Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM

170 posts, read 129,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Wrong again. We DO have equal opportunities. This sounds like liberal nonsense. It is about how far people are willing to go in order to better their circumstances. The opportunities are out there for all citizens. Believing it, getting out there and striving for it is where the problems lie in people. And it IS about mentality. The harder someone feels they will have to work at it, the less likely they will, the more excuses they tend to make, and the blame gets put on those who happen to be achievers.
No we don't. Is that why poor schools have less AP and IB programs? Is that why poorer locations have less doctors per capita than richer areas? Is that why there are less libraries and bookstores per capita in poor areas? Is that why the poor are less likely to graduate college once accepted (typically work more hours and less able to concentrate). Is that why the poor are more likely to be sentenced higher for the same charges? You get my point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
I went to school featured multiple times on the Real OC (MTV). The kids are rich. My friends would blow their trust funds on things like antique rifles, vacation and they lived in apartments overlooking the beach...the rent being nearly 3k a month (it depended on the friend what things they bought, meanwhile the rest of my friends and I struggled to keep the heat on). My parent's friends bought a car to match their vacation house in Tanzania. They shipped it from Europe to Tanzania. We had to go from their chalet to their house in Geneva to figure out logistics. I work for a family that pays me 60 and hour to essentially play with their kids in English, but not actually teach them.

If you have it, you don't flaunt it in night clubs, but in other ways.

The rich obviously consume more.
Depends on the level of wealth i am sure, but also on how hard they worked to gain it. Show me a spoiled rich kid and I'll show you a kid whose parents have low expectations and lower accountability.
My friend I spoke of earlier? His son works for him. He had to start as a grunt at the bottom and learn the business the way his dad did. He hunts with us also, but his dad wont pay his way. They tease each other about it. he will inherit the kingdom someday but until then he has to earn his own way.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,488 times
Quote:
No we don't. Is that why poor schools have less AP and IB programs? Is that why poorer locations have less doctors per capita than richer areas? Is that why there are less libraries and bookstores per capita in poor areas? Is that why the poor are less likely to graduate college once accepted (typically work more hours and less able to concentrate). Is that why the poor are more likely to be sentenced higher for the same charges? You get my point...
So take a bus to the nearest library. Stop making excuses for the lack of motivation. The poor are less likely to graduate due to their own choices about doing so. excuses, excuses.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So take a bus to the nearest library. Stop making excuses for the lack of motivation. The poor are less likely to graduate due to their own choices about doing so. excuses, excuses.
That would be great if bus service were available in poorer districts like in middle class districts to the same extent. Not to mention, that this just proves my point.

The poor are less likely to graduate because of their own choices? So it has nothing to do with the fact that they work more hours on average to pay for their education? I thought that it would be admirable to try to pay your way? That's a good choice. Now it's not?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Depends on the level of wealth i am sure, but also on how hard they worked to gain it. Show me a spoiled rich kid and I'll show you a kid whose parents have low expectations and lower accountability.
My friend I spoke of earlier? His son works for him. He had to start as a grunt at the bottom and learn the business the way his dad did. He hunts with us also, but his dad wont pay his way. They tease each other about it. he will inherit the kingdom someday but until then he has to earn his own way.
Low accountability or not, the fact is that flaunting occurs in different ways.

Well it's nepotism (to be honest I would do the same thing). He didn't earn his way completely if he was offered a job initially and will inherit it.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,488 times
Quote:
That would be great if bus service were available in poorer districts like in middle class districts to the same extent. Not to mention, that this just proves my point.

The poor are less likely to graduate because of their own choices? So it has nothing to do with the fact that they work more hours on average to pay for their education? I thought that it would be admirable to try to pay your way? That's a good choice. Now it's not?
Of course it's admirable to pay your own way. Where did I say that it was not? I know there are folks who work long hours AND go to school. Maybe they sleep 5 hours a night, but again, that is a choice they make to better their lives.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,670 times
Quote:
You didn't read the rest. Did I say anything was wrong? I'm simply pointing out how erroneous it is to paint him as a self made man.
As I pointed out before, no person is an Island, but to say that the responsibility for his wealth isn't his is just wrong. Growing and maintaining wealth is an ability many people don't have no matter what opportunity or amount of money is put in front of them. Knowing what to do with it is most of it. You can't inherit that. I believe it to be a talent like knowing how to do anything else. For example. If someone makes their millions as a musician they are self made even if their parents bought them music lessons and they were later smart enough to connect to the right people to promote them. No one does anything completely alone. The argument that no one is responsible for their outcome, rich or poor is just a bad defeatist attitude.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:

I disagree with you. Consequences fair and unfair follow the child. His parents were stupid and didnt save money the kid pays the price. The parents had 6 kids and couldnt afford even 1 the kid pays the price. Worse still the kid goes on to do the same exact thing his parents did. I look around me where I live. So many kids repeat the mistakes of thier parents. Its mind set.
I am white trailor trash and its ok because the government will pay me welfare.

It is about choices. Ignorance: When you know that there is a better way but refuse to change. My Grand fathers definition. He drilled it into us growing up.

Like I said it isnt the guy worth 10 million bucks opening the bars at 6am to get semi blasted to start his day.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Of course it's admirable to pay your own way. Where did I say that it was not? I know there are folks who work long hours AND go to school. Maybe they sleep 5 hours a night, but again, that is a choice they make to better their lives.
You stated it's a choice. I pointed out that on average that people who do not graduate are the poor because they typically have to work more hours and have less time to study. Thus, if it is a choice to graduate they are making the wrong choice to pay for education, statistically speaking.

Sleeping 5 hours a night actually increases the risk of you not graduating. So even that choice leads to you not graduating.

So your option are a) don't go to college b) work a lot and get the required amount of rest and thus have little time to study c) work a lot and not sleep and thus not have the concentration to study...all of these choices lead to the same result. Of course there are exceptions. However, the rule still stands.

Statistically speaking, opportunities are not equal. Period.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM

798 posts, read 1,033,742 times
Quote:
I disagree. The fact that the poor have to take an extra step(going to the library vs. good teachers in school) proves RUOK's point. And what about kids who want to excel in music or arts? With no teachers or music programs at the school, where do you go to play a trumpet or a violin? What art classes do you take if you have no money? There are less opportunities for those who are poor than those who are born into an affluent environment. Going to better schools gets you into better colleges. Being in a neighborhood that encourages education will most likely lead to a college education. College can be paid for by a 529 saved by your parents or them paying your tuition.

And one could argue that those who are poor can opt in to a 529 too. It is possible that they did not have the money to do so. It is also possible that they have never learned what a 529 is from their parents. They do not know that these kinds of entities exist. And if you don't know about something, where do you go to learn about it? Answer: you won't because you can't look for something that you don't even know exists. If you and no one around you knew about ice cream, would you go try to buy an ice cream from a vendor?

And for every poor kid that succeeds in making it in America, there are probably countless stories of poor students that worked their a$$ off and have nothing to show for it. That's not to say that you shouldn't try. What I'm trying to prove is that poor students and adults have less opportunities than their wealthier peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies