Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No your taxes stay the same if your have children, but then they give some back, because its a refund, so you know, the kids can eat, and be clothed, did you know if no one had children, there would be no America in 50-55 years.
And the problem with this is?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Original post is an epic fail for irrelevant comparison.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I see people still dont understand the difference between the restraints placed on the Federal Government by the constitution, and the fact that state and local governments do not derive their power from the Constitution....

People really. if you want to sound S M R T... learn something about the constitution.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
The only reason I object to this is that I don't drink booze so I feel shafted having to pay for something which I shall never have to use.... Apart from that if it helps with lowering drink driving rates ( as huge fines in France and even prison sentences have done in the last decade) and forces some selfish moronic piece of turd to think about getting in a car whilst drunk then I am all for it.

This is not a conspiracy, there is no evil plan apart from stopping the murder of innocent people on the roads. Good for the government. As a society we do require rules and regulations and we all have duties as well as rights. A bill of duties might not be such a bad thing when we aim to live among other human beings as most of us do.

And yes we do need protection from others and often also ourselves and sometimes only legislation has any effect on the masses when it comes to what should be obvious common sensical , sensible actions in the first place.

People are usually afraid of the consequences if it means losing their savings to a fine or their job to a prison sentence, so if a cheap small implement helps in that fight then even better.

Without Laws we would have total anarchy and a free for all society with no order and no sense of restraint. It's a bit like taxes, nobody really wants to have to pay them but IMO they are a necessary evil and society is worse off without them.

I suppose it all depends whether people believe in society or simply "me, me,me" and nothing else.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
If that was the USA I would wonder which politicians owned big shares of stocks in the company that makes breathalyzers. Pelosi????? A Kennedy????

Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I realize you'll probably never be able to see the difference, BUT...........

Taxes/penalties on all of the endeavors you mentioned are easily avoided by simply not participating; i.e., don't buy or drive a car, don't open a business, don't buy a house, yada yada.

Our only alternative to not participating on O'Care is to stop breathing.

See how easy it is to understand when you use your brain?

You are prepared to pay in CASH for medical services before those services are rendered?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I see people still dont understand the difference between the restraints placed on the Federal Government by the constitution, and the fact that state and local governments do not derive their power from the Constitution....
And that is a good thing... why? James Madison must have been a fool for having said this (during his presentation of Bill of Rights):

"I know, in some of the State constitutions, the power of the Government is controlled by such a declaration; but others are not. I cannot see any reason against obtaining even a double security on those points; and nothing can give a more sincere proof of the attachment of those who opposed this constitution to these great and important rights, than to see them join in obtaining the security I have now proposed; because it must be admitted, on all hands, that the State Governments are as liable to attack the invaluable privileges as the General Government is, and therefore ought to be as cautiously guarded against."

Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
1) No one forces you to drive a truck
2) No one forces you to drive a car
3) No one forces you to open up a business
4) No one forces you to be a home owner
5) No one forces you to have a business
6) No one forces you to live in your neighborhood..

Your list FAILS!!!
The list did not "fail at all". The OP stated that people that own cars in France are mandated to purchase the test kit. Therefore, you response should have been to the OP. The poster you responded to merely gave a list of other similar examples.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
#3 I am my own business. They call me self employed, even though I am fully employed. I do not have to purchase a license to do business.
You may own your own business, but you do own a Business.

I am the sole employee of my Business. Now that might be considered "self-employed" but on my corporate tax return I am listed as an employee. My Business, is licensed and chartered by the state and by the borough in which it is located.

I own a Business, you are simply self-employed.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Well get ready for a mega tax on your homes for not having solar panels.....or buying an overpriced electric car...or being 10 lbs overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies