Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

I going to break a long standing rule of not criticizing black folks on non-African American forums. So, here goes. The problem with black folks isn't not acting white, the problems paradoxically is too many black folk actually act like they actually are white folk. I say this because back in the day, I was taught that I couldn't act like white folks, I had to act and do better. Somewhere in the headiness of what seemed like the victories of the Civil Rights Movement that lesson got lost.

Dear brothers and sisters,

You can't be an unwed mother because you are not a white Holywood celebrity who makes millions of dollars per picture so that you can't afford nannies, house keepers, private schools and tutors for your kids. By the way, you also won't make the cover of Vogue, Vanity Fair or Cosmopolitan lauding how you can "have it all".

You can't owe your Baby Momma hundreds of thousands of dollars in back child support and be a Congressman, although we have made some significant inroads as corrupt politicians it still is a limited field of endeavor, the former is reserved for white folk.

You can't be like the Jewish, Italian and Irish mobsters, because you don't know how to keep a low profile and most importantly you don't own any planes or boats which means that you can't rise above the retail level even though Nickie Barnes, Frankie Lewis and Suge Knight came close.

You don't have as yet an Arnold Rothstein to teach you how to convert cash from criminal enterprises into legitimate commercial enterprises.

You can't go around committing even small crimes because as Virgil Tibbs (see Sydney Poitier) famously pointed out in "The Heat of the Night", "Momma there is white folk time and then there is colored folk time."

As a result you can't go around killing white people and expect not to get the death penalty, a life sentence is for the most part reserved for white folks who kill white folks (or black folks).
Also remember the wise words of my father, "If you commit a crime, make sure that you steal enough that you make more inside prison than you would outside of it." Then remember that you aren't Bernie Madoff and your friends don't have billions of dollars to steal from.
You can't drop out of school because your daddy doesn't own a corporation, or have old school ties that will get you into the door of some business (drug dealing excepted, see above). And even if you do graduate, you still don't have daddy to help you up the corporate ladder.

You can't owe the bank for your Chrysler 300 because of as the saying goes, you owe the bank $10,000 the bank owns you, but if you owe the bank $10,000,000,000 dollars you own the bank. Very few of you own $10,000,000,000.

You can't get mediocre grades, because white folks don't consider you a gentleman, so a gentleman's C just doesn't apply.

And No (this will be most pleasing to my conservative audience) you can't dress as you like because while white kids can dress any way they like, white folks consider the unorthodox fashions of white youth as part of a phase not a genetic imperfection. Yes I know white construction workers like Joe the Plumber have been showing the crack of their behinds for generations, but they are white, you are not.

You can't get angry, even when it is warranted because it is always taken as a sign of violent tendencies. Outward expressions of anger by white folks is just indignation, even blowing up a federal building is considered a righteous act of freedom (Muslims are you listening?)

Now I know that these separate but unequal rules should no longer apply after the hard won battles of the Civil Rights era and the hundreds of years of disparate treatment, but as the experiences of Barack Obama should amply demonstrate, keeping your nose to the grind stone, graduating with an Ivy League law degree and even becoming President of the United Fracking States doesn't exempt you from the American System of Double Standards©.

So my young brothers and sisters, you are right to castigate black folk who act white, just keep in mind what it really means to act white.

PS - the above list isn't intended to be comprehensive but just a select few examples of how black folks try to act like white folks and really shouldn't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
This was a good effort. But.... most of the egregious stuff is actually, "rich people privilege" vs. "the rest" rather than "acting white" vs. "acting black."

Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I going to break a long standing rule of not criticizing black folks on non-African American forums. So, here goes. The problem with black folks isn't not acting white, the problems paradoxically is too many black folk actually act like they actually are white folk. I say this because back in the day, I was taught that I couldn't act like white folks, I had to act and do better. Somewhere in the headiness of what seemed like the victories of the Civil Rights Movement that lesson got lost.

You can't be an unwed mother because you are not a white Holywood celebrity who makes millions of dollars per picture so that you can't afford nannies, house keepers, private schools and tutors for your kids. By the way, you also won't make the cover of Vogue, Vanity Fair or Cosmopolitan lauding how you can "have it all".

You can't owe your Baby Momma hundreds of thousands of dollars in back child support and be a Congressman, although we have made some significant inroads as corrupt politicians it still is a limited field of endeavor, the former is reserved for white folk.

You can't be like the Jewish, Italian and Irish mobsters, because you don't know how to keep a low profile and most importantly you don't own any planes or boats which means that you can't rise above the retail level even though Nickie Barnes, Frankie Lewis and Suge Knight came close.

You don't have as yet an Arnold Rothstein to teach you how to convert cash from criminal enterprises into legitimate commercial enterprises.

You can't go around committing even small crimes because as Virgil Tibbs (see Sydney Poitier) famously pointed out in "The Heat of the Night", "Momma there is white folk time and then there is colored folk time."

As a result you can't go around killing white people and expect not to get the death penalty, a life sentence is for the most part reserved for white folks who kill white folks (or black folks).
Also remember the wise words of my father, "If you commit a crime, make sure that you steal enough that you make more inside prison than you would outside of it." Then remember that you aren't Bernie Madoff and your friends don't have billions of dollars to steal from.
You can't drop out of school because your daddy doesn't own a corporation, or have old school ties that will get you into the door of some business (drug dealing excepted, see above). And even if you do graduate, you still don't have daddy to help you up the corporate ladder.

You can't owe the bank for your Chrysler 300 because of as the saying goes, you owe the bank $10,000 the bank owns you, but if you owe the bank $10,000,000,000 dollars you own the bank. Very few of you own $10,000,000,000.

You can't get mediocre grades, because white folks don't consider you a gentleman, so a gentleman's C just doesn't apply.

And No (this will be most pleasing to my conservative audience) you can't dress as you like because while white kids can dress any way they like, white folks consider the unorthodox fashions of white youth as part of a phase not a genetic imperfection. Yes I know white construction workers like Joe the Plumber have been showing the crack of their behinds for generations, but they are white, you are not.

You can't get angry, even when it is warranted because it is always taken as a sign of violent tendencies. Outward expressions of anger by white folks is just indignation, even blowing up a federal building is considered a righteous act of freedom (Muslims are you listening?)

Now I know that these separate but unequal rules should no longer apply after the hard won battles of the Civil Rights era and the hundreds of years of disparate treatment, but as the experiences of Barack Obama should amply demonstrate, keeping your nose to the grind stone, graduating with an Ivy League law degree and even becoming President of the United Fracking States doesn't exempt you from the American System of Double Standards©.

So my young brothers and sisters, you are right to castigate black folk who act white, just keep in mind what it really means to act white.

PS - the above list isn't intended to be comprehensive but just a select few examples of how black folks try to act like white folks and really shouldn't.

Heeeyy! I am White and I didn't get any of that crap.

That's not fair. When do I get all that? Man, that's
just the brother keepin' me down.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more... From a very very young age most black folk were taught the reasons why you can't act certain ways. The sad thing is to this day the reasons are still relevant...

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 07-07-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
How exactly does a person 'act white'?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
If all that is "acting white," then this white girl sure did get off track somewhere along the way...

Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Yawn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How exactly does a person 'act white'?
Apparently by blowing up federal buildings and converting cash from criminal enterprises into legitimate commercial enterprises

I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:

Great post but the real message will be lost on all but a few.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Great post but the real message will be lost on all but a few.
Thankfully I don't view life through the prism of race, titles, and victimhood as most libs do. I see people, not color.

Sadly that message will be lost on all but a few.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
Quote:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but it is more complex than that. It is not just race, but class and who you know play big parts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies