Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 PM

362 posts, read 589,545 times

Advertisements

doctors dont like obamacare-doctors dont like bs paperwork-the health care system is broken in 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's not broken any more. Obamacare fixed it. On 1/1/2014, all of Obamacare will be in effect. It will break again if Romney gets in the GOP repeals it.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:00 AM

318 posts, read 638,934 times
A heart attack at only 38 years of age. I take it the OP has the same eating habits as the rapper Rick Ross.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
our health care system IS the best in the world. our health insurance system is what is broken. there is a huge difference.
Not according to the World Health Organisation.

World Health Organization’s Ranking of the World’s Health Systems | thepatientfactor.com

Old 04-12-2014, 04:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
When I was operating my own business some 30 years ago health insurance was the biggest bill I had to pay. That bill, and the collapse of the alternate energy business, was the reason I went back to work for others. FWIW - I closed the business with all bills paid.

We really need to separate health care from employment. As in my case, paying for health care forces many talented people to take jobs for others instead of running their own company. UHC would remove this block and free a lot more people to work for themselves instead of creating profit for their employers.

I suggest the OP consult a credit consoler or a bankruptcy lawyer. I also suggest he sell his cars and replace them with cheaper vehicles.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:56 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
A heart attack at only 38 years of age. I take it the OP has the same eating habits as the rapper Rick Ross.
Well if someone has a heart attack at that early of an age (38). It's usually not due to bad habits (smoking overweight bad eating).

It could be due to medical reasons like diabetes (which can lead to clogginf of the arteries earlier in life) or family genetics.

Of course some people who use drugs like cocaine can also have heart attacks at an early age.

So don't assume people live unhealthy lifestyle who have heart attacks especially those at an early age. Family genetics plays a big part of the reason and also underlying medical problems like diabetes.

Of course the older you get the bad lifestyle choices (smoking obesity) will take it toll on your body. But usually not at age 38.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Self employed people can write off 100% of their healthcare.....yep all of it.....on a schedule "C".

This thread is old.....but, not to old for the OP to file a schedule "X" and get some of this money back.

I know sometimes it is hard for a self employed person to pay those monthly pricey healthcare bills.....however they are 100% deducible.

To the OP......go see a good CPA.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:11 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance...

Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.

I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? And why is it that we are the only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care program yet we can spend untold billions to send our sons and daughters off to die in illegal wars for sake of Halliburton's profit margin? We are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..

While the politicians continue to play political football with this issue, working class families like mine still cannot afford health care and health insurance CEO's continue to rake in $23mil per year.
I'm glad that you're okay.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Self employed people can write off 100% of their healthcare.....yep all of it.....on a schedule "C".

This thread is old.....but, not to old for the OP to file a schedule "X" and get some of this money back.

I know sometimes it is hard for a self employed person to pay those monthly pricey healthcare bills.....however they are 100% deducible.

To the OP......go see a good CPA.
Not all self employed at scheduled C. S corp you have to re add premiums back to W2 wages.

Regardless a "deduction" on schedule C is worth anywhere between a 20%-39% reduction.

The "credit" given by the ACA is worth a lot more. Maybe people can double dip! Take the deduction and get the subsidy credit. I think they can. Nothing in the ACA says you can't double dip as long as you are less than 400% of poverty.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Not all self employed at scheduled C. S corp you have to re add premiums back to W2 wages.

Regardless a "deduction" on schedule C is worth anywhere between a 20%-39% reduction.

The "credit" given by the ACA is worth a lot more. Maybe people can double dip! Take the deduction and get the subsidy credit. I think they can. Nothing in the ACA says you can't double dip as long as you are less than 400% of poverty.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

Take a look......all healthcare is 100% deductible if you use a schedule C.

I agree some can benefit greatly from the ACA.

I know more than one contractor with a million plus in assets that qualified for Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies