Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What's it with libs? They have no problem with men acting like girls but have a problem with women acting like women.

GOP State Senator Will Teach Brooklyn Women To Act Like Ladies | ThinkProgress
[MOD CUT]

A class to teach women how to sit with the proper feminine presence sounds like something from a bygone era to me. I have seen them spoofed in many movies and TV shows, but I didn't think that they actually still existed.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: it was disrespectful, none the less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
First, who decided to make him supreme ruler on female deportment?
Second, aren't there much more important ways that taxpayer funds could be used?

I can sit, eat, stand, and walk up stairs "elegantly". I can gracefully navigate any cracked sidewalk in 5 inch stilettos.
I can also hit my target with a hand gun, rifle, shotgun, or bow. I can sheer a sheep, cook a 5 course gourmet meal, sew, waltz, grow a garden, remodel a kitchen, do electrical work, and plumbing.

THAT is what being a woman is for me, and I didn't need some politician to teach me any thing I know.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM

15,069 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Nothing I hate worse than a male chauvinist pig, except a woman who won't do as she's told.

Relax ... it's a joke.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Everybody needs to attend Charm School. We are become too self-absorbed, rude, and slovenly.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Everybody needs to attend Charm School. We are become too self-absorbed, rude, and slovenly.
That's kind of what freedom entails right? The freedom to do what you want, when you want it creates self-absorbed, rude and slovenly people.

You can't espouse freedom and at the same time demand people follow a rigid line.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Just a sign of the empire's collapse. Nothing to look at here folks.

Proper etiquette, dress, and manners are all about making other people feel comfortable with your presence. They were a reflection of self-respect and character. When once cares only about himself/herself such matters are of no concern. When they became of no concern to the majority is the moment our society lost its civility.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Proper etiquette, dress, and manners are all about making other people feel comfortable with your presence. They were a reflection of self-respect and character.
What, pray tell, does being able to "sit, stand and walk like a model" have to do with self respect and character? And apparently it's only women who need schooling in proper etiquette, because you'll note the good senator wasn't proposing a similar class for men.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What, pray tell, does being able to "sit, stand and walk like a model" have to do with self respect and character? And apparently it's only women who need schooling in proper etiquette, because you'll note the good senator wasn't proposing a similar class for men.
If you have to ask you simply don't and will never get it.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
I have no problem with anyone acting like they d*mn well please, I do have big problems with people being told how to act based on some sort of outdated gender model.

For me, telling women to "dress and walk like a model" as to come across more feminine, is the same as telling them to "keep their mouths shut and don a burqa" as to come across more feminine. I have no problem with either one as long as it's the women in question her own choice, but not when it's being taught as a way to act.
Agreed. That old man must be completely out of touch with reality to have thought it a good idea to have class. He deserves all the negative attention it garnered. Maybe he'll open his eyes now.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If you have to ask you simply don't and will never get it.
I get why there are no similar classes proposed for his male constituents, and I also get why the senator wants to teach women to walk like models. There's no real mystery there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies