Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
And some people will still claim that the Tea Party is not a racist organization. Anybody that still displays a Confederate flag in this day and age is a scumbag racist, spare me the stupid Southern pride and state's rights crap, everybody knows what that flag really represents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
By your logic, Bush should have never been President because he won his re-election by the slimmest margin of any second term President and he barely got 50% of the vote the first time around. No wonder he was hated by a good half of the country throughout his entire time in office.

nope he should not have, and neither should have gore been either if bush had lost florida.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There were a few traitors to Mexico called Texans who rebelled against the Mexican govt in a few battles called The Alamo, The Battle at San Jacinto and others

Davey Crockett, Sam Houston, Stephen Austin... all a bunch of radicals who fought their government for freedom and undue taxes.

That little General Santa Anna killed many of these traitors for rebelling against the country.

San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

To the VICTOR go the spoils...

Old 07-11-2012, 08:11 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Its flown EVERYDAY in many places.. it represents MORE than just secession and treason.
Ever been to the amusement parks "Six Flags (over Texas)" ?

Those 6 flags represent the flags that have flown over many states and very much a part of much of our history. One is the Confederate Flag.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ever been to the amusement parks "Six Flags (over Texas)" ?

Those 6 flags represent the flags that have flown over many states and very much a part of much of our history. One is the Confederate Flag.
Been to the one in Arlington.. but don't remember the actual flags.. I think there is a watered down effect for us who live in the South. We see the flag in many places but simply do not pay it much attention..

Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I can't say that I am surprised by the usuals attempting to justify this. To say the Confederate flag symbolizes state rights as if the "right" to own slaves was not one a major factor is ridiculous. There are certain things that some of us do not like to glorify and celebrate and being a black person or just a person who sees a problem with enslaving other human beings that flag strikes a nerve. You can discuss history all day. You can discuss the "good men" that died fighting (as if you knew them all personally) and re-enact battles in your back yard if you want, but to most of us it isn't something to celebrate. Yes there was more to the Civil War than slavery, but can you really blame people for focusing on it. How is that a right? Don't you think that is something that would stand out a little bit. Can we move on? That flag is no better than wearing a sheet over your head. Don't whine about racism and accuse others of playing the race card when you refuse to let it die by waving around a rag that represents one of the most atrocious and racist practices in American history. Try to spin it any way you want, but it is what it is.
What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Seriously, it was the United States of America that brought slaves here. It was the United States of America that overthrew an elected prime minister of Iran and imposed the brutal shah of the people. It's the United States of America that carpet drone bombed civilians in Pakistan. It's the United States of America that has the worst education system in the western world and the least healthy residents.

If the Confederate flag represents slavery, then the American flag represents murder, opporession, preemptive war, obesity, stupidity, jingoism, death, destruction, and a has-been country that still hasn't seen the light of it's own demise.

But please, feel free to go and worship your omnipotent government, for it can do no wrong.
You need to go back to Virginia Tech (or maybe your local CC) and take a history course. It was not the USA who brought slaves to America, it was the British government. The stuff about Iran and Pakistan is irrelevant to this thread, as is the last sentence which is also a crock of compost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't condone flying the confederate flag like that, in fact I think it was DUMB to do so in the parade but the flag is part of our HISTORY... its a flag.. it represents a lot more than just slavery...

If you are keenly observant you will see this flag flown in many places throughout the south.. it goes mostly unnoticed. Perhaps that is why I am so immune to the outrage over the flag...
Well, as an expression of free speech, I guess it was OK to display that flag. OTOH, to give them a first prize is appalling. NM wasn't even a state then, and there were only about a dozen slave EVER in NM.

New Mexico Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What he said!

You need to go back to Virginia Tech (or maybe your local CC) and take a history course. It was not the USA who brought slaves to America, it was the British government. The stuff about Iran and Pakistan is irrelevant to this thread, as is the last sentence which is also a crock of compost!

Well, as an expression of free speech, I guess it was OK to display that flag. OTOH, to give them a first prize is appalling. NM wasn't even a state then, and there were only about a dozen slave EVER in NM.

Makes you think they were displaying it just to pizz a few people off.. worked.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Up until the 1850's about half of NM and 1/3 of Colorado was part of Texas (east of the Rio Grande). There were not that many slaves but there were many Texans who lived in NM.

Texas is not southern but western (or many slaves) and there is much in common between these 2-3 states.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Texas was a member of the Confederacy.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Teeth: Check
Pick-Up gassed and ready: Check
Bible: Check
Confederate Flag: Check
Six Pack of Coors: Check

Spending the day outside of the trailer park with my Tea Party buddies to promote ignorance: Priceless
When I see the confederate flag waving off the back of a truck I immediately think red neck.. but when I see it flown in other places and do not immediately conclude ignorance... I think how it is displayed is key here.. if its done, as it appears to be in the parade mentioned, to rub into other peoples faces i can see how that can be construed as ignorance but when I see it flown on flag poles at state monuments, cemeteries, parks, etc.. i don't get the same feeling..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies