Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This still says that a large majority of Blacks are NOT on welfare. The OP's point is that the majority of Blacks in the USA are NOT on welfare. That is what the OP is saying. The claim that Blacks are voting Democrat in high levels simply for welfare is incorrect. If most Blacks were voting Democrat simply for the welfare benefits, then the majority of Blacks would be on welfare. That was the point the OP was trying to convey.
These people cannot explain why every damn near every high earning black I know votes Democrat as well. Most blacks I know who vote republican, especially down South, do so for social issues, because of their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:
This still says that a large majority of Blacks are NOT on welfare. The OP's point is that the majority of Blacks in the USA are NOT on welfare. That is what the OP is saying. The claim that Blacks are voting Democrat in high levels simply for welfare is incorrect. If most Blacks were voting Democrat simply for the welfare benefits, then the majority of Blacks would be on welfare. That was the point the OP was trying to convey.
Welfare, affirmative action, white guilt propaganda, black history month etc etc.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Welfare, affirmative action, white guilt propaganda, black history month etc etc.
Actually, this is what I suspect. I feel that alot of Blacks vote Democrat because Democrats of the post 1960's have shown themselves to support Civil Rights. There is a feeling because of the record of Republicans post-1964, Republicans don't understand or care about issues that Blacks are concerned about. Barry Goldwater, a Republican, didn't support any Civil Rights legislation. Ronald Reagan was the same way. Richard Nixon tried the Southern Strategy himself, appealing to segregationists in the South.

You mention affirmative action. As much as Nixon used the Southern Strategy, it was he, a Republican, who put affirmative action into effect. Ronald Reagan wasn't much better. However, he did put the Dr. King Holiday into effect(although it was up to the states to decide that).

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,991 times
Quote:
Actually, this is what I suspect. I feel that alot of Blacks vote Democrat because Democrats of the post 1960's have shown themselves to support Civil Rights. There is a feeling because of the record of Republicans post-1964, Republicans don't understand or care about issues that Blacks are concerned about. Barry Goldwater, a Republican, didn't support any Civil Rights legislation. Ronald Reagan was the same way. Richard Nixon tried the Southern Strategy himself, appealing to segregationists in the South.

You mention affirmative action. As much as Nixon used the Southern Strategy, it was he, a Republican, who put affirmative action into effect. Ronald Reagan wasn't much better. However, he did put the Dr. King Holiday into effect(although it was up to the states to decide that).

Its the security thing: Blacks vote democratic since they know what to expect from them.
Republicans are iffy.

Thinking pragmatically: its hard to blame blacks for voting this way, after all the first Black president was nominated by the Dems and not Republicans.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 AM

640 posts, read 717,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
... what is the basis for the conservative meme that African Americans are loyal to the Democratic Party because of government benefits that they don't even qualify for to begin with? And why is it so hard for conservatives to grasp that such a meme is inherently racist and as result offensive to the vast majority of African American voters?...

The meme exists because of the nomination process and in recognition of the South and particularly older southern voters. You'll notice that in the area of religion as well. Fiscal conservatives/social liberals are generally marginalized by the nomination process---a process that invariably causes Republican candidates to say at least one outlandish, crypto-Nazi statement on the campaign trail and gravitate toward the center in the General Election.

The same principle applies when courting the Religious Right.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Its the security thing: Blacks vote democratic since they know what to expect from them.
Republicans are iffy.

Thinking pragmatically: its hard to blame blacks for voting this way, after all the first Black president was nominated by the Dems and not Republicans.
The reason Blacks are voting this way goes beyond the first Black president. It goes back to the 1960s when Blacks were given the right to vote, and that right was protected, by former President Lyndon B. Johnson. Barry Goldwater was against it. Richard Nixon used the Southern Strategy, and Ronald Reagan didn't suppose the Civil Rights Act.

Here is this. So far, Colin Powell is the only Republican I could support at this point. He comes off as pragmatic, moderate. I think more Blacks might vote Republican if Colin Powell ran.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
I try not to worry about those who believe that blacks vote for Democrats because of handouts. These are usually people of low-intellect and it's not nice to make fun of folks who are intellectually-challenged.

While I have always voted for Democrats, it's not because of handouts. It's simply because the Republican candidates, since I've been of voting age, have been about big-business and routinely have a large population of people who are racist and/or discriminatory against blacks. I cannot, in good conscience, shake the hand of someone who is stepping on the neck of a black person.

I will say that if a Republican came forward with a platform to put an end to welfare and to institute a policy to deport illegal aliens, I'd be all for it.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
... what is the basis for the conservative meme that African Americans are loyal to the Democratic Party because of government benefits that they don't even qualify for to begin with? And why is it so hard for conservatives to grasp that such a meme is inherently racist and as result offensive to the vast majority of African American voters?

61 percent of welfare recipients are white.

88.7 percent of Social Security and disability payments are white.

46.2 percent of Food Stamp recipients are white.

48.5 percent of medicaid recipients are white.

Who gets welfare? Despite prevailing stereotype, whites, not blacks, collect greatest share of public aid dollars | Ebony | Find Articles

In 2008 African Americans comprised 12.8 percent of the population, account for 8.6 of GDP and were 11 percent of all workers.

Blacks' Role in the U.S. Economy

And, while conservatives are quick to seize upon the fact that 27.4 percent of African Americans living below the poverty line, I find in telling that the headlines never read;

Nearly 3/4s of African Americans Live Above the Poverty Line.

Which would be news since in 1960 55% of African Americans lived in poverty.

So the question becomes, if 3/4s of African Americans live above the poverty line, comprise 12.8 percent of the population and 11 percent of the workforce, even if 99.9 percent of all welfare recipients where African American, how does one even begin to try and support the argument that 90% of working African Americans are loyal to the Democratic Party because THEY get "government handouts". The answer is that the meme is unsupportable and African Americans fundamentally understand that.

The reality is that the "free stuff" meme is nothing more than a new variation of the Ronald Reagan "Welfare Queen" writ large.

So, It is the height of irony that the Republican Party's in its disingenuous attempt to find excuses for its abject failure to make inroads into the African American electorate to promote a blatantly racist stereotype that only acts to further cement African American antipathy towards the GOP, and as a result, ensures that 90+ precent of African Americans will remain loyal to the Democratic Party for the foreseeable future.
To be honest, I could care less who is on welfare. When someone says the word "welfare" the image I get isn't the one that article suggests, what I picture is a single mother of four boys waiting in line with her food-stamps, her head is down and she won't make eye contact with anyone. Or I picture the same single mother setting up a food pickup from the food bank. Too embarased to have it dropped off at her home, she meets the delivery driver in some side street across town. It's sad that we have to feel ashamed just doing what is right by our children. The single mother of four, was my mother. Why did she have to feel ashamed? All she was doing was feeding her children.

The republican party is a bunch of ignorant, racist, sexist, and homophobes. They will paint any group that is not their own is a bad light. All they care about is their little club of white rich god-fearing men. I have never met an intelligent republican. Sure they can be smart, but there is always some form of willful ignorance and that takes away any credibility they had.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:

Had to LOL at this. The majority of black people don't use welfare, the majority of black people don't use affirmative action, the majority of black people don't care about "white guilt propaganda" (I'm black and don't even know what the hell that is!), black history month is not some sort of law and was not legislated and people don't have to celebrate it. Also black history month was created by black people and was celebrated for many years by black people. It cannot be taken away by anyone and is not associated with a political party.

Plenty of republicans I know, white republicans at that, don't have a problem with black history month.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No one ever asked me if I wanted to pay into SS or Medicare.

They just take the money out of my paycheck and give me what's left over.

Does that make me a mooch for accepting the benefits I paid for?

There is a big difference between the benefits I pay for and I receive and the benefits I pay for but are received by a person who did not pay for them.
Why do you feel that people on welfare have not paid into the system? The average use of welfare benefits in this country is 2 years. Regardless of what you and your kind like to spout, there are not huge swaths of black people living generation after generation on welfare. I admit there are some just like there are some white people who have lived off of social programs for generations.

But most people work during their lives and most people pay into the system via taxes. So those people are also using benefits that they paid for.

My mom was on welfare for 2 years. She is now over 50 years old and owns her own business and worked since she was 14 years old. She more than paid for the welfare benefits she received as well as paid for wars she didn't agree with and programs she didn't approve of and social security for people not herself or her family and medicaid/medicare for old and poor people.

You should really get off of your high horse. Everyone pays into these programs the the people using them have paid into them too in some way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies