Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

I am liberal and don't believe that university is the only kind of education there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.
What happened...someone belittled you for being uneducated?

Damn...that sucks.

I guess it's official....the right has gone anti-education now.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
If only both political parties would listen to themselves, they'd realize that half of what they hate each other for isn't even real.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
A dumbass with a college degree is still a dumbass.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Apparently, now the right has an anti-education movement going.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Most of the population of this country are dumbasses. So what? If there is another First World nation with more knuckledragging boobs than this one, i sure as hell have never heard of it.

So, that said, a dumbass with a college degree is still better than being a dumbass without one all day long.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
I've never heard liberals say that only a university education makes one "educated".

Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM

589 posts, read 850,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Right, right. But then tell me this?

How many doctors without medical degrees have you taken your kids to?

How many dentists with out degrees, have you gone to?

How many lawyers would you hire, that had never been to law school?

While it is possible to have a college degree, and still be a 'dumbass,' just as it's possible to only have a high school education, but still be a very smart person, the facts are that on a percentage basis, there are a lot more dumbass high school educated people, than there are dumbass college graduates.

And finally, as a high school graduate, do you consider yourself to be better educated, and superior to someone that dropped out of school after the 8th grade?

Last edited by Nomad58; 07-04-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 02:22 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Apparently, now the right has an anti-education movement going.
Logical progression. Anti-intellectual will eventually become anti-intellect.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You are talking about what it was supposed to be -- not what it's become. Today college is a glorified trade school where everyone assumes if they get $100,000 in loans to get a degree, they are automatically entitled to a 6 figure career.

My grandfather only got through third grade but he could explain vector forces better than any college professor and he learned them through playing pool. And he knew how to apply vector forces amazingly well.
I can't argue that a lot of college education has changed over the past decade. Universities have created a lot of ancillary tech and trade schools since 2000, and they are trade schools, but I wouldn't automatically call them glorified- some are, as they offer advanced training in certain fields, but others aren't; there are many that teach basic and essential skills for work in the trades.

But I think you are over-generalizing. Colleges these days do a lot of career counseling that is very honest about the job opportunities, financial potential and employability of many popular majors, but it's up to the students as to whether they ignore the advice or change majors. Kids are kids. Some are going to have false expectations, and some aren't.

A lot of Grandfathers never made it far in school, but that's neither here nor there nowadays. Skilled workers are always in demand somewhere, but it's hard to pack the tool belt for a lifetime, and higher education offers a means to hold a job in the front office once the old knees are getting worn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies