Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times

Advertisements

[quote=Time2Moov;142130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post

Your parents. If ANYONE is getting ANY form of assistance be it tax breaks, checks, foodstamps, free bus rides, etc., THAT IS PUBLIC ASSISTANCE. I don't give a flying (insert F word here) what they went through, or how you were raised. They may not have applied for it, but they're getting it. I'm sure a 20 year old single mother would LOVE to get government assistance without having to endure the embarrassment of applying for it, beyond the lousy child tax credit that is. As for me, I feel a lot better about helping a 20yr old single mom than helping your parents because they failed to save for retirement, if that is/were the case.

What an utter fool. Your comparison and assumptions demonstrate your lack of economic history, the current plight of senior citizens and your obvious contempt for the wonderful generation which preceeded us.

(back to researching Australia)
Most excellent, Mate. I hear they have some really nice stingrays there you can play with. ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 09:33 PM

70 posts, read 85,050 times
[quote=soulsurv;142152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Moov View Post

Most excellent, Mate. I hear they have some really nice stingrays there you can play with. ENJOY!
The reason I HAVE so much contempt for them is THEY are usually the ones that are so adamantly against welfare! It has always baffled me how seniors think someone OWES them something simply because went through some tough times. EVERYBODY goes through tough times when they're young. Try being young in today's world. I've seen this country crumble in my short lifetime, sometimes I get nervous when I look at my kids wondering what THEY are going to have to endure. Your parents didnt need to spend over $100k on higher education just to have a fighting chance in the world. They didnt have to spend 6 times their salary to get a decent home. They didn't have to worry about a zillion different things that today's kids are going to have to deal with. The great depression, lol. REALLY. The great depression was created by their own GREED! The stock market didn't just up and crash one day all on its own. Yet whenever you hear these pseudo historians talk about it thats would they would have you believe.

This state in particular is off its rocker with senior assistance. The first time I was standing on line in a convenience store and noticed a lottery sign my mouth dropped. "Benefitting older Pennsylvanians". This is the only state I know of that doesn't put their lottery cash toward education. So instead of teaching the kids the fish, we'll just feed all the fish we have to their grandparents. The logic of PA government completely escapes me.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
This debate saddens me--

see how, because of governmental policy, we are now pitted against each other wondering which group is more contemptible-- the elderly who are being robbed by huge pharmaceutical companies and HMOs and whose pensions and retirements aren't enough to keep them in their homes with prices and property taxes spiralling out of control, OR, the young people of the country (the ones who will be lucky to ever see a retirement or pension or Social Security) who might need a leg up in a nation where there is no mandatory living wage and they have been completely priced out of homes and commercial properties, effectively eradicating the American Dream for them.

We need to have admiration and concern for BOTH these groups, not have pointless infighting.

The group we SHOULD be aiming our spleen at is the government-- particularly the current admin, who are worse about shady deals than any other in history, but I'll note that there are plenty of Democratic Congresspeople who aren't averse to taking some kickback in the form of PAC and lobyyist $$$, particularly from the pharmaceuticals industry.

The government which bends over backwards to allow huge multinational corporate conglomerates to dictate public policy and openly fleece and rip off their employees, shareholders and the public so that they are allowed to reap unconscionable record profits at our expense while they ship jobs overseas, set up offshore tax shelters, keep wages and benefits from rising and enjoy huge tax breaks (again, at the expense of the average citizen and their descendents.)

Last edited by Griffis; 10-28-2006 at 12:15 AM..

Old 10-28-2006, 02:03 AM

[quote=Time2Moov;142170]
Quote:

The reason I HAVE so much contempt for them is THEY are usually the ones that are so adamantly against welfare! It has always baffled me how seniors think someone OWES them something simply because went through some tough times. EVERYBODY goes through tough times when they're young. Try being young in today's world. I've seen this country crumble in my short lifetime, sometimes I get nervous when I look at my kids wondering what THEY are going to have to endure. Your parents didnt need to spend over $100k on higher education just to have a fighting chance in the world. They didnt have to spend 6 times their salary to get a decent home. They didn't have to worry about a zillion different things that today's kids are going to have to deal with. The great depression, lol. REALLY. The great depression was created by their own GREED! The stock market didn't just up and crash one day all on its own. Yet whenever you hear these pseudo historians talk about it thats would they would have you believe.

This state in particular is off its rocker with senior assistance. The first time I was standing on line in a convenience store and noticed a lottery sign my mouth dropped. "Benefitting older Pennsylvanians". This is the only state I know of that doesn't put their lottery cash toward education. So instead of teaching the kids the fish, we'll just feed all the fish we have to their grandparents. The logic of PA government completely escapes me.
Their own greed - what a *******!! Your hatred toward the elderly is nothing short of disgusting, no matter HOW you try to justify it with your twisted logic. Newsflash: your miserable state of mind and the monumental chip on your shoulder, as evinced by the mocking, scornful tone of most of your posts, is going to be your kids' greatest handicap. You're correct: the poor silly things don't stand a chance - miserable in PA; miserable in the US; I hear Atlantis may rise again in case the Aussie thing doesn't work out, Bruce.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 AM

[quote=soulsurv;142319]
Quote:

Their own greed - what a *******!! Your hatred toward the elderly is nothing short of disgusting, no matter HOW you try to justify it with your twisted logic. Newsflash: your miserable state of mind and the monumental chip on your shoulder, as evinced by the mocking, scornful tone of most of your posts, is going to be your kids' greatest handicap. You're correct: the poor silly things don't stand a chance - miserable in PA; miserable in the US; I hear Atlantis may rise again in case the Aussie thing doesn't work out, Bruce.
Tossing insults at one another is fun and all, as long as there is actually some intelligence within the post I don't care. I failed to see anything in your last post.

1. In your mind, WHAT did cause the great depression?

2. In your mind, why is it ok to give assistance to the elderly, but not the young?

3. I have a mocking, scornful tone because I have a low tolerance for the inbred. Wipe your eyes with your skirt and cowboy up Betty.

4. Stop opening new ID's to toss vulgarities at me, its pretty obvious to those not mating with relatives.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:06 AM

[quote=Time2Moov;142464]
Quote:

Tossing insults at one another is fun and all, as long as there is actually some intelligence within the post I don't care. I failed to see anything in your last post.

1. In your mind, WHAT did cause the great depression?

2. In your mind, why is it ok to give assistance to the elderly, but not the young?

3. I have a mocking, scornful tone because I have a low tolerance for the inbred. Wipe your eyes with your skirt and cowboy up Betty.

4. Stop opening new ID's to toss vulgarities at me, its pretty obvious to those not mating with relatives.
Know what? You are completely GONE, you poor, deranged thing. Whoa...sad.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:17 AM

[quote=soulsurv;142473]
Quote:

Know what? You are completely GONE, you poor, deranged thing. Whoa...sad.
That's what I thought. No answers, just denial. Now go aways *poof*

Old 10-28-2006, 02:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Bicker nicely you two! RAWR! Don't make me get all "un-fabulous" and start sissy-slapping you with my purple tiara and pink tutu before spreading AIDS to you through a handshake and molesting your children with my eyes! (What people in Scranton actually believe about gay people!)

Old 10-28-2006, 02:54 PM

20 posts, read 71,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Bicker nicely you two! RAWR! Don't make me get all "un-fabulous" and start sissy-slapping you with my purple tiara and pink tutu before spreading AIDS to you through a handshake and molesting your children with my eyes! (What people in Scranton actually believe about gay people!)
I don't usually wade into political trash-talk threads... bad for the digestion and pretty pointless. I vote Democrat when I vote but I'm not enthusiastic about them. However my motivation to actually go out and push the lever went up a few notches when I read that Bush was funding a government "abstinence" program that said AIDS could be transmitted through sweat and tears (totally false). So in other words don't even give a hug to that gay friend of yours who's crying for being oppressed by government policies - you might get AIDS!

I forget who it was on this thread that hates Frist, but here's one more reason to hate him: Frist was asked about this program on the Sunday talk shows and repeatedly refused to denounce the claim that AIDS could be spread this way. And he's a medical doctor!

The article was online in the NY Review of Books for all who care to look, and before you say, "oh, it's just the limousine liberal NY Times," the article was written by Gary Wills who's a pretty conservative Catholic - I saw him on C-SPAN.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,717 times
This thread is political. It is put on hold now until the moderators decide about the best place to have them. Stay tuned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies