Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Seems to me that Cubans are more in tune with 'traditional' American virtues than other Hispanics. There seems to me more of a focus on education and achievement, as opposed to Mexcians or Puerto Ricans for example. I've found that Cubans will focus on long term achievement for their kids, where as Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in America see their kids more as a family contributor who can supplement household income as they reach teen years. Are the Cubans at the top of the Hispanic pecking order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Cubans without a doubt. Living in Florida my whole life I have been exposed to just about every type of Hispanic imaginable. It is fairly routine to come across Cubans who have college degrees and well paying jobs. In fact, within my own immediate circle of friends there are three cubans who have all done very well for themselves.

Cuban Americans have a bit of a different story than other Hispanic Americans though. First and foremost is that most of them are White. When integrating with the dominant culture it certainly helps to share the same race as them.

Next up from what I have seen would probably be Domincan Americans. They tend to greatly value education for their kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The question was not about how white they are, and how educated they are, ir was about assimilation, and I do not think Cubans are well assimilated at all. On the contrary, they work hard on trying to turn Miami into their home country. If you want to talk about education, I'd say the Venezualans are ahead of the others as Chavez has driven out all the educated people and many ended up here in US.
Frankly, I don't think it is fair to compare Cubans to any/all other Hispanic immigrants to this country. Cubans have been afforded a privilege that no other immigrant group (Hispanic or not) in the history of this country has ever gotten: since 1966, there's been no such thing as an illegal Cuban immigrant. Actually, in 1966 it became official policy with concomitant benefits, but the Cuban open door policy came into being with the 1959 revolution.

Cubans and other Hispanic groups do not play on the same playing fields...

Last edited by ray1945; 07-09-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Cubans who fled Casto came here to escape from the tyranny of Communism. They valued the freedom and opportunity that the USA offered. As such they sought to assimilate and succeed here. At that time there were no social handouts to speak of as the illegal aliens of today come to collect in the USA.
Boy are you wrong. Google the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966 - no, wait, I'll do it for you....
3/16/00 Cuba: The Cuban Adjustment Act

Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The question was not about how white they are, and how educated they are, ir was about assimilation, and I do not think Cubans are well assimilated at all. On the contrary, they work hard on trying to turn Miami into their home country. If you want to talk about education, I'd say the Venezualans are ahead of the others as Chavez has driven out all the educated people and many ended up here in US.
The question was "Are they the most assimilated". Compared to other Hispanic groups, yes they are.

Whether or not Cuban Americans are fully assimilated is another talking point.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The question was "Are they the most assimilated". Compared to other Hispanic groups, yes they are.

Whether or not Cuban Americans are fully assimilated is another talking point.
Have you been to Miami lately?? The Cubans did not become assimilated. Quite the contrary - they came here by the hundreds of thousands and like an amoeba assimilated Miami!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Obviously, YOU have NEVER been to Miami.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Have you been to Miami lately?? The Cubans did not become assimilated. Quite the contrary - they came here by the hundreds of thousands and like an amoeba assimilated Miami!
I go to Miami all the time. Well, like four times a year or so. I live in Tampa myself but my family lives in South Florida so I make regular visits. I am well aware that Miami is the most Spanish oriented major city in America and that Cubans made it that way. But they also put Miami on the map by turning it into major center of international banking, tourism, and entertainment.

I have given my reasons for believing why they are the most assimilated. Which Hispanic group do you think are the most assimilated and why?

Edit: I should also point out that so many posters here are referencing Miami. Miami doesn't even contain half of the total Cuban American population so Miami cannot be the only talking point here. There is a large Cuban population right here in Tampa that has roots back to the early 20th century and they are doing quite well and very very few of them speak the Spanish that their great grandparents did.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,405 times
Quote:

An doan fougedabout dat addatute Mang.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I go to Miami all the time. Well, like four times a year or so. I live in Tampa myself but my family lives in South Florida so I make regular visits. I am well aware that Miami is the most Spanish oriented major city in America and that Cubans made it that way. But they also put Miami on the map by turning it into major center of international banking, tourism, and entertainment.

I have given my reasons for believing why they are the most assimilated. Which Hispanic group do you think are the most assimilated and why?
Historically? The Spaniards. They came to this country like every other immigrant group. No special privileges. No language advantages. No nothing. They came, they worked, they learned English, they assimilated.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Historically? The Spaniards. They came to this country like every other immigrant group. No special privileges. No language advantages. No nothing. They came, they worked, they learned English, they assimilated.
The Spaniards? They never came to this country in any noticable number. The last major wave of Spanish emigrants greatly prefered Argentina over America. How many Spanish Americans have you even met to make such a claim?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
The Spaniards? They never came to this country in any noticable number. The last major wave of Spanish emigrants greatly prefered Argentina over America. How many Spanish Americans have you even met to make such a claim?
I didn't know there was head count qualification....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies