Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No spin, it is a fact: medical bills are the #1 reason for personal bankruptcy. It is you who is trying to spin it.

false

the number one reason for bankruptcy is ILL HEALTH, and the INABILITY to pay ANY BILLS

of the 62% (that YOU use) the MAJORITY had INSURANCE

Do you know what happens to be the #1 reason for bankruptcy? Not divorce, job loss nor business failure. It’s actually ILL HEALTH. It’s a bit unnerving to hear that your failed health can just wipe you out like that, but it’s a gloomy fact. I find it unnerving because it’s something that seems harder to sidestep: a divorce can be worked out amiably or avoided altogether if you don’t get married; job loss isn’t as tricky if you keep your skills up; while business failure won’t happen if you don’t start a business. But with failed health, nobody is immune — it is all too likely to claim us at one point in our lives; after all, we’ll all be old and decrepit one day and we’re all simply delaying the inevitable.

Facts About The Leading Cause Of Bankruptcy
Here are some scary statistics that woke me up: they’re sourced from a Harvard medical study done a few years ago which involved sending out questionnaires to 2,771 bankruptcy filers in California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, New York and Texas:

■Expensive illnesses trigger half of personal bankruptcies.
■Majority of people who go bankrupt because of medical reasons actually have insurance! Many start out their illnesses with insurance while 38% lose coverage by the time bankruptcy is filed.
■Medical-caused bankruptcies affect about 2 million Americans each year, including 700,000 children.
■Illness leads to further problems like job loss and loss of insurance coverage.

its you that spins it

you could have 100% coverage of medical bills from the governemt and still go bankrupt

are the insurance companies paying you to post for them???

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
false

the number one reason for bankruptcy is ILL HEALTH, and the INABILITY to pay ANY BILLS

of the 62% (that YOU use) the MAJORITY had INSURANCE

Do you know what happens to be the #1 reason for bankruptcy? Not divorce, job loss nor business failure. It’s actually ILL HEALTH. It’s a bit unnerving to hear that your failed health can just wipe you out like that, but it’s a gloomy fact. I find it unnerving because it’s something that seems harder to sidestep: a divorce can be worked out amiably or avoided altogether if you don’t get married; job loss isn’t as tricky if you keep your skills up; while business failure won’t happen if you don’t start a business. But with failed health, nobody is immune — it is all too likely to claim us at one point in our lives; after all, we’ll all be old and decrepit one day and we’re all simply delaying the inevitable.

Facts About The Leading Cause Of Bankruptcy
Here are some scary statistics that woke me up: they’re sourced from a Harvard medical study done a few years ago which involved sending out questionnaires to 2,771 bankruptcy filers in California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, New York and Texas:

■Expensive illnesses trigger half of personal bankruptcies.
■Majority of people who go bankrupt because of medical reasons actually have insurance! Many start out their illnesses with insurance while 38% lose coverage by the time bankruptcy is filed.
■Medical-caused bankruptcies affect about 2 million Americans each year, including 700,000 children.
■Illness leads to further problems like job loss and loss of insurance coverage.

its you that spins it

you could have 100% coverage of medical bills from the governemt and still go bankrupt

are the insurance companies paying you to post for them???
You are saying the same thing, yet accuse me of spinning something? Of course the reason of any bankcrupsy if the inability to pay bills. I am simply saying that in most cases the bills happen to be medical bills.

Some people just disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are saying the same thing, yet accuse me of spinning something? Of course the reason of any bankcrupsy if the inability to pay bills. I am simply saying that in most cases the bills happen to be medical bills.

Some people just disagree for the sake of disagreeing.
wrong

it clearly states that a majority have insurance

it clearly states that the reason is due to ILLNESS and the INABLIITY to pay bills

NOT medical bills but ALL bills

why are you trying to spin it???????

Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Post agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
True. Nor does the ER provide early intervention, e.g. monitor response to blood pressure meds, etc.
In Appalachia they have tent clinics set up , for good hearted physicians and medical clinics to go to rural areas and treat women and children who have no access to medical care, plus hospitals can be a few hours away, in some mountain and mining towns.

Interesting how some on the far right are against this, quite telling actually. Pro-corporate and anti-human.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
In Appalachia they have tent clinics set up , for good hearted physicians and medical clinics to go to rural areas and treat women and children who have no access to medical care, plus hospitals can be a few hours away, in some mountain and mining towns.

Interesting how some on the far right are against this, quite telling actually. Pro-corporate and anti-human.
only the fascist liberals would say that

conservatives want EVERYONE to be able to get care...

only the fascist liberals want everyone to have private insurance or government insurance

look at your own post """"good hearted drs and clinics"""...ie charity.....a very conservative thing

only liberals want you to PAY for someone else

Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

I've actually read about those. A dr. will come once a year or so, and the clinics get mobbled by people who have no other access to care.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wrong

it clearly states that a majority have insurance

it clearly states that the reason is due to ILLNESS and the INABLIITY to pay bills

NOT medical bills but ALL bills

why are you trying to spin it???????
Yes, they might have a $35 cable tv bill in the mix, but it is quite irrelevant if the medical bills are in hundreds of thousands. Get it?

This is my final post to you, since you argue only for the sake of arguing.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Does anybody know who made it a law that emergency rooms must treat anyone, regardless of ability to pay, for life threatening emergencies?
Ronald Reagan.. and you lefties hate him, even though his policies save lives.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Modeerf, I believe you read my post incorrectly sir. I am not sure how you read into my post that nurses and hospitals are to blame for people having clogged arteries. The post was referencing to the EMTALA law and there is more to it than just the "dumping of patients." Had that been myself posting what you just wrote, i would feel very embarrassed. I am not sure what you do for a living, but I would wager it isn't in the medical field. That is unless you are just trying to look uneducated about medicine.

Please show me how you came to the conclusion that I think nurses and hospitals are to blame.
I read your post too quickly and mis interpreted your words. My apologies.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 PM

884 posts, read 716,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
I read your post too quickly and mis interpreted your words. My apologies.
No worries here buddy. (i do think our line of thoughts on this topic are very simular.

Last edited by Iluvmycountry; 07-05-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies