Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

ATF supervisor in Seattle resigns amid internal probe over informant | Local News | The Seattle Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Times
A supervisor in the Seattle office of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has resigned while under internal investigation over his handling of a paid informant who sexually abused a woman while working for the agency, according to a federal source who has been briefed on the matter.
A BATF undercover agent had a CI and drinking buddy (according to the CI himself) who was sentenced recently for holding a woman against her will as a sex slave in a Seattle motel. She was able to get out of the situation by claiming to be sick, and while at a clinic told clinic workers that she was being held against her will at the motel room that was being paid for by the BATF.

A previous Seattle Times story gives more background on the CI.
Violent criminal on federal payroll as informant | Local News | The Seattle Times

According to the Times, the CI is 34 years old and has been incarcerated in 43 of the 50 states. He got out of prison in WA on early release in early 2011, and soon went to work for the BATF. He was sentenced to 10 years for the sex-slave crime in April 2012, and his BATF handler Jim Contreras, resigned about 2 months later on June 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Must be getting too used to stories of LE corruption because I'm not fazed by this story.
Seems to be becoming BAU. Get caught and resign. Story disappears and life goes on as if nothing happened.
Corruption has become acceptable.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM

edit--I also just noticed this paragraph from the story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Times
Contreras, reached by telephone Monday, disputed that he had resigned, saying he had retired. He said he was too busy to elaborate.
I was a little suprised that an agent was being held accountable, and it may be that was not really held accountable, but given the proverbial 'golden parachute.' I guess we'll probably never know for sure, after all this is the BATF under Atty Gen Eric Holder.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
edit--I also just noticed this paragraph from the story:

I was a little suprised that an agent was being held accountable, and it may be that was not really held accountable, but given the proverbial 'golden parachute.' I guess we'll probably never know for sure, after all this is the BATF under Atty Gen Eric Holder.
Actually, this is the BATF under Treasury Secretary Timothy "Tax Cheat" Geithner. The BATF falls under the Department of the Treasury, not the Department of Justice.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Just another selfless government employee working to make us safer.

why do we need the BATF again?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just another selfless government employee working to make us safer.

why do we need the BATF again?
To make sure criminals have access to guns

Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, this is the BATF under Treasury Secretary Timothy "Tax Cheat" Geithner. The BATF falls under the Department of the Treasury, not the Department of Justice.
That was actually changed during the Bush admin. from the BATF website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATF
Effective January 24, 2003, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was transferred under the Homeland Security bill to the Department of Justice. The law enforcement functions of ATF under the Department of the Treasury were transferred to the Department of Justice. The tax and trade functions of ATF will remain in the Treasury Department with the new Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That was actually changed during the Bush admin. from the BATF website:
"Well slap me thrice and hand me to me momma!" I guess that conclusively proves it was all Bush's fault.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Um, so they use a criminal informant who committed a crime while acting as such.

This is shocking how exactly?

What are they supposed to do? Hire some mormon mission student that doesn't even know what a dimebag is to infiltrate drug and biker gangs? ROFLMAO. At least you know he isn't committing crimes on the side.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, so they use a criminal informant who committed a crime while acting as such.

This is shocking how exactly?

What are they supposed to do? Hire some mormon mission student that doesn't even know what a dimebag is to infiltrate drug and biker gangs? ROFLMAO. At least you know he isn't committing crimes on the side.
Quote:
ATF paid for the motel room where the woman was sexually abused, according to police records obtained by The Seattle Times

How would you feel if your tax dollars had been used to allow the perp to carry out a crime against a loved one?

Now would be a good time to end the drug war and disband the BATF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies