Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

On two occasions, our insurance did not cover my daughters injuries, because they happened on someone else's property.

I ended up paying cash for the stitches and emergency room visit.

By paying cash, it was less than the deductible I was going to have to pay.

?????

If you have insurance, your treatment cost more? They get more of the pie than if you pay cash for treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
Shouldn't the property owners have been responsible for her injuries?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I never meet the deductible, what health care my family has had is just paid in cash.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
That's what a lot of people where I live do -- my insurance agent warned me to be very careful who my invited guests are -- so many people are lawsuit happy and don't bother to buy health insurance and often will not have their kids play in their own yards for that reason but shuffle them off to play in other peoples' yards so that if they get hurt they can expect that homeowner or his insurance to pay.

These kids will even invite themselves to come and play in your yard, jump on your kids' trampoline, climb in your trees, bring their roller skates to use on your property so you can pay if they get hurt.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
On two occasions, our insurance did not cover my daughters injuries, because they happened on someone else's property.

?????

If you have insurance, your treatment cost more? They get more of the pie than if you pay cash for treatment.
First of all, I'm no fan of healthcare insurance providers. As with all insurance providers, they do everything in their power to get premiums, and NOT pay out.

That said, there are several things you need to know about this:
1. Injuries that take place on somebody else's property, are typically covered by that property owner's liability insurance.
2. The deductible amount - chosen by you - always has to be paid "out of pocket" before insurance kicks in. The bill is 100% yours until you've "met" your deductible.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's what a lot of people where I live do -- my insurance agent warned me to be very careful who my invited guests are -- so many people are lawsuit happy and don't bother to buy health insurance and often will not have their kids play in their own yards for that reason but shuffle them off to play in other peoples' yards so that if they get hurt they can expect that homeowner or his insurance to pay.

These kids will even invite themselves to come and play in your yard, jump on your kids' trampoline, climb in your trees, bring their roller skates to use on your property so you can pay if they get hurt.

I'm not sure about lawsuit happy people , I just know that there is usually a part in the homeowners insurance that covers such accidents on your property.
We did have to utilize this when my brother was injured while doing some work on a friend's home...and my other brother had to cover someone who walked into a hole in his yard.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:

I'm not going to sue my mother-in-law, that is on a fixed income. Things happen on the old farm.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
I'm not going to sue my mother-in-law, that is on a fixed income. Things happen on the old farm.
You're not suing her, you're filing a claim against her homeowners' insurance policy.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:

?????

There is something wrong with your presentation of the facts. When someone is injured, they go either to a hospital or a doctor. The hospital or doctor takes down the health insurance information for treatment and doesn't ask the particulars about any property owner.

Health insurance covers medical treatment, which is paid immediately. If the injury was caused by someone elses negligence, that's a tort and one can sue or the insurance company can sue on your behalf to recover medical costs. That can take years. But your health care insurance pays for your medical treatment right now and they don't deny coverage because 7 years from now a court might decide it's some third party's liability.

Sorry, but that part of your presentation is hogwash.

Now, it is possible that making a side deal with the doctor might be lower than your deductible but that depends upon your policy. I guess if you have a $500 deductible that could be true. My doctor's visit co-pays are $20 and I find it difficult to believe that a doctor will stitch a patient for less than $20.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:

?????

Yes. 100% true. By paying cash, I got big discounts, more than 50%, for a medical emergency a little less than a year ago. Cash talks!

I would imagine most doctors and hospitals would love to rid themselves of the albatross known as 'insurance'.

Quote:
What a pathetic, pitiful, liberal, ugly thing to say.

They are responsible ONLY if they wilfully caused the injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You're not suing her, you're filing a claim against her homeowners' insurance policy.
And making her costs go up.

DOH!

Yes, it's SUING, no matter what pretty brush you use to paint it into something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies