Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Another thread dedicated to the put down of higher education.
Why do some people think that by putting down the college educated it makes them seem smarter??
FWIW, all of my most conservative friends are college educated and are total elitists when it comes to the "uneducated."

On the contrary, I am amplifying how significant and undervalued the total life experience is , and in my opinion is one's real education. Also, in college I would never take most of what my professors said literally. I would always question and draw my own conclusions. I see too many younger college students taking what their professors dish out as the holy grail. Additionally, I simply think most professors would have a hard time working in the real world. They love having young, often naive kids look up to them, view them as intelligent with challenging them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Another thread dedicated to the put down of higher education.
Why do some people think that by putting down the college educated it makes them seem smarter??
FWIW, all of my most conservative friends are college educated and are total elitists when it comes to the "uneducated."
Just because a person does not have an advanced degree does not make a person stupid. I don't know any liberal who thinks that way. Starting threads attacking higher education...well maybe.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.
I agree that there are different type of Intelligences and psychology courses even teach about them. However, current exams do not measure those type of intelligences and in the real world a degree is worth more (and it has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative). It's great that you and other people were able to succeed in life without a degree, but I would say it's an exception to the rule. Stats show that those with higher learning tend to make more money and thus are more successful.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 AM

170 posts, read 129,239 times
Colleges provide the resources that are not available to individuals alone. For example if I want to be a chemist, it's far better to go get a degree in chemistry than to try my hand at it. For liberal arts college provides a setting where ideas meet with other ideas as well as a whole host of resources.

Nobody is saying that college is the end all be all. However in today's society, the benefit of specialization and resources provided by a university help to attain a position that promotes further life experiences. Those life experiences help people grow and become educated in other ways.

To bash college is the wrong way of looking at the situation. Rather, look at it as a stepping stone for further development.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Additionally, I simply think most professors would have a hard time working in the real world. They love having young, often naive kids look up to them, view them as intelligent with challenging them!
Can you provide us with an example of what you mean by "challenging" one's professors? (I'm assuming that you meant "withOUT challenging them" and that you were referring to the kids not challenging their professors rather than the other way around. Your post lacks clarity.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's a very good question. I think it has to do with the liberals' elitism.

Liberals think if something required a large sum of money it's automatically great. Especially if it required a whole lot of government (ie taxpayers) money.

It's just like the way the liberals sneer at those working blue collar types they call "rednecks" and despise people in affordable housing that they call trailer trash.
I went to college w/o taking out any loans, as did DH.

I have never called anyone trash in my life!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I am amplifying how significant and undervalued the total life experience is , and in my opinion is one's real education. Also, in college I would never take most of what my professors said literally. I would always question and draw my own conclusions. I see too many younger college students taking what their professors dish out as the holy grail. Additionally, I simply think most professors would have a hard time working in the real world. They love having young, often naive kids look up to them, view them as intelligent with challenging them!
Someday, when you are older and, hopefully, wiser you will realize that the bolded portion of your above post is what higher education is all about. It doesn't make you smarter than other people, it makes you smarter than you were before you started learning.

Based on your posts in this thread, it is clear that you are still a work in progress.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where are your real stats?

It is well known, there are more college educated conservatives, than there are progressives.

3/4 of the progressive voting base are uneducated poor entitlement parasites the other 1/4 are the elite, my crap don't stink, ruling class.
Well known?
Then you're able to provide backing to your statement, right?

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-04-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Common Sense is not taught in college.
Yes it is. Common sense is nothing but logic. Most of many subjects taught in college depend on logical thinking. Logic is also taught as a subject.

The first purpose of a college degree is to learn how to think and reason carefully. Everything else is a study and development of a particular skill. Some of those skills require a person to get their hands dirty, and some don't.

College at it's core is nothing more than concentrated, disciplined development of coherent thinking skills.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
A large portion of people in general are stupid also most of the college graduates who give college a bad name never actually sit in college. They attend for profit internet "Universities" with all the admission standards of a McDonald's drive-through window. (You got money? Well what is your order?)

Though generally, in my experience with stupid people, the chances of a person not having a college degree being stupid, are much, much higher then the chances of a person with a college degree being stupid.
Not just the internet universities. A significant number of universities no longer have admission standards of any kind. And if some student repeats classes often enough and just sticks with it -- maybe taking 8 years instead of 4, eventually that student will be handed a degree.

Times are changing. 20 years ago you had to be a little bit intelligent to make it through college - although not especially smart. Now with everyone able to go to college, no matter what their gpa, or ability, a college degree doesn't mean all that much. And it definitely doesn't mean someone has a work ethic or any ambition. It doesn't mean someone can read and follow written procedures - or write them, it doesn't mean one can analyze a situation or perform complex math.

Now with the tuition going sky high, many of your smarter kids who can do a little math might just decide on some field that gets them earning money right away and that doesn't require a loan that will take at least 30 years to pay off. Those who realize that half of college graduates are not finding jobs -- and that employers can just easily bring in H1B visa immigrants who will work for much less than the American student would have wanted -- what's the point in taking on $100,000 in debt when the employers can easily find employees eager to take $40,000 a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies