Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I would gladly pay an additional $100.00 per year so all can have healthcare.BE AN AMERICAN AND STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT! Lot's better to do that than see a kid whose parent died from not getting proper treatment due to alack of money.
Would you gladly pay another $800 a year for someone else ? How about $1800 a year ?

How much is your fair share ? $100 does not sound like you're paying enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I would gladly pay an additional $100.00 per year so all can have healthcare.BE AN AMERICAN AND STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT! Lot's better to do that than see a kid whose parent died from not getting proper treatment due to alack of money.
$100/year won't get you squat. Go and find a poor family and pay for their insurance yourself if you feel that strongly.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would you gladly pay another $800 a year for someone else ? How about $1800 a year ?

How much is your fair share ? $100 does not sound like you're paying enough.
$1800 a year is a bargain. Where do I sign up?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
$100/year won't get you squat. Go and find a poor family and pay for their insurance yourself if you feel that strongly.
S/he isn't talking about paying for someone's total health care. S/he is saying pay $100 more. $100 extra per household could provide a lot of health ins. for the uninusured.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
S/he isn't talking about paying for someone's total health care. S/he is saying pay $100 more. $100 extra per household could provide a lot of health ins. for the uninusured.
$100 a year needs to be subsidized though. Someone else has to pay the additional cost for that healthcare.

$100 by itself won't provide squat.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
That is not even a start on the additional money it will cost for the people who actually pay taxes.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Not quite correct. Who's lies are you believing?

PolitiFact Texas | MSNBC host Rachel Maddow says Texas routinely receives more federal dollars than Texans pay in federal taxes

In fiscal 2009, the IRS collected about $163 billion from Texans and the state received about $224 billion, for a net gain of $61 billion. Federal spending in Texas also exceeded tax payments in 2008 by $8 billion. It was the other way around in 2006 and 2007, when tax payments by Texans exceeded federal spending by a total of about $47 billion.

Eva DeLuna Castro, a budget analyst at Austin’s Center for Public Policy Priorities, which advocates for moderate- to low-income Texans, told us Texas started receiving more federal funds in the last decade because of an increase in military spending, tax cuts and tax credits and a modest growth in federal health spending — not to mention a spike in social services and aid every time a hurricane hit.

"Texas is definitely getting back way more than people in Texas are paying in taxes," she said. "So do a lot of other states. Texas isn’t unique in that."
Notice that I specified "before the recession." In 2009, virtually every state, if not every single state, got more back than they paid (and there's a good chance that's still the case today).

Look at the bolded. Also, look at this (from YOUR link)...

Quote:
On an annual basis, however, there were only six years in that time period when Texas residents paid fewer dollars in federal taxes than they got in return, according to the foundation.
Also....

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...e-20071009.swf

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
And why should I or anyone else be required to pay this? Joe is single white guy making 35k a year. He doesnt have insurance. He could if he wanted to. Instead he goes without, he is taking his chances.

Now what I keep hearing from the supporters of Obama care is that we already pay for people like joe.
Hmmm perhaps we do. But then why did my premiums go up? Why do we need a new tax?

I say all those who wish to volunteer to pay for those who dont want to pay for their own insurance raise your hands. You may have your personal funds diverted to your cause.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
You know, I pay for my health care out of my own pocket. Novel concept, eh?

There is so much ignorance in this thread from the left, again.
You will only pay a little bit out of your own pocket and then after a catastrophic illness you will be jobless and broke and on public assistance and then we will pay your bill.

Do you actually want to me a mooch?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And why should I or anyone else be required to pay this? Joe is single white guy making 35k a year. He doesnt have insurance. He could if he wanted to. Instead he goes without, he is taking his chances.

Now what I keep hearing from the supporters of Obama care is that we already pay for people like joe.
Hmmm perhaps we do. But then why did my premiums go up? Why do we need a new tax?

I say all those who wish to volunteer to pay for those who dont want to pay for their own insurance raise your hands. You may have your personal funds diverted to your cause.
You're talking about the "voluntarily uninsured". Mostly young, single, childless males.

http://epionline.org/studies/oneill_06-2009.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies