Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 02:31 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Box Office Report: Anti-Obama Doc Drawing Big Crowds, Even in New York City

Already the No. 2 grossing documentary of the year, "2016: Obama's America" expands nationwide this weekend.

An anti-Obama documentary based on conservative author Dinesh D’Souza’s book The Roots of Obama’s Rage will expand nationwide this weekend after doing notable business in select markets across the country -- including in liberally minded New York City.

Overall, 2016: Obama's America grossed an impressive $1.2 million last weekend as it upped its theater count from 61 to 169 for a total gross of $2 million, the second-best showing of the year for a documentary after Bully ($3.2 million). That doesn't include nature documentaries Chimpanzee ($29 million) and To the Arctic ($7.6 million).

It's already the No. 12 political documentary of all time -- a market that Michael Moore has cornered -- as well as the No. 2 conservative documentary after Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed ($7.7 million).
On Friday, Obama's America, co-directed by D'Souza and John Sullivan, will be playing in 1,075 theaters in an aggressive expansion that comes on the eve of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., which gets underway Aug. 27.

Obama's America, distributed by Rocky Mountain Pictures, first began rolling out in mid-July and has been slowly adding theaters. On Aug. 10, it opened in a number of markets, including New York and Los Angeles (including the conservative Simi Valley).

Some in Hollywood were stumped by the amount of business the documentary did at the Regal Union Square Stadium 14 in lower Manhattan, situated in a liberal neighborhood where films from the likes of Moore have done huge business.

{read more at the link}

Something tells me that Obama needs to be worried about job security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So let's see if it has the legs to surpass "Fahrenheit 9/11", which has grossed $119M in theaters to date.
and Bush still won re-election. In other words, this documentary will do little to nothing to sway the voting publics opinion.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Yeah the social conservatives...they aren't about division at all.

I was a Republican (still registered as one) but I cannot limit freedom and liberty in this nation with the American Taliban trying to change laws and public policy through the Republican Party. Nope, no, no way, nada.

And I am an advocate for the military but you cannot simultaneously keep defense spending at its current level (outspending every other nation on the planet combined) and keep taxes low, and promise to lower them even MORE.

AND

Vote against infrastructure spending, be anti mass transit, work against the environment (see the Mississippi River delta region and Gulf Coast)...and claim you love this country and want her to be strong and prosperous for generations.
I believe that the blessings of America are leaving because of the direction we are going.. the moral fiber of this country is shredding . Take a good look and listen to tv , the music and the movies and see it is plunging down on a steady course.

Today the atheists are upset about a cross at ground zero. Anything decent and moral is now bad.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
The lines from the BHO... 'my father's dream, my dream, it's in my jeans...' I just looked at the TV and said BullShout.

Then they showed the Iwo Jima flag, a couple of DC monuments and said, 'Our founding fathers had a dream...'. And yeah, that's the one in my jeans.

I'll look forward to the movie on TV, though I suspect it's the background noise of many of our lives.
Do you keep it in your pocket?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I believe that the blessings of America are leaving because of the direction we are going.. the moral fiber of this country is shredding . Take a good look and listen to tv , the music and the movies and see it is plunging down on a steady course.

Today the atheists are upset about a cross at ground zero. Anything decent and moral is now bad.
If there is a god, I sure hope he's not vengeful. More and more, it makes sense why the Maya calender ends near the end of the year. We have basically done everything imaginable to squander everything that made this country great, yet so much of the world is dependent on a successful America. If and when we really screw things up for good, it will certainly send shockwaves across the globe. I blame the liberal feel-good than do it attitude, as well as the atmosphere of legislating prosperity, which historically never works. For every failure the government will create, they will legislate another solution, which will fail, and the cycle will continue until the system ultimately fails. It will be ugly. Pitchforks and broomsticks ugly

Remember when Americans valued honesty, decency, and morality??? Me neither. Far too young. Must have been a great time to live though.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM

640 posts, read 717,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Yeah the social conservatives...they aren't about division at all.

I was a Republican (still registered as one) but I cannot limit freedom and liberty in this nation with the American Taliban trying to change laws and public policy through the Republican Party. Nope, no, no way, nada.

And I am an advocate for the military but you cannot simultaneously keep defense spending at its current level (outspending every other nation on the planet combined) and keep taxes low, and promise to lower them even MORE.

AND

Vote against infrastructure spending, be anti mass transit, work against the environment (see the Mississippi River delta region and Gulf Coast)...and claim you love this country and want her to be strong and prosperous for generations.
Best post on CD...are you suggesting that we, as a country, need to move beyond rhetoric and find solutions?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
What a load of bull. The movie never even touches on Obama's time as a CIA Martian time traveler in the 1980s. I walked out and demanded my money back.
Was there anything about half-a$ $ed, wanna-be forum trolls in the movie?
(Guess you didn't stay for that part?)

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool.
It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Published in the Prager Zeitung, Czech Republic

Last edited by MrClose; 08-23-2012 at 01:07 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Wow!
That's awesomely awesome!

if it keeps going, it might even turn a profit!! Too awesome!

Palin's documentary Unchained pulled in that much in the same amount of time, then topped out at $2.1 million before dying like a road killed moose. The guy who made it is still weeping and tearing his clothes, because it wiped him out. I sincerely hope that the producer of this pile has deeper pockets. $3 million is the minimum it takes to break even these days in theaters.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
$1,999,993 more than you make at your job working at Micky Dees.....

Of course, the libs of today will hate this movie.... which is exactly the reason I will like it
Usually, I like a film because it's good. To each their own.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Usually, I like a film because it's good. To each their own.
Well, it appears that millions of people like the film because it is good! To each his own....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies