Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,069,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is not hyperbole. People are being thrown off the voting rolls. There is a purge happening in some states. This is a fact.

I don't support the conservative point that too many of the wrong kinds of people are voting and that the government should enact new laws that gives the government more power to prevent people from voting.
In the United States of America one has to be registered to vote. You just cannot show up at a polling station and cast a ballot (like what you Democrats support because it keeps your folks in power).

1) Only citizens can vote. Illegal immigrants and convicted felons cannot vote.
2) People can only vote ONCE. ONE PERSON, ONE VOTE. Not 1 poor person = 10 votes with an offer of free cigarettes thrown in by ACORN.
3) People can only vote where they are registered to vote. That means people from New York City cannot vote once in New York City and then go out to their East Hampton summer home and vote again.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,270,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
In the United States of America one has to be registered to vote. You just cannot show up at a polling station and cast a ballot (like what you Democrats support because it keeps your folks in power).

1) Only citizens can vote. Illegal immigrants and convicted felons cannot vote.
2) People can only vote ONCE. ONE PERSON, ONE VOTE. Not 1 poor person = 10 votes with an offer of free cigarettes thrown in by ACORN.
3) People can only vote where they are registered to vote. That means people from New York City cannot vote once in New York City and then go out to their East Hampton summer home and vote again.
Acorn a group that no longer exists. Illegals a group that conservatives hate.

Now let's deal with reality. People were registering to vote. The conservatives created a new law to that registration that many voters lack. This will result in fewer people voting. The conservatives are also purging people off the voting rolls in certain states even though they had to register to get on the voting rolls in the first place.

So this is not about registering to vote. This about the government creating new laws that expand the government power to prevent people from voting. This is about conservative political ideology.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,878,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

"There is a very strong correlation, then, between a state voting for Republicans and receiving more in federal spending than its residents pay to the federal government in taxes (the rust belt and Texas being notable exceptions). In essence, those in blue states are subsidizing those in red states. Both red and blue states appear to be acting politically in opposition to their economic interests. Blue states are voting for candidates who are likely to continue the policies of red state subsidization while red states are voting for candidates who profess a desire to reduce federal spending (and presumably red state subsidization)."
Ezra Klein - The red state ripoff
Might be because Red States feed Blue States....The red states are agricultural.......Which means there are federal farm subsidies (which benefit the high population Blue states, most of which cannot provide the food for themselves). There are federal lands used as cattle rangeland, provided Rhode Islanders with lower cost beef, federally managed timberlands providing lower cost home building materials to New Yorkers, which stimulates the high population states' home building economies.

The federal money might go to Red State Montana for the beef or the mining, but the lower cost materials provide the industrial Blue state with lower costs on the final products, which ultimately benefits Blue state residents more than Red State residents.

Also, many of those lower cost materials can't get to the blue states without traveling on the federally maintained interstate highways. Alaska, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming all have low populations which pay far less in taxes because they have fewer people, but each of those states has hundreds more miles of Interstate to maintain than all the Blue New England States combined.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 AM

79,903 posts, read 43,915,797 times
Quote:
It is not hyperbole. People are being thrown off the voting rolls. There is a purge happening in some states. This is a fact.
No, it is not.

Quote:
I don't support the conservative point that too many of the wrong kinds of people are voting and that the government should enact new laws that gives the government more power to prevent people from voting.
I'm thinking my point went over your head.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM

79,903 posts, read 43,915,797 times
Quote:
Acorn a group that no longer exists. Illegals a group that conservatives hate.

Now let's deal with reality. People were registering to vote. The conservatives created a new law to that registration that many voters lack. This will result in fewer people voting. The conservatives are also purging people off the voting rolls in certain states even though they had to register to get on the voting rolls in the first place.

So this is not about registering to vote. This about the government creating new laws that expand the government power to prevent people from voting. This is about conservative political ideology.
Everyone that is registered has a voters registration card. You get it when you register.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,636,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post
I am so sick of Republicans bashing the poor like they are the ills of what is ailing America. I'm tired of Republicans trying to disenfranchise Minority Voters. Don't they know we will fight to the death to make sure our right to vote is protected? What is wrong with Republicans? Are they "ALL" Racist??
You forgot that Republicans want dirtier air and dirtier water, and want children with autism and the elderly to fend for themselves, and they want to see blacks hanging from trees, and they want to push old women in wheelchairs off cliffs.

It's the left that has the balls to say that only white people know where the DMV is to get a photo ID, and a person with brown skin is incapable of doing so.

According to the left, two people are neighbors, one white and the other brown skinned Both people are living in the same apartment building, and yet:

1) Only the white person is able to find the DMV and get a photo ID card.

2) Only the white person already has a driver's license

3) Only the white person cashes checks, flies on an airplane, goes to the court house, buys a car, opens a video store rental account, or has ever engaged in anything requiring a photo ID.

4) Only people like you think brown skinned people are helpless, ignorant, witless morons, who are too stupid to even spell DMV, much less find where it's located.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,986,249 times
i wonder why the OP hasn't been back to defend his/her claims?

obvious troll.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,817,443 times
these whites think every non white is a lazy sack, yet excuse the rampant disability and welfare by fellow whites. thats my problem with white republicans.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,695,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post
I am so sick of Republicans bashing the poor like they are the ills of what is ailing America. I'm tired of Republicans trying to disenfranchise Minority Voters. Don't they know we will fight to the death to make sure our right to vote is protected? What is wrong with Republicans? Are they "ALL" Racist??
Well of course none of what you write is true. I think I do sense a bit of projection.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,636,508 times
Quote:

Every state has to clean/purge their voter rolls. People die, or move out of state, or they get sent to prison with felony convictions, and they must be purged off the rolls. There are also times when people engage in voting fraud and falsely register at a bogus address, using bogus names, they too get purged.

Then again, we are talking about government workers who are doing the purges, and we all know how incompetent government can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.