Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to quit smoking but you folks make if very difficult...

Look, here is premises underlying the Republic meme;

"African Americans support the Democratic Party in numbers consistently in 90 percentile because, quote "They depend on free stuff from the government." So;

1. In order for that to be true, the vast majority of African Americans have to be in a position to receive that free stuff, which is statistically impossible because the vast majority of African American do not qualify for government assistance and certainly don't qualify and anywhere near a rate approaching the 90% rate of support that American Americans give to the Democratic Party.

2. We know that voter turnout amongst the lowest quintile of potential voters, based upon income is also the lowest group to participate in actually voting. If that is the case then the absolute number and the percentage of "getters of free stuff" is further reduced, increasing percentage of voters who DO NOT vote out of motivation for government assistance.

In short poor folk just don't vote at the same rate as higher income earners, and no be they black white or purple the lowest quintile in neither in absolute nor proportionality significantly large enough out number higher earners.

3. While no one would deny that African Americans disproportionately earn less than below the official demarcation of poverty In absolute numbers which are how votes are counted, more low income whites have an incentive to support the Democratic Party than African Americans because they to get "free stuff" from the government, yet the silence about poor whites voting for the Democrats for the same reasons, is deafening. We don't hear or read conservative Republics railing against poor whites who in absolute numbers would be voters in need of ending their "slavery" to the Democratic plantation or at the very least stop being share croppers.

So in short, despite the bad math, reading comprehension failures and attempts to deflect the conversation, the FACT remains that the Republican Party attempt to portray African Americans as a whole as being mired and poverty and always on the look out for a freebee and as a result support the Democratic Party is not only statistically false it is racist to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm trying to quit smoking but you folks make if very difficult...

Look, here is premises underlying the Republic meme;

"African Americans support the Democratic Party in numbers consistently in 90 percentile because, quote "They depend on free stuff from the government." So;

1. In order for that to be true, the vast majority of African Americans have to be in a position to receive that free stuff, which is statistically impossible because the vast majority of African American do not qualify for government assistance and certainly don't qualify and anywhere near a rate approaching the 90% rate of support that American Americans give to the Democratic Party.

2. We know that voter turnout amongst the lowest quintile of potential voters, based upon income is also the lowest group to participate in actually voting. If that is the case then the absolute number and the percentage of "getters of free stuff" is further reduced, increasing percentage of voters who DO NOT vote out of motivation for government assistance.

In short poor folk just don't vote at the same rate as higher income earners, and no be they black white or purple the lowest quintile in neither in absolute nor proportionality significantly large enough out number higher earners.

3. While no one would deny that African Americans disproportionately earn less than below the official demarcation of poverty In absolute numbers which are how votes are counted, more low income whites have an incentive to support the Democratic Party than African Americans because they to get "free stuff" from the government, yet the silence about poor whites voting for the Democrats for the same reasons, is deafening. We don't hear or read conservative Republics railing against poor whites who in absolute numbers would be voters in need of ending their "slavery" to the Democratic plantation or at the very least stop being share croppers.

So in short, despite the bad math, reading comprehension failures and attempts to deflect the conversation, the FACT remains that the Republican Party attempt to portray African Americans as a whole as being mired and poverty and always on the look out for a freebee and as a result support the Democratic Party is not only statistically false it is racist to boot.
Yeah ok, couldn't just admit you were trying to spin this with an ancient article from a biased source? Ok, so if they didn't vote Obama in 2008 for continued handouts, then why did they? I know why, because of SKIN COLOR and THAT'S RACIST! TOUCHE!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
I myself blame main stream media for the tar and feathering of AA's when it comes to welfare. Not just fox but all of them. The agenda's may vary, but in the end the damage is done. During Katrina they didn't show the many many Black people helping thier neighbors and community. No they showed the looters. The woman claiming they were just taking what was owed them. Powerful stuff.

For most of us who served with AA's we have a strong and healthy respect and have formed lasting bonds with our AA counterparts. You live, work and play together, you depend upon each other and it is often a matter of life and death.
I blame the politicians for fueling the misconceptions and for using the sterotypes for their own means. Not just GOP but DEMs too.

If you want to understand 1 simple fact about Black people? Go to a park and watch 4 and 5 yearold black kids playing with their white counter parts. You will see absolutely no difference. We are all the same.. That is until adults poison the well.
To the OP: Good thread and thank you

Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I myself blame main stream media for the tar and feathering of AA's when it comes to welfare. Not just fox but all of them. The agenda's may vary, but in the end the damage is done. During Katrina they didn't show the many many Black people helping thier neighbors and community. No they showed the looters. The woman claiming they were just taking what was owed them. Powerful stuff.

For most of us who served with AA's we have a strong and healthy respect and have formed lasting bonds with our AA counterparts. You live, work and play together, you depend upon each other and it is often a matter of life and death.
I blame the politicians for fueling the misconceptions and for using the sterotypes for their own means. Not just GOP but DEMs too.

If you want to understand 1 simple fact about Black people? Go to a park and watch 4 and 5 yearold black kids playing with their white counter parts. You will see absolutely no difference. We are all the same.. That is until adults poison the well.
To the OP: Good thread and thank you
The OP was BS, why you thanked them for it is beyond me. Let's stick to truths, it will make us better people.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The OP was BS, why you thanked them for it is beyond me. Let's stick to truths, it will make us better people.
"BS" which you appear absolutely incapable of challenging.

I should be used to that by now.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
"BS" which you appear absolutely incapable of challenging.

I should be used to that by now.
You were PWNED! And you know it! You used a biased article from 20 G-Damned years ago! The truth was posted, but you ignored it and decided to play catch up and backtrack your stance into something else as usual.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Thats your opinion. Normally the OP and I are opposite sides of the debate, on this one I agree with them. That is called being open minded and reasonable.
Yes many blacks are on welfare. Many Blacks are less than perfect. The same is true of whites, hispanics and asians.
We all bleed red and a black mans blood will work in my veins. I know this from first hand experience.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:

61 percent of welfare recipients are white.

88.7 percent of Social Security and disability payments are white.

46.2 percent of Food Stamp recipients are white.

48.5 percent of medicaid recipients are white.
These numbers are irrelevant if you want to make any type of honest comparison since they do not account for the population difference.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
We need jobs to get them making more money.Don't these low earners get an earned income credit that gives them thousands more dollars at tax time.. that is unearned income.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I myself blame main stream media for the tar and feathering of AA's when it comes to welfare. Not just fox but all of them.
As a former member of the "mainstream" media I couldn't agree with you more. Having finished three months of reporting on street level drug dealing that eventually ran as a four part series, I pitched a story about a black family with a teenaged son with straight A's. I was told that it was news, to which I responded to my editors by saying "When it comes to this paper it is a perfect man bites dog story considering number of pieces that we run about African American teenagers arrested on criminal charges!".

Hell it should have run on the front pages, "Formerly Undiscovered African American Teenager with Two Parents, No Criminal Record and Straight A's Discovered Living In the Hood!" It wasn't one of my most career advancing moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies