever pay their own way??!!
It is Obamacare World.. didn't Obama say he was not going to put any tax burden on anyone making $250k or less which means it is not true if it came from the lying lips of Obama.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
funny, I haven't seen a single issue with my health care covrage, as parts of Obamacare have been enacted. My costs haven't gone up, but actually have gone DOWN, since the en-action of several portions of the health care mandate.

Costs of vaccines have gone down
Costs of a doctor visit for my yearly physical have gone down
Yearly tests for preventative care have gone down
Costs for emergency service has gone down, along with that my ambulance cost has also gone down by 15%
It will go way up in 2014 when they add 17 million on the rolls of medicaid.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And this:

So if you're making 80k or less the govt will pay your premium? Not being facetious here but how is the govt going to pay for this?

This question was asked first and then another poster supplied the answer -- only those making over $80,000 a year will have to buy insurance themselves, the government will give it to those making less than $80,000 - of course by confiscating the incomes of those making over $190,000 a year.
they must have heard in from msnbc..

On another website I chatted with an Obama supporter who stated no one who makes under 250k will have to pay for their insurance.. yeah,, right.. she heard it from a tv news source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies