Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And they are the healthiest group. This is nothing out of the norm.
These are the ones labeled "freeloaders" ? The ones that don't use the system ?
Yes, freeloaders. You may want to have a look at what age/gender combo fills up the trauma wards. Hint: It's not elderly females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
How about this>
For those that choose to not buy the product, they must pay before services are rendered, in CASH.
or I'd settle for sign a waiver allowing hospitals to either refuse them, or go for payment with no Statute of Limitations.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
And they are the healthiest group. This is nothing out of the norm.
These are the ones labeled "freeloaders" ? The ones that don't use the system ?
Who says they don't use the system? They may not use it as much as I do at my age, and they don't use it as much as their female age cohorts who are the ones having babies and actually responsible for family planning, but it's not that they don't use the health care system at all. As Dane points out, look at the population of those trauma wards. And they're not all there from auto accidents that car insurance partially pays for. They're there b/c of all the "extreme" and not so extreme sports that they do w/o sometimes even learning how to do them properly, etc. And also, young males do get cancer, kidney stones, communicable diseases, etc.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I was convinced that many of the 18 - 30 year old group wouldn't vote this year and all of a sudden I saw this video of Obamacare supporters being interviewed outside the Supreme Court building before the final decision came out. After watching that bunch of obviously students, in age, I told my 31 year old son what they had said and all he could say was that they must think anything that others have to pay for is free. It is good to watch people like this talk so you can see how Obamacare has "bought" many votes from the lack of understanding of so many people who love that word, free.

Obamacare supporters demand ‘free’ healthcare | Video | TheBlaze.com
Yeah those students aren't too bright. Everyone knows you have to wait until you are 65 to get the free, single payer government healthcare.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
or I'd settle for sign a waiver allowing hospitals to either refuse them, or go for payment with no Statute of Limitations.

Keep in mind that for the most part we are not talking about people who can not afford it. Medicaid takes care of the poorest folks. It is people who choose not to pay for coverage so they can buy something else.
It may also be illegal immigrants that do not get coverage.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who says they don't use the system? They may not use it as much as I do at my age, and they don't use it as much as their female age cohorts who are the ones having babies and actually responsible for family planning, but it's not that they don't use the health care system at all. As Dane points out, look at the population of those trauma wards. And they're not all there from auto accidents that car insurance partially pays for. They're there b/c of all the "extreme" and not so extreme sports that they do w/o sometimes even learning how to do them properly, etc. And also, young males do get cancer, kidney stones, communicable diseases, etc.
Do you have a link to the stats ?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
When I was 26 I was a healthy young man that should not have spent any money on health insurance. However as a recent 'Nam veteran, I realized life is fragile and health can be fleeting. Accordingly I stayed a part time graduate student to take advantage of the relatively low cost school HI and well as continue my studies. I guessed right as I had appendicitis that required an operation. The insurance paid for most of the cost. If I had to take out a loan to pay for it I would have been in real financial trouble. If I had refused because I could not afford the operation I would have been dead. The fact that I had not real choice is what removes health care from an open market system. Without a competitive open market the system should be government owned.

I do not agree with either of the health insurance schemes because they do not include cost controls on the private sector insurance companies or on the care providers. A completely publicly owned Universal Health Care system would. Under this system doctors could still make six figure incomes but insurance executives would not make eight figure paychecks..

The students and most other people realize the health care is not free and never has been. They consider private sector health insurance and care are charging far more then cost and are making excessive profits at the public expense. People also consider excluding people with existing conditions to be inhumane and cruel. My objection to the new system is it does not include cost controls on the entire health care system.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Do you have a link to the stats ?
For God's sake! As if you had to ask.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/98.010.PDF
Sports and Recreational Equipment Injuries by Age and Sex

Plus much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well you know if you provided the links to begin with to back up your assertions then maybe people wouldn't ask.

I've seen you do it. What..your word is "gold" and everyone else is questioned and has to provide "proof" ?

Sorry..it doesn't work that way.

BTW..how did you correlate 1996 crash data and sports injuries to not having insurance ?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post

Keep in mind that for the most part we are not talking about people who can not afford it. Medicaid takes care of the poorest folks. It is people who choose not to pay for coverage so they can buy something else.
It may also be illegal immigrants that do not get coverage.
I know, and that is why hospitals need the ability to collect the expense without being limited by statute. I'd prefer it carry the same weight as student loans, allowing the IRS to garnish wages if needed to insure they are paid in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies