Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Homosexuality has been around as long as man has walked the earth. Therefore it is a normal thing.
There is no need to argue for normality of something that is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Researchers from Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health surveyed the demand for medical and mental health care from 1,211 gay men registered with a particular health clinic in the 12 months prior to the change, and the 12 months afterwards.
It's no surprise that people who are treated as second class citizens tend to have low self esteem, which in turn makes them more likely to take risks”
Terrence Higgins Trust spokesman
They found a 13% drop in healthcare visits after the law was enacted.
There was a reduction in blood pressure problems, depression and "adjustment disorders", which the authors claimed could be the result of reduced stress.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16203621

Improved health is a good reason. Less people straining an already overtaxed system.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Homosexuality has been recorded by man ever since man began recording what man does. It's not some extrememly rare, outlying phenomenon (something on the extreme edge of a normal distribution): if you look for one inclined towards homosexual behavior, you can find at least one such person on any day in any culture during any time period. It describes a standard, albeit not majority, type of human being. It's way to prevalent, and always has been, to be considered abnormal. It's normal in the same way predominantly using one's left hand is normal or having red hair is normal (if you want to switch over to physical human characteristics).
One to three percent is pretty rare.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One to three percent is pretty rare.
I have a feeling if the stigma was removed from being homosexual, the count would go up. There is no way to get an accurate count from self reporting.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Benefit: It annoys the lunatics of the religious wacko culture/lifestyle agenda.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Let me start by saying that I am not gay, but have a profound understanding of human psychology as well as having a couple of buddie's that are gay. (and I have learned alot from them in non-sexual areas of life like what kind of bronzer to use when tanning: Flare Bronzer as well as some tips on style/fashion).

And I love women and have my entire life. The way they look (killer curves), their feminine behavior, how they smell,etc.

In a nutshell. I think the whole thing is way more complex than whether or not a guy is just "born" gay because that is an oversimplification of something that is way more complicated. I think the social parameters that a guy grows up in play a role as well as subconscious responses at an early age to members of the opposite sex as well as what might be percieved as normal in his culture combined with his own personnal psychological map. It is important to note that many gay men have other underlying and often undiagnosed emotional and/or psycholgoical issues that although they are not anything that would adversly affect the quality of their lives, could be a contributing factor to their own individual (and maybe not quite a physiological) response to sex and human intimacy.

There is also a significant percentage of gay men that have such a high sex drive (gay or not) that it could never be met by the women that are potentially available to them in a dating pool within their culture or geographical region. So their way of handling it, is by going gay and since men by nature have higher sex drives (and not requiring the emotional level of attachment by women) they are able to satisfy that need for sex and physcial intimacy in the most efficient way possible: with other men. And as a bonus in some cases there is absolutely no risk whatsoever of getting another man pregnant and having offpsring that need to be taken care of for two decades or longer since it is impoossible for two men to procreate.

The decision to roll gay might also be the result (for guys) of unresolved issues with their mother growing up and lacking the ability to bond with a member of the opposite sex in it's purest form, which is the unconditional love given by a primary caregiver to her offspring. So lacking the ability to do that well into adulthood, a guy that might normally be straight might decide to go gay and rebel against the love for a woman that he should have known in his initial vulnerable state of child when his need for attention and love was not returned by a mother that was not completely there emotionally for him at a time when it was very necessary for his development and personnal evolution.

One of my buddies that is gay is always joking about how gross it is that women have periods and refers to the blood factor involved and it has always struck me as odd that he even thinks about that. So maybe when he was younger, he accidently saw one of his mother's tampons in the wastebasket and it was so traumatic and at such a young age that the image and thought of that became implanted in his mind and left an impression that was so horrific, that he never developed the internal neuro-chemistry necessary to want to get closs to that part of a woman or insert part of his body into it. That is totally understandable all things considered if that was or is the case. I can't judge him for that.

And once again, back to the availability of sex amongst gay males. They do not have to go through the endless rituals of courtship, flowers, acting like they love the other guy. Two men together that are gay and at the same time sexual aroused is the same as a guy with a woman in the same state. Only with a man and a women, both parties are not always ready to go. By guys being gay - and with an available supply of other gay men, it is like the most efficient way to get from point A to B and at all times. Yeah, occasionally they have "relationships" but that is more of a sociological response to what they witness members of the opposite sex doing and that form of mimicking what appears to be other human behavior is more of a response to them wanting to adapt to society rather than any inherent need or desire to do it.
For someone who professes to have a profound understanding of psychology, this reads like a bunch of unscientific, anecdotal hogwash. You are far off base and way over-thinking homosexuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I dont think its really a question of gays trying to justify this or that. The question should be, why is it now that they are pandered to and catered to and pushed on everyone? From their own special month, to celebrations of gays at the Pentagon. Its gotten out of hand. And now, if you see two gay people holding hands, kissing, etc and you dont say how "cute" or "lovely" or something else complimentary, you're considered a "hater". Its been pushed on so much and really, its just getting annoying and sickening.

Since when did tolerance equal having to kiss up to them with praise and phony compliments? Just because two dudes are together and look "happy" doesnt mean they have to be showered with this and that. I dont have an issue with them as people, but because I will always see two dudes together as a bit gross and strange doesnt make me some evil person.
Here's what I see:

(1) You're basically upset that views on homosexuality have shifted so much that one can no longer be a blatant homophobe in some places without negative repurcussions and;

(2) That LGBT people are increasingly able to live their lives without hiding a core element of their being and actually be proud of their authentic selves.

*gasp*

The 21st century must be so daunting for you. Get over yourself and wake the hell up. No one is going to go back into hiding because you're turned off by two men together.

Last edited by ariesjow; 07-11-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM

46,953 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Because as a culture when you engage a cultural shift to gain acceptance from the majority when you are 3% of a population of humans you need to explain why.
You do? That's fascinating. What's the cut-off point? 5%? 10%? And to whom do you need to explain why? Who decides if the explanation is satisfactory? And what happens if it isn't?

Hmmm, sounds strange, so I have amuch better idea: How about you and other busybodies adopt the Jeffersonian standard of tolerance embodied in "It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my bones" and let your neighbors form relationships with the consenting adults of their choice?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have a feeling if the stigma was removed from being homosexual, the count would go up. There is no way to get an accurate count from self reporting.
Most reliable estimates are actually in the range of 3-5%.

Which is greater than the % of Jewish or Muslim people in this country, and about the percent of Asians in the country. It's also greater than the percent of natural blondes in the world. So, rarity does not mean unnatural. Only uncommon, not the majority, etc.

In the end, the OP's is a stupid question. You can't ask what the benefits are to someone just BEING.

"Make a case for the normality of being Asian...." doesn't make sense, right?

"Make a case for the normality of lefthandness..."

Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 AM

46,953 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
It's interesting that nobody can make a case for the normality of homosexuality...
Now, that could be interesting. Why don't you try to come up with a general definition of "normality"? We've established that in your mind, an occurrence rate of 3% doesn't cut it. Is your definition of normality purely based on percentages, or?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Answer the OP.

that's all....
WHO ARE YOU to demand an answer to such a stupid and pointless question?

I don't know you - I don't even know if you are male or female - but I can sure conjure up an image of you in my head. Sitting at your computer, feeling all smug and self-righteous with yourself, demanding that a segment of our population JUSTIFY themselves to you. Like it is your RIGHT to DEMAND such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
Why would you even post such a ridiculous question?
I'm not even gay, but if I were, I sure as hell wouldn't answer such a question - just on principle alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
The benefit of the gay lifestyle is exactly the same as the benefit of the straight lifestyle: being able to fall in love, live with the person you love, get married and raise a family if you choose. We all deserve that.
This. ^^^^^^ This is all the OP needs in the way of an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
How about it's none of your business?

And I am straight and have no desire to hear an explanation. Just as I have no desire to explain to people my "heterosexual" behavior.
This. ^^^^^^

Quote:
You can be a goddamn citizen of Venus for all I care.

If you can't give one comment or statement on behalf of the validity of homosexuality, as any rational minded human being can do for heterosexuality, you need to get back in the closet.
So now, because no one wants to play your sick ass game, you're going to resort to rude comments. So predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How about this.
As a citizen I can not have my right, or privileges abridged per the US constitution. 14th amendment.
Marriage is a right per the USSC.
Even if you want to say it is a privilege the 14th covers that too.

What I do is between consenting adults, and harms no one.
It is none of YOUR business who I choose to live my life with, enter a contract with (marriage), or how I raise my children, as long as I am harming no one.
Ah.....but they make it their business. And then whine and snivel that the gay "lifestyle" is being shoved down their throats.

There is truly something sick and pathological about that.

You all can do what you want and respond to the OP however you see fit, but I hope everyone thinks twice about playing this sick and twisted game he/she is trying to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies