U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:37 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,455,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackooboy View Post
Lancaster County has been majority Republican since the Civil War. They also elected the Radical Republican Thadeus Stevens during and after the Civil War who proposed land grants and monetary awards to former slaves. With that said, that is the County's roots.

The County is very rooted in protestant and anabaptist roots. That is people are expected to work hard and people are seen as earning their worth rather than just being awarded it for existing.

The population is also rather homogenious racially, culturally, and economically, with a growing minority of Puerto Ricans in the city. However, without this overbearing inequality, which is present in most larger cities, I beleive it is explainable as to why the county has remain the way it has in its work ethic and acceptance of newcomers.

To Lancaster's credit, their churches are very active in many cases with peace and justice campaign and arguements supporting a more equitable standard of living (Mennonite Central Committee).

The Christian character of the county would certainly be percievable if coming from a place like Philadelphia, however, I don't think it is that much different from surrounding cities such as York or Harrisburg.
Anyhow, the kneejerk reaction made me want to throw up a little.
Good post, Jack! The people here seem to forget that Christian Fundamentalism is NOT the guy who shoots at abortion doctors or flies planes into buildings but is, in its true sense, the very Amish (among others) who went to the funeral of their children's killers.

It's not for everyone, but yeah...the kneejerk reactions here are very telling, as well as just plain ignorant. I have a Plymouth Brethren background and although they seem like pretty sober folks, I don't know ONE who would turn away a person in need. I love Lancaster and may very well retire there in 10-15 years. And I hope it remains just the way it is; there's a niche for everyone in this country. ANd there's enough hypocracy to go around. Get this: I live in the town next to the very lush and gorgeous Swarthmore and Rose Valley: two of the wealthiest places on the East coast and hugely Liberal: Dad often drives the very correct Prius (if you can shake him from his Volvo wagon); Mom lugs around the clunky SUV, and they live in their enormous, three-story Tudors or stone colonials heated with lots of oil. Neat, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 05:35 PM

40 posts, read 204,701 times
Default I know what you mean.

I concur. I know a few people from the Swathmore, Bryn Mawr, Mainline area. I know exactly what you mean; they are in their exclusive society and neighborhoods away from the real world and find it so easy to criticize others and the system that they obviously are benefiting so much from. Hypocracy certainly is a universal theme, but it seems to be more apparent in these incredibly wealthy yet "guilty" communities.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,540,254 times
That's because they know what's best for you!!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:03 PM

29,644 posts, read 65,820,003 times
Exclamation "Knowing-It-All" is a Two-Way Street, Mister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
That's because they know what's best for you!!
In other words, Conservatives aren't trying to say that they likewise "know what's best for you" when it comes to pushing anti-gay rhetoric down our throats? I'm sorry, but I've dealt with far too many Conservative wack-jobs here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre who love going out of their way to tell me how hellbound and disgraceful I am as a human being for being the way I am, and if THAT also isn't "knowing what's best for me", then I don't know what is!

Well, I didn't want to lead this thread into a debate, but I felt inclined to defend Liberals here; admittedly many of us left-wing nut jobs get a bit too off-kilter on "feel-good" tangents, but we're apparently not the only ones with "control" issues, as just evidenced by my own personal experiences with "the other side!" If Conservative Republicans are so "open-minded" and "relaxed", then why have they yet to come up with a decent reply as to why me joining my partner in a civil union is going to destroy society? It's already been happening in Massachusetts (and soon in NJ); do you see people in Boston dodging raining frogs or watching in horror as lesbian newlyweds knock down their doors to molest their children? Until someone can prove to me how straight married people in Massachusetts have been negatively-impacted by "my kind" tying the knot, then I won't have much respect at all for the Conservative types who take pleasure in treating us as some sort of inferior race.

I'm just tiring of having to hear Conservatives tell us all about how Liberals are "going to hell in a handbasket" while they act as if they can do no wrong. Am I a sinner for being a homosexual? Who knows? If I am committing a cardinal sin for loving who I do, then let God deal with me harshly on Judgment Day, when I'll be awaiting my fate. Until then, you Conservatives need to keep your Bibles OUT of the legislative process! You can't keep going around trying to "protect people from themselves!" If that was such a pressing issue, then why not try to ban alcohol because drunk-driving kills innocent people? Why not try to ban smoking because smoking kills innocent nonsmokers from second-hand smoke? Why not try to ban Burger Kings because too many Whoppers clog arteries? If you're going to target ONE "vice" (in this case gays/lesbians) for how they somehow harm society, then why not be fair and target ALL of them? Who put some of you people in charge of being the morality police, anyways? Mark Foley?

I'm more than willing to come to a friendly consensus with Conservatives when they're willing to LOGICALLY explain to me what valid reason (beyond the Bible or being prejudiced) they have to treat us in the GLBT community as inferiors. Until that time, I think you're going to continue to see our nation becoming even more polarized between Liberals and Conservatives! With a violent war raging in Iraq and an economy that's still struggling, you mean to tell me that the BIGGEST story in our nation's media is Conservative bickering over NJ approving same-sex marriage? Since when did homophobia take precedence over our brave brothers and sisters laying down their lives for their country?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 PM

29,644 posts, read 65,820,003 times
Smile Cooling Off

Wow! What a wonderful catharsis! Being seemingly the only Liberal on a rare right-wing college campus has forced me to hold in all of my depression, angst, rage, and political disagreements for so long that it all finally comes bursting out of me from time to time at inopportune times! Looking back at the last reply before my own (to which I replied), I realized that the poster probably was only attacking Liberals in a very joking, tongue-in-cheek manner, but that was just the "trigger" that set me off after a day filled with being given grief by homophobes! You never quite know just what may set off your raging hormones (especially me as a teenager), and apparently that little sentence was it! I apologize if I seemed at all crash or rude in my reply, but that's truly what my heart has been feeling for so long without having a safe venue to be released! PHEW! Now I'm out of breath! That felt awesome to vent!

P.S. I have Conservative friends too, all of whom agree with me that it's NOT the responsibility or "right" of Republicans to play God and decide who can or can not be joined in a union. If God hates gays, then let him smite us with his fist of anger when I go to meet him someday (whether it be at age 80 of old age or tomorrow in a pile-up on the freeway). I try to do my best to live a clean life, and I'd truly be willing to endure an eternity of brimstone if it meant that I could be with the one whom I truly loved and adored!) I'm still waiting for those non-homophobic, non-religious reasons to oppose same-sex unions... LOL! Just kidding! I don't want to have this thread turn into a scene from Hardball!

Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,200,173 times
It's astounding to me that gay/straight is even an issue in this day and age.

I'm also tired of hearing conservative christians act as if they are some kind of abused minority. Heck, they run everything!

The main thing that irks me is this delusion that republicans are somehow "small government"-- this is the biggest lie of all.

Does a "small government" run us 8.5 TRILLION dollars into debt? Do they involve themselves in the public school system? Do they conduct surveillance on their own citizenry? Do they invade other countries for no reason whatsoever other than oil profits, killing civilians as well as getting our precious military killed and stretched so thin we can't do anything in any other part of the world? Does "small government" tell you who you can marry? Reward you for being christian (and thus punish you for not being christian)?

Anyway, Sorry to rant. SWB-- you are a bright, funny, interesting human being. To hell with everyone else and their labels. Be yourself and you'll never go wrong.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:18 AM

70 posts, read 60,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
It's astounding to me that gay/straight is even an issue in this day and age.

I'm also tired of hearing conservative christians act as if they are some kind of abused minority. Heck, they run everything!

The main thing that irks me is this delusion that republicans are somehow "small government"-- this is the biggest lie of all.

Does a "small government" run us 8.5 TRILLION dollars into debt? Do they involve themselves in the public school system? Do they conduct surveillance on their own citizenry? Do they invade other countries for no reason whatsoever other than oil profits, killing civilians as well as getting our precious military killed and stretched so thin we can't do anything in any other part of the world? Does "small government" tell you who you can marry? Reward you for being christian (and thus punish you for not being christian)?

Anyway, Sorry to rant. SWB-- you are a bright, funny, interesting human being. To hell with everyone else and their labels. Be yourself and you'll never go wrong.

First of all I'm a Christian (that means I think I'm better than you)
Seeing as how I do believe in an invisible man living in the sky, believing in George Bush aint much of a stretch. George is a great man, and has our best interests at heart. Why he SAVED US ALL by not allowing gay marriage. Do you have any idea how many men are just waiting to hook up with their best friend? ...and Iraq. Why should we pay our good hard earned money to them "A"rabs when we can just kill'em and pay Halliburton instead? Halliburton is an AMERICAN company, with AMERICAN values, and AMERICAN political influence. It was the AMERICAN thing to do. Whats the matter, you're not a patriot?
It doesnt matter that justifying the attack on Iraq through the guise of fighting terrorism is a lot like punching out the guy watching the fight after you lose, its the AMERICAN thing to do. Don't you know that George Bush left NO CHILD BEHIND? Nope, he left the whole middle class family behind. The child was always supervised and had plenty of company.

The point is, don't pick on poor Mr. Bush. It takes a lot to assume the position of president when you don't have any leadership or business experience. Sometimes people, in some cases our own fathers and brothers, push us all into things we're not quite ready for. He's been coming along quite well. After all, he only destroyed ONE country. Afghanistan doesn't count, it was ALREADY destroyed when we got there. Also, don't forget to lose sight of what is REALLY important. Not once did Mr. Bush cheat on his wife, or fool around with any young ladies working at the white house. Bill Clinton was the FIRST MAN IN HISTORY to cheat on his wife, have sex with a fat chick, and then lie about it. The nerve. He's evil I tell ya, evil.

Well I gots ta go now. My sister's waitin in bed for me. Have a nice nite ya'll!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 AM

41 posts, read 219,993 times
Time2mov - rotflmao! Heeeheheeeheeheeheeheeeee!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:22 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,455,239 times
Default Feel Better Now?

So glad you got all that out of your system. Poison is a bad thing. And now we all have our personal agendas out on the table, me included.

So should I follow up with: "Some of my best friends are Gay"? It happens to be true-friendships of 30 years, actually; hate to burst your bubble. "I support the war"? I don't. It sucks. It's horrendous. I also happen to believe that the WMDs did exist and were spirited off to Syria, as described by one of SH's former main men. I still would not have gone after them without a full-proof plan, if that's even possible. Bad planning and poor assumptions (that a traditional "army" stands a chance against Islam gone wild - don't think so). What we need is an American Mossad.

That the President tried to tackle three of the Black Holes of politics: education, social security and Medicare? How DARE he!!! Who does he think he is: the PRESIDENT? That teachers have to spend a few more years testing, testing and testing again to finally see where we are? It's a big job and a massive plan. Guess it would have been better to continue to decliine in our test scores and preparedness for the workplace. Interestingly the only thing that has hurt my personal economy as a solid member of the middle class has been school taxes which, in the Wallingford-Swarthmore SD, goes 60% for teacher and administrator salaries and bloated benefits packages. Hmmm...And I guess I had better tell my elderly parents that the big break they have FINALLY recieved for their escalating drug costs was a crappy idea afterall - Much better to pay more, sell the house or die.

Former President Clinton? Brilliant man, no doubt. Charismatic, entertaining, engaging and as crooked as his third nostril. My God, his White House was rife with dubious dealings at every turn. But that's water under the bridge. His upturned economy was due, in large part, to the market taking off like a rocket because of confidence in tech stocks - remember the hysteria over paper-only earnings? Yeah...one can archive any Wall Street or Barron's to see that the economy started to tank while the golden boy was still in office. But hey, he DID target welfare reform. Good thing. Had a Republican president tried that, ol' Al Sharpton and Jesse would have been on on the warpath faster than Jesse Owens. And his Family Act was brilliant as well as important. The Monica thing? Just one of the women he had a weakness for, I suppose. That's the way he is. Of course his track record was perfectly ok with N.O.W., even regarding the women who didn't return his affections: stupid bimbos and therefore irrelevant. Life's little ironies. Ya gotta love 'em.

Guess we'll just have to see what the Democrats have in mind when they're running the country. Better have a plan this time. They were fools to run Kerry and dump what's his name just because he got a little happy on the platform

Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 AM

13 posts, read 43,255 times
Don't know your preference (personally, I'm "Green"), but if you're looking for Democrat digs, I suggest the northeast, specifically Luzerne County - we always go Democrat. And we have morals too!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies