Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think should happen?
Marriage for all. 45 52.33%
Civil unions for all. 8 9.30%
No government recognition. 22 25.58%
Other. Please explain. 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,134,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
OK, but on what basis do you call something an "abuse"? What's your moral code?

You either follow a universal moral code with authority, or you make up your own morality according to your own personal lights. Which is it for you?

First, the Golden Rule doesn't shield everyone from abuse. The "as you would have them do unto you" part can justify all kinds of evil acts.

Second, from whence does the Golden Rule derive its authority? You accept it: why must everyone else accept it? Because you say so? How is that not imposing your own morality on everyone else?
I never said that others had to live by my moral ideals. I do, and that is all that matters to me.

Abuse is anything that harms another person. Rape is abuse. Neglect is abuse. there is psychological abuse.
If you don't know what constitutes abuse in legal terms than google is your friend.

I don't need an "authority" to to tell me to be good to people, and treat them as I would want to be treated. Why do you need some reward to be good to others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,587,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You take care of what your kids watch, and I'll take care of my kids.
It isn't my job to police your children or their viewing habits.
But here's what you're missing: the whole crusade to legitimize and normalize homosexuality is eroding the freedom of everyone else. We're becoming prisoners in our own country. We can't watch television, read a newspaper, take our kids to public places, send them school, etc., etc., etc. without the homosexual lifestyle being rubbed in our noses.

You want the right to "express" your homosexuality everywhere. I want the right to live and raise my children in a country that isn't a putrid moral cesspool. As your rights increase, mine decrease. Hence, the culture war, and it's going to get ugly.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 07-12-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Agree to disagree. If your kids come into my house and two ken dolls or two barbies start doing things that offend my kids, your kid will be on the curb waiting for you to pick them up.
My kids would never be left alone at you house, so that won't be a problem.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Another thing to consider is where does the homosexual marriage go. Once it is accepted, when does it stop. 65 year old man and a 13 year old girl getting married? A Pedophile marrying a 14 year old. Sandusky not getting convicted. Where does it end, where?
Equal rights? Equal liberties?
Age of consent. Children can not consent. End of discussion.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 PM

4,797 posts, read 3,481,818 times
Quote:
My kids would never be left alone at you house, so that won't be a problem.
Thats so Ghey.. Emotions run high in you..

Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Thats so Ghey.. Emotions run high in you..
No, my children are never left unsupervised with any adult that is not immediate family, or their teacher. I also get to know the teaches very well, and spend at least one day a week in the class helping out.

Nothing against you, but you are not their teacher, nor a member of my family.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,363,867 times
Quote:
Another thing to consider is where does the homosexual marriage go. Once it is accepted, when does it stop. 65 year old man and a 13 year old girl getting married? A Pedophile marrying a 14 year old.
Okay, first, what exactly do you think these things have in common with gay marriage?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,587,774 times
Quote:
I never said that others had to live by my moral ideals. I do, and that is all that matters to me.
I don't believe you. That just isn't credible.

My moral code says homosexuality is a sin. Therefore, if I operate a school, I don't hire open homosexuals to teach children; if I own a rental home, I don't accept them as tenants; if I operate a TV station, I don't accept advertising for their organizations; if I own a print shop, I don't print their literature; if I am a lawmaker, I work to minimize their influence in society. Etc. That's how I live out my moral code.

Presumably, you would deny me the ability to do at least some of these things. It bothers you when I live out my moral code. You want your moral code to interfere with mine.

Quote:
Abuse is anything that harms another person. Rape is abuse. Neglect is abuse. there is psychological abuse. If you don't know what constitutes abuse in legal terms than google is your friend.
Oh, so Google is going to tell me what abuse is? Please. I believe that raising children in a homosexual environment is child abuse. You disagree. We disagree because we have different ideas of what "harms another person", for one thing. My morality says that children should never be placed in such an environment. Your morality would prevent me from helping them. Either your morality is imposed on me, or mine is imposed on you. There is no moral neutrality here.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,363,867 times
Quote:
I believe that raising children in a homosexual environment is child abuse.
Truly, nothing could be more humorous! Lol.

Quote:
My morality... Your morality...
You know what? I was wrong

Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I don't believe you. That just isn't credible.

My moral code says homosexuality is a sin. Therefore, if I operate a school, I don't hire open homosexuals to teach children; if I own a rental home, I don't accept them as tenants; if I operate a TV station, I don't accept advertising for their organizations; if I own a print shop, I don't print their literature; if I am a lawmaker, I work to minimize their influence in society. Etc. That's how I live out my moral code.

Presumably, you would deny me the ability to do at least some of these things. It bothers you when I live out my moral code. You want your moral code to interfere with mine.

Oh, so Google is going to tell me what abuse is? Please. I believe that raising children in a homosexual environment is child abuse. You disagree. We disagree because we have different ideas of what "harms another person", for one thing. My morality says that children should never be placed in such an environment. Your morality would prevent me from helping them. Either your morality is imposed on me, or mine is imposed on you. There is no moral neutrality here.
Do what you want in your business, rental home, etc. As long as there are no laws against discriminating where you live, or you don't get caught that is on you. It has no effect on me as I own my own business, my partner works for a very pro equality company, and we own our own house.

My adult children have turned out better than many children raised by heterosexual couples that I know. I have done my job teaching them to be responsible, respectful adults. My younger child is well on his way to be just like them.

My getting equal right will not impose my morals on you, as you will not be required to have a same sex marriage.

Have a good evening, it's almost dinner time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies