Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They can't use the federal data. In order to access individuals in the data base, they have to have specific information and identification numbers. They can't access it by entering a person's name. Florida knows this, but the politicians in power know that people like yourself don't know it. So the politicians are milking the controversy. I know---what a surprise.
That will be settled in a court of law, Florida has sued for access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You made the assertion.
It's not my assertion Bob, its the assertion of your Governor and other state officials. If you have a reference that says this assertion is invalid I'll be glad to read it. You might want to try the typical liberal sites like Huffpo, certainly if the the Governors claim was invalid Huffpo and other lefty sites would have been all over it. He and other state officials have been cited numerous times in many publications making this claim.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That will be settled in a court of law, Florida has sued for access.
Florida politicians have filed a lawsuit to gain access to a database they can't use because they don't have the information to actually use it. They have filed the lawsuit for political reasons, and will probably drop the lawsuit after the election. It's like demanding access to the Social Security Administration database when you don't have any social security numbers. The Homeland Security Database is keyed off of specific ID numbers, which the state of Florida doesn't have. And Florida can sue, but really, as a conservative, you should be alarmed at what they are suing for, the right to fish in federal databases for incriminating information. Would you like your home state to sue for access to the IRS database so that they could fish for information???

Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
It's not my assertion Bob, its the assertion of your Governor and other state officials. If you have a reference that says this assertion is invalid I'll be glad to read it. You might want to try the typical liberal sites like Huffpo, certainly if the the Governors claim was invalid Huffpo and other lefty sites would have been all over it. He and other state officials have been cited numerous times in many publications making this claim.
If you read my link you'd understand that the assertion is invalid.

Because the majority of voters purged from Lee County weren't from the list the state sent out.

And again, how much is all this costing the state of Florida?

There are 11 million registered voters in Florida. They've purged 86. That's .0007%. Wow, they've really had an impact on elections, huh?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Regarding the FL lawsuit

Admissions made in email communications [PDF] between the FL Dept. of State's Assistant General Counsel, Maria Matthews and DHS officials confirm that the federal agency did not "block" Florida's access to SAVE. Rather, access has been impeded by the Sunshine State's own inability to furnish "unique identifiers", such as alien registration numbers or other numerical identifiers found on immigration-related documents.

Those e-mails are publicly available. I'll provide a link in a moment.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Florida politicians have filed a lawsuit to gain access to a database they can't use because they don't have the information to actually use it.
That will be determined in a court of law and hopefully soon.

Quote:
The Homeland Security Database is keyed off of specific ID numbers, which the state of Florida doesn't have.
I'm quite familiar with how a database works, while a unique ID is the most efficient and ideal way to query a database when you have multiple cross references for other fields it can be just as accurate.

Quote:
WHERE first_name = 'DC'
AND last_name = 'Ridge'
AND city = 'Washington'
AND street_address = '123 main st.'
AND country_origin = 'United States'
AND ........
AND......
This of course is the beauty of a database.......

Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
That will be determined in a court of law and hopefully soon.

I'm quite familiar with how a database works, while a unique ID is the ideal way to query a database when you have multiple cross references for other fields it can be just as accurate.

This of course is the beauty of a database.......
It doesn't need to be determined in a court of law. Florida officials have documented the FACT that the fault with accessing the database lies with FLORIDA and not with the federal government.

And here are some of the e-mails that document that Florida knows it doesn't have the unique identifiers to access the SAVE database.

http://bradblog.com/Docs/Florida_DOS...111-032612.pdf

Old 07-06-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
It doesn't need to be determined in a court of law.
Apparently Florida disagrees with their interpretation of of the law hence the lawsuit , I guess we'll have to wait for the court ruling won't we? I would suspect the ruling would be shortly due to the time constraints.

Having said that no matter what the ruling is the argument they need a unique ID is completely bogus as I've outlined above.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Apparently Florida disagrees with their interpretation of of the law hence the lawsuit , I guess we'll have to wait for the court ruling won't we? I would suspect the ruling would be shortly due to the time constraints.

Having said that no matter what the ruling is the argument they need a unique ID is completely bogus as I've outlined above.
The argument that they need a unique ID isn't bogus. Just because you say so. Databases aren't all alike. And the key fields to access a database are a matter of design. The Department of Homeland Security has designed the SAVE database so that to pull up information, you have to have the Alien Registration Number or the Naturalization Number. They have the right to make access dependent on those fields, because the information they are storing is confidential and personal, and the DHS has a legal responsibility to protect that information. The SAVE database doesn't contain the information on illegal aliens. Everyone on its database is legally in the United States, and therefore deserves the same privacy protections as legal citizens. They've broken no laws. They are legal residents. Florida, nor no other state, has the right to go fishing in this database.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:32 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Just yesterday they announced that 9.8% of voters in Pennsylvania do not have the proper I.D. so that is just every so slightly under 800,000 people who have voted in the past, who think they will be able to vote come election day, but when they show up they will be told they cannot vote. This is just wrong to me and the main reason for these new restrictions, the shorter amount of time voting booths will be kept open, and the reduction in absentee ballot availability... The purpose of all that is to prevent people from voting, to lower voter turn out, and just engage in classic voter suppression.

You can do your song and dance all you want but those basic facts won't change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies