Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,463 times

Advertisements

Take this Marijuana Message to Heart

Additionally, there is a possiblity it is very dangerous for people with an electrical problem in their heart like Long QT syndrome.

I imagine that it would cause problems for people with Wolff Parkinson White and other electrical disorders that could result in Arrhythmia's.

It is commonly known that marijuana increases the heart rate by 20-40 beats per minute and can do so for an extended period of time.

This may have long term side effects and could especially be dangerous for someone who excercises while intoxicated on marijuana, which I imagine some users do.

More research needs to be conducted in this area. People should be aware of this before they get brain washed by the "marijuana is 100%" safe argument.

This is a serious matter that needs to be addressed.

Perhaps some cardiologists that frequent this board can comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
Where do you get your information? MJ increases heart rate? Not in my experience. Last time I tried MJ about 4 decades ago my heart rate dropped from 60 bpm to 40 or so and blood pressure fell through the floor. Total and complete relaxation.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,078,306 times
I don't smoke the stuff, and even if it was so, who cares. I mean seriously, in todays day and age, everything is linked to one disease or another. and then after time, it changes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Where do you get your information? MJ increases heart rate? Not in my experience. Last time I tried MJ about 4 decades ago my heart rate dropped from 60 bpm to 40 or so and blood pressure fell through the floor. Total and complete relaxation.

A symptom of marijuana intoxication is tachycardia. You may have measured your heart rate several hours after intoxication, but it is a commonly known side effect.

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Yes, you ask ask the users and many will tell you about racing heart beats and arrythmia. Most have experienced it, some more often that others, and some more severe than others. Some people smoke and they think they are going to die because drug triggers their hearts to go out of control. When death arrives, it is ruled a heart attack, but of course we all know the real reason was marijuana.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't smoke the stuff, and even if it was so, who cares. I mean seriously, in todays day and age, everything is linked to one disease or another. and then after time, it changes up.
My point isn't to demonize marijuana. I just don't think it's smart for people to conclude that it's incredibly safe and spread that type of propoganda when there is a possiblity it is bad for your heart.

It may not be a big deal now, considering (I'm assuming) you're healthy, but I'm sure your opinion would change signficantly if you had to be issued a pacemaker.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, you ask ask the users and many will tell you about racing heart beats and arrythmia. Most have experienced it, some more often that others, and some more severe than others. Some people smoke and they think they are going to die because drug triggers their hearts to go out of control. When death arrives, it is ruled a heart attack, but of course we all know the real reason was marijuana.
That may very well be the case, and it needs to be addressed.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
I think that it's more dangerous than the users and pushers want you to think and less dangerous than the anti-drug crowd wants you to think.

The truth lies in the middle.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think that it's more dangerous than the users and pushers want you to think and less dangerous than the anti-drug crowd wants you to think.

The truth lies in the middle.
Either way, people deserve to know the truth.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Either way, people deserve to know the truth.
Neither side really wants to hear it.

It's not a harmless drug.
But it's not a crazy killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies