Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 10:53 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
You know, this blatant soliciting for funds thing kind of irks my butt.

There are millions of people who are arrested every year for all kinds of stuff - misdemeanors, felonies - maybe they're guilty, maybe they're not - and they are all responsible for their own legal defense. And those who are indigent get the services of a public defender.

In other words, you get the defense that you can afford.

But because this is such a high profile case, Zimmerman and his attorney can go out on national t.v. and pretty much beg for donations (and get them!).

And, besides, I was under the impression that when O'Mara took this case, he was unaware of the account with the money in it and was working pro bono (or had some agreement about payment). And now he's whining that is client is broke and is jeopardizing his own case by agreeing to interviews, with the sole purpose of soliciting donations.
This does not speak well for O'Mara. Also, I'm wondering if Zimmerman has set up a new web site for donations because he doesn't have access or control of the money in the original web site where updates on the case, etc., are now posted.

If people are blind or biased enough to want to send donations to Zimmerman, there's nothing illegal about that. They can do what they want with their money. However, I read that donations to Z's defense fund did not go up after the interview on Hannity, so maybe a lot of people have decided that donating to his defense is not a good idea after all. At least $100,000 went for bail AFTER he had his first bail revoked because of deceiving the Court.......perhaps that woke up a lot of people regarding how their "defense" donations would be wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,397,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Now if someone is punching someone about 12 times in the head why wouldn't that show up on his knuckles?

Now he was skipping? I have never seen a teen skipping down the road unless it was at Disney World on Main St.
This information is far too pertinent to the case at hand

Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Who is in charge of the defense, Zimmerman or O'Mara? That's exactly what I've been thinking, and it seems to me that Zimmerman is most likely a far-beyond-difficult client and is ignoring legal advice, doing what he wants or basically running the "show," therefore, destroying his own defense! IMO, it's not stupidity on Zimmerman's part but is rather his arrogance.
Do you remember when the 2 attorneys went on TV in April and said Zimmerman wasn't rational (something like that) and was out-of-state? At that time, I thought they were being very unprofessional by publicly announcing they were withdrawing from the case. I still do, but Zimmerman was "going rogue" against their advice, i.e., calling Corey's office, calling Sean Hannity, etc. Then Mark O'Mara took the case. I'm not sure this is completely about money. Look at how famous other attorneys became after they won high profile cases. There are very few people who don't know the name Johnnie Cochran. Jose Baez was an unknown trial attorney who now appears on TV and has written a book. Did Casey Anthony have any money? IIRC she didn't have web sites asking for donations, did she? However, Baez probably knew it was an opportunity for him. Maybe O'Mara doesn't feel the same way. Just my opinion.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
You know, this blatant soliciting for funds thing kind of irks my butt.
Then don't donate.

You still live in a free country where you can click off a site you don't like. See how easy it is?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-20-2012 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Then don't donate.

Politicians, including OBlammy, solicit for funds all day long, and in OBlammy's case, he's soliciting for 4 more years of free rent. 106 fundraisers in the last 6 months.......something like that.

That should irk your butt big time. He has a job to do and he isn't doing it.

You still live in a free country where you can click off a site you don't like. See how easy it is?
So based on the above post, the Zimmerman supporters do not have the logic and rationale to distinguish between political candidates fundraising and murderers trying to profit from their crime.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
He is a White hispanic.
He is bi-racial like our President. In other words 50% Caucasian.

Zimmerman is a Hispanic American just like Obama claims to be an African American. The only difference is Obama doesn't know a lick of the Kenyan language & Zimmerman grew up speaking Spanish as his first language.

Speaking of Obama, the jerk had no business butting his nose into this case after it happened.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Do you remember when the 2 attorneys went on TV in April and said Zimmerman wasn't rational (something like that) and was out-of-state? At that time, I thought they were being very unprofessional by publicly announcing they were withdrawing from the case. I still do, but Zimmerman was "going rogue" against their advice, i.e., calling Corey's office, calling Sean Hannity, etc. Then Mark O'Mara took the case. I'm not sure this is completely about money. Look at how famous other attorneys became after they won high profile cases. There are very few people who don't know the name Johnnie Cochran. Jose Baez was an unknown trial attorney who now appears on TV and has written a book. Did Casey Anthony have any money? IIRC she didn't have web sites asking for donations, did she? However, Baez probably knew it was an opportunity for him. Maybe O'Mara doesn't feel the same way. Just my opinion.
Letting Zimmerman go on national TV, and accompanying him, while Zimmerman is talking in terms of details ABOUT THE CASE, prior to trial will not enhance O'Mara's reputation at all. It certainly hurts O'Mara's reputation within the defense bar, and if zimmerman is conivicted, everyone will remember that interview and other crazy stuff he has done. I'm thinking that O'Mara simply cannot control Zimmerman because Zimmerman will not listen to his advice. What a nightmare for an attorney, to have a client like Zimmerman!

I suspect, just my opinion, that George Zimmerman has been, throughout his life, well insulated from police action because of his mother's 20 year career as a deputy court clerk in his area. Court Clerks and long-time employees (deputy clerks) have lots of connections within law enforcement because of their work. Obviously George's mother is smart enough to keep quiet; I haven't seen any statements by her in the press. That's knowledge which comes from years of working within the courts. His mother's possible ability to help him in re law enforcement when he was younger may have contributed to what seems to be George's belief that he can "talk" his way out of anything.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 07-20-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Speaking of Obama, the jerk had no business butting his nose into this case after it happened.
He answered a question that was put to him by someone from the press. What was he supposed to do? Ignore it and walk away?

If he had ignored the person asking the question, I guarantee there would have been thread after thread about him being a rude "jerk" for not answering the question.

Besides, this thread isn't about President Obama; it's about a dead kid and a lunatic with a gun.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
He answered a question that was put to him by someone from the press. What was he supposed to do? Ignore it and walk away?

If he had ignored the person asking the question, I guarantee there would have been thread after thread about him being a rude "jerk" for not answering the question.

Besides, this thread isn't about President Obama; it's about a dead kid and a lunatic with a gun.
Obama stuck his nose somewhere he shouldn't have just because it was a Black kid who got shot.

Happens all day every day in his hometown of Chicago.

What is he doing to curb Black on Black violence in the Windy City?

Is he giving any speaches or answering any questions to the Black youth on the South Side of Chicago?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
First sign, real thugs don't do Facebook.
Good point! They also don't go to Harvard Law and become college professors. Maybe "thug" has become the new code word for something else that is less politically correct.

I know I am being redundant but, no matter how hard I try, I cannot see a motive for a high school junior with no history of violence to attack a stranger unless he was defending himself. It just makes no sense. Add that to "tonight you die" and "shut the F up" and "you got me" and the entire story sounds implausible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies