U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM

12,439 posts, read 5,817,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Draftees flew helicopters in Iraq? Man, the things you learn around here.

I think he may need to get out of his hottub time machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:54 PM

9,263 posts, read 6,160,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
He never said she wasn't a true hero. He was stating that she never shuts up about it.

Now, was it insensitive? yes, was it untrue? maybe not.

I'll tell you one thing though, It was a stupid political move on his part.
Yep.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM

4,061 posts, read 1,985,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Republican Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL), knocked his Democratic opponent Tammy Duckworth — a veteran who lost both of her legs as a helicopter pilot in Iraq — for talking about her military career too much. Discussing her accomplishments, Walsh suggested, meant that Duckworth was not a “true [hero].

I’m running against a woman who — I mean, my God, that’s all she talks about,” said Walsh, in video posted by Think Progress. “Our true heroes, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. Our true heroes, the men and women who served us, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. That’s why we are so indebted and in awe of what they have done.”

Walsh Slams Duckworth: ‘True Heroes’ Don’t Talk About Their Military Service | TPM2012

Says the man who never served a day in his life. I guess only Republican vets are heroes...
Strange how he knows what "true Heroes" will and won't talk about...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM

6,342 posts, read 2,142,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
This just bugs the hell out of me. I am not a vet. But my father and stepfather and uncles and grandfather was. I respect what veterans do and have done...what the heck gives him the right to think its ok to bash ANY VETERAN? I think veterans groups need to get behind the woman running against him and make sure he is defeated..just pisses me off.
Tell me, does your Father, stepfather, uncles, and grandfather try to sway the opinion of people by telling people how much they did for them back in whatever conflict they served in?

Have you ever heard me try to win praise from people here by telling you all about my exploits on submarines, or my Letter of Commendation from ComSubGru 2, Vice Admiral Vogt, back when I was on active duty, or how I was permanently injured doing what I signed up to do?

I think what Rep Walsh is trying to say, however insensitively, is run on a platform, of what you want to do, not something that happened in the past.

I respect what she has done, but everyone and myself, really don't need to be reminded of it at every turn.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM

8,264 posts, read 5,068,672 times
Thumbs down Walsh = chickenhawk, never served a single day...

Quote:
"Republican Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL), knocked his Democratic opponent Tammy Duckworth — a veteran who lost both of her legs as a helicopter pilot in Iraq — for talking about her military career too much. Discussing her accomplishments, Walsh suggested, meant that Duckworth was not a “true [hero].

I’m running against a woman who — I mean, my God, that’s all she talks about,” said Walsh, in video posted by Think Progress. “Our true heroes, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. Our true heroes, the men and women who served us, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. That’s why we are so indebted and in awe of what they have done.”

Walsh Slams Duckworth: ‘True Heroes’ Don’t Talk About Their Military Service | TPM2012

Says the man who never served a day in his life. I guess only Republican vets are heroes...

Walsh is going home in January.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 PM

11,544 posts, read 4,485,003 times
Quote:

Walsh is a deadbeat father who neglects his financial obligations to his children. Are you really surprised.

Tea party = slamming injured veterans and supporting deadbeat fathers

Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 PM

4,061 posts, read 1,985,049 times
William Joseph "Joe" Walsh

He called himself a moderate Republican in the 1990s, but he is now a conservative and a Tea Party activist.[11][12]

During his 2010 campaign as a fiscal conservative and following his election to Congress, several media outlets reported on Walsh's personal financial issues, such as past due child support, a recent condo foreclosure, and tax liens from the 1990s.[

On July 28, 2011, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that Walsh's ex-wife, Laura, was suing him for $117,437 for past due child support dating from 2005 for three of the children.

Vega also wanted to know why Walsh failed to appear. In court, Walsh’s attorney, Janet Boyle, asked Vega "for what purpose" he wanted the congressman in court. When Vega appeared puzzled by the question, Boyle said, "Mr. Walsh is a U.S. congressman." Vega replied, "Well, he’s no different than anyone else."[54]

Yeah this guy sounds like a real "hero".

Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 PM

7,295 posts, read 2,674,308 times
Here's my $.02: He's basicly insinuating the electorate should not be allowed or not are smart enough to determine his opponents credentials as a candidate for election should include her mention of her service history.

I believe the American electorate is at least smart enough to come to the conclusion she is either a "braggert", someone making too much of her service and injury OR she is not. They do not need this piece of "A"-wipe to spell it out for them.

Other vets are the only ones who would, in my mind, be entitled questioning her propensity for putting her service history "front and center" in an election bid. It's nothing new for the service history to figure prominantly in the suitability of a candidate for higher office (Ike, Kennedy McCain, Bush I) and more than one person (Kerry, Bush II) has been judged wanting in that regard.

Walsh is the last guy to raise the issue and the electorate themselves will be the ultimate decider if her raising the issue brings currency or shame to the effort.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM

9,007 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You guys are being too hard on Walsh. He could not serve in the military because he was too busy NOT paying child support.

Rep. Joe Walsh owes $117,000 in child support, suit says - Chicago Tribune

This guy is a scumbag. Clear and simple. I don't care what party that he is in. Who in the hell would vote for this dude.
If he said,"Let's get rid of all social programmes, let's abolish minumum wages, let's gut consummer protections, let's reduce taxes on the wealthiest Americans, let's move America back to the "Golden age" when the people knew their place". If he said those things then millions of idiots would vote for him!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 12,030,294 times
Thumbs down Tea Party Darling Joe Walsh Attacks U.S. Veteran Tammy Duckworth On Her Service Record!

Deadbeat Dad Joe Walsh, well known for his emotional rants replete with screaming and incoherent comments, attacks his political opponent Tammy Duckworth on her Service Record.

Tammy lost the use of one arm and literally lost both legs defending our country.

Just how would the GOP react IF a Democrat treated a Republican candidate in this fashion; attacking and belittling our Military Personnel?????

He should be ASHAMED and reprimanded by The Republican Party!

Joe Walsh NEVER served in our Military!

Joe Walsh Attacks Tammy Duckworth's Military Service Record

Rep. Joe Walsh Blasts Double Amputee's Military Service, Says She's Not A 'True Hero' | ThinkProgress

Joe Walsh Accuses Tammy Duckworth, Double Amputee, Of Not Being A 'True Hero'

Deadbeat Dad Joe Walsh Attacks Iraq Vet and Double Amputee Tammy Duckworth

Joe Walsh attacks Tammy Duckworth on war record - POLITICO.com

Veterans Group Condemns Rep. Joe Walsh For Attacking Double Amputee's Military Service, Calls For Resignation | ThinkProgress

Veterans Flood Rep. Joe Walsh's Facebook Page To Denounce His Attacks Against Double Amputee | ThinkProgress

The ED Show - Tea Party Congressman attacks war veteran - YouTube

Rep. Joe Walsh yells at his constituents - YouTube

Rep Joe Walsh (R-IL) Melts Down, Shouts "Don't Blame Banks!" - YouTube

Chris Matthews takes down Rep. Joe Walsh - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies