Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:11 PM

170 posts, read 129,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Tax cuts didnt cut income..

not at all true. If you cut jobs in the public sector, you leave money in the public sector that would previously have had to be taken out to pay the salaries of the public sector employees, and when you leave money in the economy, it gets spent, thus creating jobs. What do you think people would do with that money if they werent giving it to government?

Its greater because you have greater governmental intervention. Why is that surprising to you while you ask for more of it? Thats just dumb.
Of course the tax cuts cut income of the federal government. Next you will tell me that if I took a paycut I will make MORE money?!

The public sector is part of the economy. If you do not create jobs in the public sector, people employed in the public sector will not be able to spend their money in the private sector. We are seeing this right now.

People would simply invest that money, they would not create jobs. Again, we're seeing little job growth, but astounding growth in corporate profits.

What's truly surprising is the analysis you gave concerning the economy. Cut taxes to increase government revenue and cut public sector jobs to spur job growth. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Not exactly a liberal, but I will probably vote for Obama.

The thing he's done that's closest to failure in my book has been to escalate the war in Afghanistan. But if McCain were president, we'd probably be have been in wars with half a dozen countries by this time.
You might want to rethink your political affiliation..

Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Yep, he could have done a lot better.

But look who is running against him!!!! Yikes!!!

So its the devil you know, as opposed to the devil you don't.

Welcome to the two party, no choice, system.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
Of course the tax cuts cut income of the federal government. Next you will tell me that if I took a paycut I will make MORE money?!

The public sector is part of the economy. If you do not create jobs in the public sector, people employed in the public sector will not be able to spend their money in the private sector. We are seeing this right now.

People would simply invest that money, they would not create jobs. Again, we're seeing little job growth, but astounding growth in corporate profits.

What's truly surprising is the analysis you gave concerning the economy. Cut taxes to increase government revenue and cut public sector jobs to spur job growth. Wow.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Just go out to the Congressional Budget Office web site and look at the revenues the government had after the Bush tax cuts, revenues went up. It is a fact and the numbers prove it. The problem, of course, was government spending which has been the root of all of our problems. That and the Democrats with their foolish ideas of stimulus spending but fools buy into that.

Please, go out to the CBO web site and educate yourself on the revenues of the federal gov after the tax cuts. You will feel so much more enlightened.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM

170 posts, read 129,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Just go out to the Congressional Budget Office web site and look at the revenues the government had after the Bush tax cuts, revenues went up. It is a fact and the numbers prove it. The problem, of course, was government spending which has been the root of all of our problems. That and the Democrats with their foolish ideas of stimulus spending but fools buy into that.

Please, go out to the CBO web site and educate yourself on the revenues of the federal gov after the tax cuts. You will feel so much more enlightened.
Is that why the CBPP analysis of the CBO projections state that the Bush era tax cuts have had a HUGE impact on worsening the deficit? Funny...

The fact of the matter is that the Bush tax cuts has not helped our deficit, nor continuing them will help. Period.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 PM

142 posts, read 164,629 times
Obama is ahead in every poll and Romney has an up hill battle all the way, he has to win most of the swing states and has only one path to victory. With his gaff machine running full tilt and not being able to connect with the common man he is not a guy many will vote for. Even the evangelicals are not loving the idea of a Mormon. As far as they are concerned he is in a cult. I will admit Obama failed when you admit Reagan did not bring down the iron curtain and that Bush was a disaster and faked evidence to get us into Iraq. Until then I will admit that Obama is doing his level best to clean up the last administrations train wreck and people like you just want to yell at him for trying.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I would absolutely vote Republican, if I were pro-god, pro-guns and anti-gay, but I'm not. Republican's today do not represent anything that I stand for. If ya'll move a bit closer to the center instead of way out in right field, I would definitely consider voting for a Republican, but until that happens...
Okay-

Read again what you just said. ".........if I was pro-god, pro-guns and anti gay, but I'm not"

The democratic party has BOUGHT YOUR SOUL and VOTE for the rest of your life through false information and is longer concerned about WHAT THE HELL YOU THINK!!!!!! Why should they care about the economy, your income, your future, your family, or ALL THE OTHER THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT IN LIFE? They don't- they rely upon fools who have been conditioned to BELIEVE FOOLISH PROPAGANDA, such that they do not have to do A DAMN THING to "win" your vote again. YOU ARE NOW IRRELEVENT, AS YOUR VOTE DOES NOT MATTER. YOU ARE A DEFACTO LIBERAL VOTER= the dems do not care about you or worry about what you think or want, as YOUR VOTE is secure with them. YOU ARE A POLITICAL NOTHING.

The LIBERALS have convinced YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.............. that your economic prosperity, freedom, ability to provide for your family are MEANINGLESS , as you are more concerned about gay marriage and some weird, elusive issue of gay marriage.

YOUR VOTE has been BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by meaningless and unsubstantiated claims by THE FAR LEFT MEDIA to convince you to SACRIFICE YOUR PERSONAL LIBERTIES AND THE SUCCESS OF YOUR FAMILY for some far left liberal political concoction that has no basis in fact.

If you really believe that you should sacrifice YOUR FUTURE and the of YOUR FAMILY for some leftist fear mongering, you are too inane (and I must say stupid- I would say this to my children for such a blind, careless, and baseless evaluation of a sitation without any rational evaluation of the situation) to understand what is GOOD FOR YOU and the NATION.

WAKE UP. My brother is gay. My primary care doc is gay. I love guns. Two of my sibs HATE GUNS, I was an atheist (I am a hard core scientist and was converted six years ago by my wife of 23 years. After decades of indecision and evaluation of the Bible and the physics literature, I am a true believer. One of my profs for physics was a Nobel Prize winner who stated many times to me that ADVANCED PHYSICS and MATHEMATICS SUPPORTED religion. He stated that only those with an "infantile" understanding of science derided religion). I now understand what he meant. Do not be fooled that you are "enlightened", "intelligent", or embrace "science" by being an atheist. You are a fool if you believe so. Read, study, anbd UNDERATAND more physics and math and you will move closer to GOD. I have over 20 papers published in the peer reviewed scientific literature, two advanced degrees, and have been on staff at two Universities. I have an IQ of 156. I believe in God. My mentor, who was a true genius, and a NOBEL PRIZE WINNER, believed in GOD.

Why do YOU think that you are more intelligent than a Nobel Prize winner with a PhD in physics, and hundreds of papers in the scientific literature? The arrogance of liberals is amazing, and shocking. There is no PhD certificate conferred to democratic voters by pulling the "D" lever, although this myth has been told to them.

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I assume you are basing this assertion on the "fuzzy" arithmetic used to hide certain spending. But that's a moot point to me since every Congress and administration does that. So that doesn't change that the budget was effectively balanced at the end of the 90s.
Not they werent, they borrowed from intragovernmental departments to hide the deficits. The debt climbed every single year, and if you dont believe me, you can go to the US Treasury Office website and they will confirm.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Its not at all like that.. For example..

I own an internet company, say I make $10 on every item I sell. If I drop the price of each item by $2, my profit drops to $8, but if this means I sell twice as much, then I am making more money..
Quote:

How does one invest money, and not create jobs? I've never once been able to do that.. Maybe you can explain it to me..

Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Let us assume that Obama is re-elected (highly unlikely) and we are in 2016, poised to elect a new president again.

Would you admit that Obama failed if

1. The national debt continues to rise and reaches $22 trillion, a debt which would probably assure the financial ruin of the nation?

2. continued annual deficits of $ 1.3 trillion?

3. unemployment rates above 8% or higher?

4. continued decline in personal incomes?

5. continued decline in personal wealth?

6. much higher taxes FOR YOU, not just the rich?

7. Being unemployed as a result of Obama's policies?

8. Paying much higher electricity and energy costs due to Obama's policies?

9. A middle east war due to Obama's failure to contain Iran?

10. None of the above- I love Obama regardless of what he does for (or to) the nation
Some of your points are not due to Obama but whatever.
I haven't always agreed with Obama but I will vote him again for a number of reasons.

Republicans love going to war whereas democrats try the diplomatic approach first. They are way too trigger happy. And weren't we already in a middle east war with Bush
And you talk about higher taxes and unemployment...etc. If republicans would stick to that then maybe, just maybe they could get my vote. But no, they have to go after social issues which means they want government in our lives on their terms while proclaiming they want less government....go figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies