Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Many states not yet underwater have taken it upon themselves to already cut their budgets. I know mine has and education as well as roads have taken a huge hit. This unfunded Medicaid expansion would force even larger cuts from necessary services. Frankly, Medicaid, just as food stamps, need to be for the poorest of the poor, and not a "stop gap" measure. People must start doing for themselves and their family members instead of expecting the state or federal governments to play the roll of Nanny or Uncle Sugar.
Education and roads got the bulk of stimulus money. That money is now gone. States cannot fill in that gap.

States also got "free" money to provide unemployment to part time workers. Well guess what..that free money ran out and now states have to support unemployment benefits for part time workers themselves.
That "free" money was only good for 2 years for unemployment benefits for p/t workers but states had to commit to keep paying it out after the free money ran out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,152 times
Good points.

Though, I really think McCaskill has been riding the sympathy vote - deceased husband died in plane crash in midst of his campaign for senate seat - these past few years. She has been maleable, towing the party line, which is the way the Dems like their women. Now, that she has a record, the sympathy is gone, as Missourians have seen the mess she has gone along with and supported. She played her Dem-woman role well. Now, it is time to replace her with a people's represenative.
Quote:
Gov. Nixon suprises me. He has his eye on a political future and it is very unlike him to break ranks with main line Progressives like Sen. McCaskill.

The Missouri Consitution has a provision called the Hancock Amendment which forbids unfunded mandates. I believe the the Medicaid expansion fits that description and may explain Gov. Nixon's resistance.

Regardless, Gov. Nixon gets a rare from me on this one.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Boy Kingâ„¢ lives in an insulated fantasy world, not unlike [executed] dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. He is not on the "front lines" where the governors are. Those governors know, like all sane rational people know, that there is simply no money to pay for this.

There is no money to pay for Social Security and Medicare, so I don't know what possessed people to think that there'll be money to pay for this.

Sorry, the Money Fair is not going to fly around tossing Ben Franklins at people.

In the Real World...

Mircea
I so much want to watch the interview with the 24 year old wild eyed Obama supporter when he gets nailed for $300/month health insurance bill he can not afford to pay on his Costco salary.

"But I thought it was going to be free!" he yelled.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,152 times
So true. This baby is a candy coated, ticking time bomb. Sweet on the outside - all of the goodys on the front end - all of the pain on the back end. Perfectly sequenced to sucker the unwordly, inexperienced, unwise and 'giveme' crowd.

No succor, only sucker!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I so much want to watch the interview with the 24 year old wild eyed Obama supporter when he gets nailed for $300/month health insurance bill he can not afford to pay on his Costco salary.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

It's really helping that opponents are calling this "Obamacare". It implies that Obama is in charge of health care and that it provides free or heavily subsidized care. Once that kid turns 27 and realizes that poor people sitting around doing nothing get health care and he sucka working a** doesn't, the outcome should be interesting.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
My, my. From the article: No to Medicaid Expansion

Democratic Governors

The three Democrats are Jay Nixon in Missouri, John Hickenlooper in Colorado and Earl Ray Tomblin in West Virginia.

Wouldn't these people qualify for huge subsidies for insurance anyway? So they don't get Medicaid, wouldn't they be able to get insurance for say $500/yr after a large subsidy?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Many states not yet underwater have taken it upon themselves to already cut their budgets. I know mine has and education as well as roads have taken a huge hit. This unfunded Medicaid expansion would force even larger cuts from necessary services. Frankly, Medicaid, just as food stamps, need to be for the poorest of the poor, and not a "stop gap" measure. People must start doing for themselves and their family members instead of expecting the state or federal governments to play the roll of Nanny or Uncle Sugar.

Whatever should a burger flipper do? DIY healthcare?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Good luck with that. They are likely too well liked to be primaried so basically an R would replace them.

The uninsured would have no problem with these folks losing to a Republican.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
My, my. From the article: No to Medicaid Expansion

Democratic Governors

The three Democrats are Jay Nixon in Missouri, John Hickenlooper in Colorado and Earl Ray Tomblin in West Virginia.
My, my, what a lie when we cherry-pick!

From the link:

Governors in at least 26 states -- 23 Republicans and three Democrats -- said they’re reviewing the decision or are waiting for the outcome of the November presidential election because Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican nominee, has called for repealing the health law.

The three Democrats are Jay Nixon in Missouri, John Hickenlooper in Colorado and Earl Ray Tomblin in West Virginia. Republican governors include Rick Perry of Texas and Scott Walker of Wisconsin.

I didn't think that sounded like anything I had heard out of the Colorado statehouse.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,959 times
Quote:
Good points.

Though, I really think McCaskill has been riding the sympathy vote - deceased husband died in plane crash in midst of his campaign for senate seat - these past few years. She has been maleable, towing the party line, which is the way the Dems like their women. Now, that she has a record, the sympathy is gone, as Missourians have seen the mess she has gone along with and supported. She played her Dem-woman role well. Now, it is time to replace her with a people's represenative.
Uh, hello??? You're thinking of Jean Carnahan, who served in the Senate after her husband's death, by appointment. Claire McCaskill has been elected on her own merit. Blows your whole little fantasy, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies