Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM

552 posts, read 734,670 times

Advertisements

[quote=irishvanguard;25018172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^^Typical speak from someone without a college degree.QUOTE]

Typical ignorant, judgemental statement from you.

I would dare say that university graduates with at least two Chemistry credits and two Calculus credits are rarely liberal. Liberals tend to have an education more skewered to the Humanities.
I like how everyone here brings in facts that are only opinion. How about the fact that a college graduate is much more likely to have a job and will make way more then the average person. Sure shoot off a select few who are millionaires that did not complete high school. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, etc. All geniuses that excelled in academia. Something 99% of us can never achieve due to unique abilities, for the average American though statistics show that you will do much better with a college degree. Check the numbers, unless of course you need to brush up on your arithmetic.

Trust me your bosses boss is probably college educated, maybe even in just the humanities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, let's put it this way, people who apply what they know are higher up on the food chain (in my opinion) that the ones who sit in their university ivory towers and pontificate. I guess it doesn't matter what we call them.
Not that I'm agreeing with this (far from it), but it's not what we're talking about anyway!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,456,700 times
[quote=BentBow;25018489]
Quote:

Where are your real stats?

It is well known, there are more college educated conservatives, than there are progressives.

3/4 of the progressive voting base are uneducated poor entitlement parasites the other 1/4 are the elite, my crap don't stink, ruling class.
Ok I had to point this out. Is this how your thought process really works?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 AM

12,884 posts, read 13,550,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
"Transmission of Complex Information"....what is more complex than figuring out a life situation with no one there to guide you but your own common sense and a feel for what is right? I am not saying that college is not a good thing..what I am saying is that there have been many successful people, myself included who don't feel deprived because they have not been to college.
My sister in law is an Attorney and just recently graduated from Yale Divinity School while in her 50's. Kudos for her but she is now a retired Attorney and has not pursued being a minister even though she is ordained. She is a perpetual student as she is again contemplating more education. HOWEVER...she didn't know her home where she has lived for years had more than one heating zone, she had a snake in her basement and let him stay there because "he wasn't hurting anything" and she in general hasn't a lick of common sense.
I am married, as I said, to one of the smartest men I have ever known. He has more than one degree in Art and has been certified to teach school. He has taught primary grades and also has taught in the middle school and college environments. Between jobs, he worked as a laborer in a factory and at a gas station..he works hard. He has never had a position using his ART degree and learned the computer stuff he now does by the seat of his pants...which he could have done without the big degrees because he is SMART.

Going through life and getting the most out of it is admirable. I thought that was what we all are supposed to do, formally educated or not. Being intelligent and having aptitude is not always something a college education can guarantee. Having said that people go through the process of being formally educated for many reasons.

Some people have no choice and its is a requirement of the field they would like to work in. There are many jobs I have seen listed in a small town that require high school or GED because they like to take into account that some people have life experience that has uniquely qualified them for certain jobs. Particularly people over fifty.

I grew up an industrial town where the local school board decided that a male couldn't get a high school diploma with a semester of; auto mechanics, welding, plastics, wood working, and electronics so after high school we could work for an auto maker a live happily ever after.

Although I think life experience and a college degree may have the same intrinsic value, a college education is more marketable. Employers look a college graduate differently because there is no transcript for life experience out side of the background check, credit score and tax compliance.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 AM

28,396 posts, read 16,242,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.

I would say this is a common misconception that plagues both sides of the aisle, equally.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 AM

28,396 posts, read 16,242,411 times
[quote=irishvanguard;25018172]
Quote:
^^^^Typical speak from someone without a college degree.QUOTE]

Typical ignorant, judgemental statement from you.

I would dare say that university graduates with at least two Chemistry credits and two Calculus credits are rarely liberal. Liberals tend to have an education more skewered to the Humanities.

That's funny - my two most liberal friends are.... wait for it..... mechanical engineers. My most conservative friend was a Journalism majoy. Go figure.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,038,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.

Why are RWNJs so afraid of education?

Just asking...

Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,573,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, let's put it this way, people who apply what they know are higher up on the food chain (in my opinion) that the ones who sit in their university ivory towers and pontificate. I guess it doesn't matter what we call them.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

“'American universities have tended to see a three-part mission, combining teaching with knowledge creation and community service. There is thus a historical linkage of the university and the private sector, leading to university R&D leading [in turn] to useful technologies.'"
US tops list of international patent-filing universities - University World News

Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,456,700 times
I just think it is funny that some people feel the need to bash other people on their accomplishments. That show real character right there. Threads like this that attempt to bash college graduates are just sad. Also using anecdotal stories and natural Geniuses (Someone even mentioned the Movie Good Will Hunting) as the norm is just foolish at best. I mean really guys, what is wrong with going to college and getting an education? Statistically, it is the smartest choice to make in this day and age if you are to succeed.

Example:
Go to school and get a Degree in Engineering.
Time: 4 years
Outcome: Getting a Job in Said Engineering discipline.
Starting Pay: 50K and up.
Non college Alternative: Sh*t if I know.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,906,291 times
ed·u·cat·ed   [ej-oo-key-tid] Show IP adjective

"1.having undergone education: educated people."

Educated | Define Educated at Dictionary.com

1: having an education; especially : having an education beyond the average.

Educated - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

1. having an education, esp a good one

educated - definition of educated by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies