Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM

683 posts, read 822,512 times

Advertisements

I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance...

Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.

I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? And why is it that we are the only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care program yet we can spend untold billions to send our sons and daughters off to die in illegal wars for sake of Halliburton's profit margin? We are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..

While the politicians continue to play political football with this issue, working class families like mine still cannot afford health care and health insurance CEO's continue to rake in $23mil per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,676,785 times
tough way to go for you, and i feel for you. as for the costs, negotiate with the hospital and see if they can do a few things for you such as;

1: reduce the size of the bill they sent you. a lot of the things they put in the bill are way over priced(aspirin for instance is something like $1.50 each), or is stuff they put in to help cover operating expenses.

2: offer them a payment plan you can afford. if $800 is too much for you to pay, offer them what you can pay, perhaps $500 per month or so?

3: negotiate with the doctors that worked your case as well and see if they will accept a lower amount, and accept payments.

4: offer to trade work for part of the bill. for instance perhaps the hospital will let you "volunteer" part time to help cover the bills. they always need people in a variety of areas.

5: you can even talk to the hospital about writing off a portion of the debt even after getting prices reduced.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,972,895 times
Extremely sorry about the heart attack and I wish you a well recovery.

Why weren't you offered Charity Care? Is there a way that you can go back and speak with the administration at the hospital about this? The Charity care is supposed to be at the tax payers expense, isn't it? You're a tax payer and I'm sure you're paying your taxes. Why didn't they offer it to you at the hospital. Could you have refused to sign any release?

And yes, that's the plight of America. The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,987,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance...

Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.

I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? And why is it that we are the only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care program yet we can spend untold billions to send our sons and daughters off to die in illegal wars for sake of Halliburton's profit margin? We are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..

While the politicians continue to play political football with this issue, working class families like mine still cannot afford health care and health insurance CEO's continue to rake in $23mil per year.
That really sucks!

You have my prayers.

Things will work out.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,654,226 times
And people still have the gall to say our health care is the best ever hope you get better soon.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,676,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
And people still have the gall to say our health care is the best ever hope you get better soon.
our health care system IS the best in the world. our health insurance system is what is broken. there is a huge difference.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,162,120 times
It's unfortunate that you had a heart attack, but feel lucky that you were at least able to have access to medical care and are now alive to tell others about your experience. For most people in the world, that event would have ended their lives.

Life is unpredictable. If lightning struck your home and burnt it to the ground, whose responsibility would it be to repair your home or buy you a new one? Yours. You have to prepare for these types of things and yes, sometimes things are out of your hands. Life does not always go swimmingly. Sometimes there is tragedy and hardship. Learn from your experience, but don't point the finger at others because things didn't go the way that you hoped. It's easy to say, "If only I was as lucky or as rich as that other person, things would be better for me." Just remember that for all the burdens that you have to endure, there's millions of others that have it far worse and they would point to you and think you have it so much easier than them.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,865,036 times
The OP highlights one of the major problems in the whole debate over healthcare in this country.

In theory, going to a free market solution sounds good. In theory, getting insurance companies and government out of health care sounds good. But, in reality, when something really serious happens, if you don't have insurance cover and if you don't have government support (Medicaid, VA, Medicare, etc.) then you can be in really serious financial trouble. And charity is not a good or reliable alternative to proper cover.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,865,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
our health care system IS the best in the world. our health insurance system is what is broken. there is a huge difference.
That really is not true. We provide very good health care but not significantly better than other developed countries. And we pay a lot more for it than those countries. For what we are paying, we should be getting a lot more.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,954,690 times
My neighbor had a heart attack a few years ago and the hospital helped him get it covered with Medicaid. Hope you recover quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies