Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
PS: I love when people use the term "obstruction".

As if it's always a bad thing......the party in the minority are always labelled as "obstructionists".

Isn't Obama also being an "obstructionist" when he says he won't sign any bill from Congress that includes continuing the tax cuts for those making over $250,000?
I love it when people cry about obstruction. My response, your job in the legislature and executive branch is to build consensus. JUst because you think your ideas are good are meaningless uless you convince others.
Trying hard, and meaning well really don't matter, all that matter is the end product....if the Orator in CHief thinks he has good ideas, they must not be that good...as he would convince others if they were. If he can't convince others, than he needs to fin a middle ground....and if he can't do that, he shouldn't be the leader of the free world. I for one am tired of excuse after excuse, leaders lead, amateurs complain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The next meme, that stimulus doesn't do anything, is simply explained:

Where:
C=private consumption
I=gross investment
G=government spending
X=exports
M=imports

When government "G" spends more money, GDP rises and employment rises. It's as simple as that.

Also see:
Everything Obama has done — and wants to do — on taxes in one post

I agree that GDP rises, but can you prove that GDP rising is synonymous with economic improvement?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This has to do with Fed policy because it shows that the Repub policies, which are the SAME general policies and philosophies as at the Fed level, are starting to WORK already in some of the Repub-governed states while they are not working in the Dem-governed states.
Could you be any less specific about these policies and states you're talking about? Or, could you surprise me with this knowledge of facts you're using to make your points?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
that's a projection for next year's shortfall.

by law, california has to have a balanced budget.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Let's assume there is 0 obstruction from the GOP and he has both houses of Congress (oh wait...he did). HOW will Obama's policies improve the economy?

Example: Raising taxes on the rich..what will that do to improve the economy?

I'm generally curious on HOW these things work, I'm not looking for vaccuum arguments. For example, in the case above, "well, lowering taxes for the rich failed, so raising them will work." I want to know why raising taxes helps an economy, grows GDP, gets people back to work, spurs investment and makes America great again.

Any takers? By the way, feel free to add other policies other than raising taxes.
If Republicans would agree to go ahead and extend tax cuts for 97% of Americans it would remove doubt from the market about future tax expansion. Then debate the merits for the remaining 3% individually.

That's one way.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Source? And text please, verbatim, not potentially edited videos.
jt800 claims Obama said, "raising taxes on ANYONE would hurt the economy."

In reality Obama said, "In a deep recession, normally you don't raise taxes." And he goes on to explain that's why they cut taxes. (which is true, they cut payroll taxes and the GOP threw a hissy fit.)

He clarifies again, "We have not proposed a tax hike for the wealthy that would take effect in the middle of the recession. Even the proposals .. wouldn't kick in until after the recession was over."

Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

In reality Obama said, "In a deep recession, normally you don't raise taxes." And he goes on to explain that's why they cut taxes.

He clarifies again, "We have not proposed a tax hike for the wealthy that would take effect in the middle of the recession. Even the proposals .. wouldn't kick in until after the recession was over."

It's sad I have to go around double-checking your sources to make sure you aren't bullsh*tting me.
Yep. It is trickery like this that is our lame media thrives on... they have an audience for it.+

Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,713,608 times
Quote:
that's a projection for next year's shortfall.

by law, california has to have a balanced budget.

Really?

That's weird then that the article says: "There's a $3.5-billion tax shortfall in the current fiscal year, according to the controller."

Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,713,608 times
Quote:

In reality Obama said, "In a deep recession, normally you don't raise taxes." And he goes on to explain that's why they cut taxes. (which is true, they cut payroll taxes and the GOP threw a hissy fit.)

Ahhhh...so you don't think the economy STINKS enough?

If raising taxes on the wealthy was bad back then, by definition, it's not going to improve the economy NOW either.

OBVIOUSLY raising taxes on the wealthy does NOT improve the economy.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This has to do with Fed policy
Fed policy?

Federal Reserve Banking policy is exactly why the Federal Government's financial policies are a different animal from the State Governments'.

Quote:
because it shows that the Repub policies, which are the SAME general policies and philosophies as at the Fed level, are starting to WORK already in some of the Repub-governed states while they are not working in the Dem-governed states.
They are not the same policies. States cannot legally run deficits. States' revenues are being hit by the declining property markets -- federal revenue declines are being offset by the printing press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies