Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,160,107 times

Advertisements

My friend is a vet and I've bought him a beer or two many times, do I get some admiration and praise for my deeds??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM

10,019 posts, read 9,472,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
He can't buy his own lunch?

I'm sorry, he applied for a job.
He chose his career/job.
No one forced him to do anything.

Why is he special? He's not.

He's doing nothing for the US and not protecting any of my freedoms.
If anything, he's making my life less safe.
Truly disgusting......

Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I guess you're right. How many people in this country didn't apply for a job, didn't chose a career, and are not being forced to do anything, did I buy lunch for today? In fact, I hear there are now new ads out advertizing the fact that lunch is free for many more people, if you just ask for it.

I saw something on facebook that should really make people think:

The USDA is advertizing the food stamp program to promote the use of food stamps while there are signs in our National parks stating that no one should feed the animals because it makes them dependant and they will no longer be able to fend for themselves.

Your disdain for the military has been duly noted on CD. Considering you profess to live overseas I fail to see how this act of kindness affects you one way or the other. But, do you pay taxes here and buy the lunch of millions in this country? If so, how do they affect you and why are they special?
I wonder how many people saw the Lou Dobbs special in Hannity's time slot last evening. I doubt that many progs watched it or any of it even by accident. There was too much in it about just what you said here. Too much dependency on government, too many people glad to take unemployment with too many jobs available without takers other than some that need to work three months at a time to get back on unemployment. So many young entrepreneurs unable to hire people who want to work for anything but some easy money. It was an outstanding show and sure pointed out too much about what we are rapidly becoming.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,288,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's not the point

The point is that this young man is taking 4 years+ out of his life to serve his nation, he could die or come home without an arm or a leg ... and not many people acknowledge their sacrifices.
Do you offer to buy lunch for a police officer, a fire fighter, a garbage worker, a street cleaner.....all dangerous service oriented jobs...there are more I could think of. There is no draft right now. Being a soldier is a job.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
My friend is a vet and I've bought him a beer or two many times, do I get some admiration and praise for my deeds??
Bob is that you?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:24 PM

45,135 posts, read 26,317,877 times
An unemployed person grabs taxpayer mulah same as the soldier, and both do about the same for me.
You people opposed to welfare have a real blind spot when it comes to the military.
How many vets do we feed, clothe and house, how many broken vets are we paying to take care of and how many have we had to bury?
Someone tell me the benefit to all this money spent, resources destroyed and lives ruined?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Heh. Bought a round of beer for 4 soldiers "shipping out" once. Of course, it wasn't until after I bought the beer that they told me they were off to an Army base in - Hawaii. Bastards.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,971,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
the lunch that a soldier purchased at Baltimore airport last week. There were about 15-20 people inline ahead of me at Subway at BWI. When I got online, this young soldier was number four inline. Not one person acknowledged him, thanked him, or even offered to buy him lunch. As he was reaching into his pocket to pay I walked over to the register and said "Thanks man, this ones on me". These kids are leaving home for months at a time, many may not even come home. Take care of those that take care of us. Please acknowledge the men and women who serve America. If you can't afford to treat them to a lunch, a simple smile or thank you will make them feel good.
Nice to see some people appreciate those who serve the country, and who protect the freedoms of every single one of us, including those making the disrespectful comments about our servicemen and women. It's usually those who served in the military or who had relatives who served, who are the ones that understand the sacrifice young people make. Many who benefit from those who have served don't have a clue and are prone to act and talk like ignorant and disrespectful fools.

I served during the 80's and experienced the disrespect firsthand. Having said that, I would have probably felt a little uncomfortable if anyone had ever thanked me for my service, only because I've always been a humble person. But every once in awhile it would have been nice to hear it. Some of the comments people have made to me during my service and later in life after someone found out I had served, have been unreal.

Odd to read the rude comments in this thread, especially being the 4th of July. Some of you need to get grounded in reality. You can disagree whether we should have gone into Iraq, but that doesn't change the fact a lot of people were serving the nation (which included every single one of you) when they were killed. They aren't the ones that made the big decisions. Many of them joined up after 9/11 willing to fight the terrorists. You know, the ones who attacked us on 9/11. Google it, if you aren't aware what happened that day in 2001.

Then google 'Faces of Valor' and look at all the faces of those who died serving the country and fought the enemy over there so people like you wouldn't get blown up over here.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM

45,135 posts, read 26,317,877 times
When they march on congress and the white house, we will know they are finally "protecting our freedoms"

Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,288,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Nice to see some people appreciate those who serve the country, and who protect the freedoms of every single one of us, including those making the disrespectful comments about our servicemen and women. It's usually those who served in the military or who had relatives who served, who are the ones that understand the sacrifice young people make. Many who benefit from those who have served don't have a clue and are prone to act and talk like ignorant and disrespectful fools.

I served during the 80's and experienced the disrespect firsthand. Having said that, I would have probably felt a little uncomfortable if anyone had ever thanked me for my service, only because I've always been a humble person. But every once in awhile it would have been nice to hear it. Some of the comments people have made to me during my service and later in life after someone found out I had served, have been unreal.

Odd to read the rude comments in this thread, especially being the 4th of July. Some of you need to get grounded in reality. You can disagree whether we should have gone into Iraq, but that doesn't change the fact a lot of people were serving the nation (which included every single one of you) when they were killed. They aren't the ones that made the big decisions. Many of them joined up after 9/11 willing to fight the terrorists. You know, the ones who attacked us on 9/11. Google it, if you aren't aware what happened that day in 2001.

Then google 'Faces of Valor' and look at all the faces of those who died serving the country and fought the enemy over there so people like you wouldn't get blown up over here.
Can you please be specific about the disrespect you are addressing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies