U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,446,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Sounds like a bunch of nerd rage going on over a select percentage of the pitbull breed. What's next? A filing cabinet for humans labeled extinct?

Yeah let's ban cats, birds, hamsters, fish, and ferrets too! While we're at it let's ban those darn sea monkeys! Can't trust those guys - might give you scurvy!

Honestly - get the sand out from between your legs and stop being so melodramatic. Also, LuckyGem, it's not polite to lie - there's no way a pitbull could have gotten that close to your face unless you were legally recognized as a midget or were in a wheelchair. Fake story is fake.

You anti-pit bull geeks need to get out of your mother's basements and do something productive with your life.
Right. Most people that hate pitbulls never met one, they are just frightened by the media stories. I suggest they volunteer to spend some time at a local shelter, take a pit for a walk on the grounds, then you will see you have nothing to fear from the majority of them. Talk to your veterinarian, they will tell you about the breeds they worry about, and I guarantee pitbulls won't be high on that list, I doubt if they make the list at all. Most vets will say chihuahua's are number one. I know of a vet that got a bad bite from an Old English Sheepdog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM

7,294 posts, read 3,976,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Pit bulls scare me as do Dobermans and Rottweilers. I've had a bad experience with the latter two. But no way should any breed be banned. Just because some are bad is not a reason to condemn them all. I do think all dogs have the capability of turning against us for reasons unknown to us.
I grew up with a Dalmatian who was sweet as can be. He suddenly became enraged and bit my 2 year old sister. There was no reason for it but he was put down because of it.

I got bit by our Dalmatian when I was a kid.
Only dog bite I have experienced.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,648,424 times
I've had both good and bad experiences with dobermans, but mostly very good. I have a friend who breeds them, and all of her dogs that I've seen were very gentle and affectionate. Dobermans are very loyal to their masters, and very territorial. They were bred to be guard dogs, and so while not generally agresssive when raised properly, they are loyal to their masters and will guard their ground (or rather, the owners ground). But most act meaner than they really are. Sometimes, that's actually what you want in a dog. Scare the potential intruder away, but don't present a danger to yourself or your family.

It really boils down to the fact that different breeds were bred for different purposes. Owners need to be responsible enough to research a breed they are interested in so that they know what they are getting into. Some breeds do well in confined spaces and do well with families. Others need lots of space, and don't do well as an indoor family pet. I knew a lady who ived in an apartment and owned a Great Dane, but couldn't understand why the dog was so neurotic.

Some are so highly inbred that it costs a fortune in vet bills to keep them healthy. I prefer mixed breeds, myself. They have a more diverse genome, are generally smarter, healthier, and get along better with people, especially chinldren, depending on how the owner raises them. I also think that more owners need training more than the dogs do. You wouldn't let an amateur raise an African lion, would you? They may be pets in our eyes, but they are, after all, still animals. They are not toys.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,021,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Does socializing mean enrolling the dog in Miss Charm's School of Etiquette? The dog was bred for blood sport. It's a crapshoot as to which dog will go nutso and under which circumstances. There is no way to monitor who owns these potentially dangerous dogs. No on is advocating for extermination of existing pets, but there is no good reason to continue breeding them.
You really don't know anything about dogs, do you?

Good god the ignorance is painful.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 AM

41,031 posts, read 32,728,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Right. Most people that hate pitbulls never met one, they are just frightened by the media stories. I suggest they volunteer to spend some time at a local shelter, take a pit for a walk on the grounds, then you will see you have nothing to fear from the majority of them. Talk to your veterinarian, they will tell you about the breeds they worry about, and I guarantee pitbulls won't be high on that list, I doubt if they make the list at all. Most vets will say chihuahua's are number one. I know of a vet that got a bad bite from an Old English Sheepdog.
When we found our dog, as a puppy, at the end of our road, she was so young that we couldn't tell what breed she was - only that she was pitch black and had big paws. So we took her to our vet for her healthcar and asked him.

When he told us, "I'm pretty sure she's a lab/pit bull mix," we were a bit dismayed, to be honest. It wasn't that WE were worried, it was that we live out in the country and we didn't want our neighbors worrying that we were letting a pit bull loose on our property. In other words, we didn't want her to get shot by someone who was scared of her.

Our vet told us then, "I have three pit bulls - all rescued dogs. They are terrific dogs. In fact, everyone on my staff has at least one pit bull, because we acquire them when people bring them in as puppies or they've been abused and someone saves them and brings them to us to treat. They're great dogs and do NOT deserve the reputation they've got. The media just goes crazy and labels any dog that attacks someone as a pit bull."

I agree completely with his assessment. And now we have a fantastic, loving, gentle, big baby of a dog!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 AM

60,280 posts, read 30,657,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Can you post your sources for this? Any dog can be trained to not go into shock when injured.

No they cannot!!!! Shock is something that is not trainable.

It is in every book I have read about the breed. I have owned a brindle pit. That is one of the traits that make them dominate in the fighting aspect of canine dominance.
It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

I now own 2 black labs. My female lab, is way more aggressive and protective, than my pit bull ever was.

My mother-in-laws weenie dog, mauled my daughter when she was 2 years old and has the scars on her face to prove it. That was after my mother-in-law demanding we get rid of our pitbull, that she rode on, tugged on and got tongue baths daily, from. Kinda ironic.

Last edited by BentBow; 07-19-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 AM

41,031 posts, read 32,728,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is in every book I have read about the breed. I have owned a brindle pit. That is one of the traits that make them dominate in the fighting aspect of canine dominance.
It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

I now own 2 black labs. My female lab, is way more aggressive and protective, than my pit bull ever was.

My mother-in-laws weenie dog, mauled my daughter when she was 2 years old and has the scars on her face to prove it. That was after my mother-in-law demanding we get rid of our pitbull, that she rode on, tugged on and got tongue baths daily, from. Kinda ironic.

The only dog that has ever lunged at me was a German Shepherd that was chained out in someone's back yard. If I were chained up, I'd lunge at someone too.

My grandmother was attacked by a Jack Russell terrier one time, when she was taking a walk. It was a pretty bad attack - she had to have stitches.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When we found our dog, as a puppy, at the end of our road, she was so young that we couldn't tell what breed she was - only that she was pitch black and had big paws. So we took her to our vet for her healthcar and asked him.

When he told us, "I'm pretty sure she's a lab/pit bull mix," we were a bit dismayed, to be honest. It wasn't that WE were worried, it was that we live out in the country and we didn't want our neighbors worrying that we were letting a pit bull loose on our property. In other words, we didn't want her to get shot by someone who was scared of her.

Our vet told us then, "I have three pit bulls - all rescued dogs. They are terrific dogs. In fact, everyone on my staff has at least one pit bull, because we acquire them when people bring them in as puppies or they've been abused and someone saves them and brings them to us to treat. They're great dogs and do NOT deserve the reputation they've got. The media just goes crazy and labels any dog that attacks someone as a pit bull."

I agree completely with his assessment. And now we have a fantastic, loving, gentle, big baby of a dog!
He is a beauty.
I adopted my oldest from my veterinarian, the dog was 3 years old at the time I introduced him to our other dogs, he fit right in. He's 10 now. He looks scary because whoever had him cut his ears off, but he's a sweetie.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No they cannot!!!! Shock is something that is not trainable.

They feel pain just as much as any other, it's a matter of focus. You don't think about your wounds until after the battle, people are like that too.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 AM

15,749 posts, read 8,555,520 times
Before we talk about banning. I want to know what the OP means by "We"?

Are we talking federal statute? Local government ban?

need clarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies