Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
{snip}
PS - the above list isn't intended to be comprehensive but just a select few examples of how black folks try to act like white folks and really shouldn't.

I don't see this as a racial issue, even though i think i know where you are coming from. This is a wise frame of mind for any time in a person's life, when they find themselves in a situation, where the people in charge don't expect much from you. Don't satisfy yourself with living up to their low expectations of you, and don't be satisfied with trying to be like them, rise above them instead. Of course, be sure as hell that you don't live below even their contemptible expectations of you either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
That is mainly a race-class issue, way more common among lower class blacks compared to middle class blacks. But as time is going on it is becoming less of a stigma in the white community as well. Slowly but surely the lower class white community will be just like lower blacks the way I see it. A lot of the things black men and women complain about each other is due to the fact that black men and black women are the most forgiven when it comes to acceptance of what many to perceive to be negative behavior.

I agree to some extent. But still - it's more accepted generally speaking in the black communities I've been exposed to.

Sad, really. We should all have higher standards and expectations for our young men and women - and their children.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Racial minorities and other types of minorities generally don't, and don't have to, spend all their time thinking about their minority status. They're constantly reminded of it by the majority.
This sub-forum is proof of that. I remember going to an almost all-white private school and many of my white classmates were perplexed that I did not act the way they perceived most black people to be. I have even gone to trade shows and job fairs and had white recruiters/others salesman talk to me in what is perceived to be negro lingo, despite the fact I had on a suit.

Last week a friend and I were eating at an outdoor restaurant in an upscale neighborhood and many whites where starring at us like we were animals outside of our habitat. My friend said to me "White people are amused and intrigued by blacks". I said to him "They would be even more intrigued to find out you are an engineer and I fix computers for a living."

Old 07-08-2012, 10:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Acting White means watching tv and driving a car, right? So most Black people do act White. Or is it the other way around. assuming that there is a way to act based on skin color is tone of the most racist things I have read on this forum. Congrats.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
You have to be from a certain generation to remember how old the folk would reprimand us with “You ain’t White” or my favorite, “who is you?”
If you ask your father to borrow his car or buy you a car…..who is you?
If you ask for an allowance ….”You ain’t white you better get yourself a job”
They taught us that some white folks always had a safety net that wasn’t there for other people. Black people had to save money because banks were not going to loan you any.

Many of these values go back to the Victorian era and are still handed down today in many black families particularly middle and upper class. African Americans who worked as domestics, porters, and drivers in wealthy white families came home with stories about how decadent rich folks were. If their daughters got pregnant they would send her off to boarding school or send her off to get an abortion. I knew of an old historic African American hospital in the Midwest that could only make ends meet in the early seventies by giving abortions to wealthy eastern women who would make the two or three day drive alone. If the boy got in trouble they could go have dinner with a judge or constable.

I know people will say that they never see black people with these qualities and most black people they see or know embodies all the negatives and stereotypes. This so called mythological conservative, color blind white American who is patriotic, and is a model of Christian values can be just as elusive.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post
White liberals are really bad for this kind of thing. Years of pandering to the lowest common denominator have convinced them that their Narrative is reality.
You are wasting your time politicizing this.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Ovcatto, the people who get your post already got it before reading it and the people who don't get your post will probably never get it.
That is becoming fairly obvious.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL....I've been saying this stuff for YEARS 'Catto. Many years. Stop doing stuff that white folks ROUTINELY either get completely exonerated from, or receive slaps on the wrist for doing. Your black ass ain't white, and you're not gonna get off easily.

Look at how they've made George Zimmerman into a choir boy with his criminal background. Beat up his girlfriend, assaulted a police officer. If he was black and the Martin kid was white with everything else being the same, white folks would have the opposite take. Whiteness earns you magnanimity....period, point blank. And black folks had better wake the hell up and realize it.

Black folks have their heads up their rears, and fail to see the bigger picture.
He wasn't convicted of any of those things, poor analogy. Why are you so concerned about white folks think anyway? Are they holding back the brains of African Americans people? Why can't African Americans perform at the same level of Whites academically? Why do African Americans make up the largest group of those incarcerated? Why do African Americans commit disproportionately more violent crime than others?

Is this because African Americans aren't given the benefit of the doubt?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
This sub-forum is proof of that. I remember going to an almost all-white private school and many of my white classmates were perplexed that I did not act the way they perceived most black people to be. I have even gone to trade shows and job fairs and had white recruiters/others salesman talk to me in what is perceived to be negro lingo, despite the fact I had on a suit.

Last week a friend and I were eating at an outdoor restaurant in an upscale neighborhood and many whites where starring at us like we were animals outside of our habitat. My friend said to me "White people are amused and intrigued by blacks". I said to him "They would be even more intrigued to find out you are an engineer and I fix computers for a living."

My gosh, where on earth do you LIVE? That scenario would be unbelievable around here in East Texas.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Ovcatto, the people who get your post already got it before reading it and the people who don't get your post will probably never get it.
Oh we get it that's why we are calling BS on it. Heck I'll acknowledge some aspects of his post are accurate (very few). Still at the end of the day it's part of his victimhood spiel. Africans in America disprove his thesis everyday.

The message I received is that I am just as good and even better than most people (white, black or whatever) and that whatever limitations I face are just temporary roadblocks that hard work can overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies