Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,164,062 times

Advertisements

I always hear people say the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, or insert any war here, 'protect my freedom' by being over there. But where's the evidence? I actually think their presence there makes us LESS free since it pisses the rest of the world off and gives the US government more excuse to take away my freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,775,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
But where's the evidence?
Where's evidence it hasn't? For example if you had a very large presence of police in your neighborhood you're trying to argue why do I need such a large police presence since there is no crime.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,392,732 times
Quote:
I always hear people say the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, or insert any war here, 'protect my freedom' by being over there. But where's the evidence? I actually think their presence there makes us LESS free since it pisses the rest of the world off and gives the US government more excuse to take away my freedom.
The gas in your car.

[you're free to move about the country]

Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The gas in your car.

[you're free to move about the country]
What about my freedom to move about the country without a car, ie a decent rail system? Or better yet my freedom to leave this country?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Where's evidence it hasn't? For example if you had a very large presence of police in your neighborhood you're trying to argue why do I need such a large police presence since there is no crime.
Trust me, if the terrorists hated us so bad, they would be trying a lot harder than they have been.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
What about my freedom to move about the country without a car, ie a decent rail system? Or better yet my freedom to leave this country?
What powers the rail system? And you can leave now if you want.

[walk or swim - no gas required]

Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,863,085 times
We have been in Afghanistan for a decade but yet they never did anything to us outside of not allowing in our troops. We would not have allowed their troops into the U.S. either.

Yes, they were likely covering for someone we wanted, but so did France with Ira Einhorn. We were in the end able to get OBL without a full scale decade long war.

We lost many young lives in Afghanistan. We are not more safe today because of it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What powers the rail system? And you can leave now if you want.

[walk or swim - no gas required]
Green energy.

And no, I can't 'just leave'. It's not nearly that simple.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM

694 posts, read 742,333 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Most of the military action we get into does not protect your freedom. Having a military overall does protect you in that we can defend our nation.

Charles Sands

Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Green energy.

And no, I can't 'just leave'. It's not nearly that simple.
"Green" energy doesn't dominate the power grid of this country. One day, perhaps, but until then, you're on oil.

You're not blaming America's warmongering for why you can't simply leave - are you?

[unless you're an illegal immigrant or a war refugee I don't see the connection]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies