U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM

41,051 posts, read 32,742,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
beatufiul Kathryn. You made me do it, these are my kids.
What sweeties! I could kiss them right on their dog lips!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 04:14 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,187,102 times
Quote:
This site lists the fatalities of 2011 as 31, 22 from reportedly pitbulls. The stories are interesting in that for most, there was fair warning. Loose dogs, chained dogs, people going onto their neighbors property alone, a 3 year old alone in a backyard with rottweillers. What really strikes me is so many unknowns. If they kill the dog, they should be able to tell us what the breed was and whether is was neutered or not.

2011 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Keep in mind that roughly 30,000 die from cars, hundreds of thousands from poisonings, drowning, prescription drugs, the flu. So as emotional as this issue is, try to keep some perspective.
The VAST majority of dog bites come from intact males. Hormones play a major role.

A massive quantity of dog bites come from abused and neglected dogs. A lot of pit bulls are beaten into ferocity and frankly, any breed of dog, even a golden retriever, can be beaten into ferocity.

A majority of dog bites come from "yard dogs". These dogs never leave the yard and become extra territorial and will attack anyone who comes into "their" yard.

Many dog bites come from dogs who are not properly trained or socialized. Nippy puppies grow up to be biters if the issue isn't taken care of in infancy.

Quite a few dog bites come from ill-bred dogs. Every fool and his grandmother thinks that they can slap two pit bulls together and sell those puppies for $1,000+. Aggression can be passed down and breeding two aggressive dogs can get you an aggressive puppy, especially if that pup isn't properly socialized.

Some bites come from females with pups nearby. I don't think I need to explain the ''mama bear" instinct many animals have and yet people want to snatch up puppies b/c they're so cute without knowing how the female will handle such an intrusion.

Most importantly, the #1 victim of all dog attacks are small children.

Children, who are not taught how to appropriately approach a dog, are not taught how to even pet a dog correctly (guess what? you're not supposed to pet a strange dog on the head! Whether I'm walking a pit bull, poodle, or shih tzu, it never fails that some child-and even adult- is going to grab at the dog I'm walking).

Children, who are often left alone with the family pet when in fact THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN regardless if the family pet is a pit bull, lab, or freaking bunny rabbit.

Children, who at a young age, have trouble telling living dogs apart from toys so pull at parts (and if they were left alone with the pet, they aren't stopped and this can end badly).

Children, who sometimes tease animals and may even abuse them with stones and sticks.

It kills me because dog bites and attacks are SO FREAKING PREVENTABLE! Simply neutering dogs would greatly diminish bites. Properly socializing and training your dog would prevent dog bites. Not abusing or neglecting your dog will prevent dog bites. Getting your dog from a trusted source and not the gangbanger down the block breeding them for cash will prevent dog bites. And most importantly, actually understanding dog behavior and teaching children how to behave around dogs will prevent dog bites. Sadly, too few people do this and when a dog bites, people want to jump on the BSL wagon and blame the breed as a whole when in reality it's the owner who has neglected to take so many of the steps above (and let's be frank, sometimes, it's the victim fault as well).

Old 07-22-2012, 05:22 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,133,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't they should be banned. Instead we need to destroy the specific pit bulls who kill people. There never should be a debate, if a pit bull kills it get's killed period. Putting it to sleep is too humane. These dogs caused much terror, pain, and suffering to their victims and they should feel the same exact sensations in their final moments of life.
I believe you have some issues you need to go deal with. Are you freaking serious a dog does what it does by nature. People who commit crimes against other people usually claim they were abused, what makes a dog that's been abused or no training any different.

You really are a scary person if this is your idea of a solution..........hope there's less of you than more

Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 PM

523 posts, read 326,653 times
Quote:
I don't think that's very funny. I am a big proponent of leash laws. Again, an irresponsible owners was the problem. My neighbor sends his little 10 year old out walking with their pitbull. The dog is 7 months old now, and stronger than she is. People are stupid!
Mike's response:
I think it is very funny. If the boxer or its owner would have been killed, it would have been tragic, but all the pit bull lovers would just call it an unfortunate accident. When a hoodlum gets mauled by his own dog, it is very funny indeed, be it a pit bull or a yorkie.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:56 PM

60,399 posts, read 30,672,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
The thing is pit bulls would be a HORRIBLE farm dog and the worst attack/protection dog on Earth.

I strongly disagree!

They can make excellent cow and hog dogs.

Good at keeping the coyotes away.

Awesome at keeping strangers at bay.

Even to fetch a downed Dove in the stock tank and not eat it or crush it.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,133,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Well this sounds like you know what your doing...my neighbors daughter who brings two over every month or so has one of them who thinks he's the Alpha of the world. And she says after I tried to offer the dog a cookie at first meeting and he wanted to take my head off regardless( and I like dogs) oh....um...are you afraid of dogs..? What an idiot...thats the problem idiots are being produced in an idiot world ...

so...your dog I see understands that he can be appreciated as a protector....thats the problem as I see it
if going for a walk and some kid gets away from the group or whatever and does the wrong thing, even with your dog on a leash and you sitting there looking the other way....that strange kid is not family and may startle the dog....these things happen and Pit bulls are known to freak out very quickly...

so as soon as the dog understands he's muscle...I think thats a problem...the understanding relationship is then pet based but...with a job to do....it sounds like this is very clear in your above discussing.

So either a special licence should be required for dangerous neighborhoods or these dogs should be on a farm...away from casual goings on in a typical busy setting....they are purchased for protective reasons....so the incentive if thats the case should and by right require an authenticity report. A specific license qualifying the living environment as in fact one which requires consideration for a protect-dog...this seems like perfect common sense.
I do believe a lot of the problem is people think their dogs should go every where they good. If it's a fifi dog that's one thing, although those dogs are known to cause damage, but you can carry them around. I've been to art & craft fairs where people bring their dogs what are they thinking!! Of course two dogs will meet, not like each other and the fight is on right in the middle of everyone and all the breakables.

We don't take the pit/lab mix into public affairs, like you said they can be unpredictable just like any dog, can't argue they do like to fight, seems mostly males and it's usually overly protecting something. I do believe not just anyone should own one, but to make it a law I'm not sure I'd go that far.

I think making the profit of selling them as fighting dogs need to be addressed and people held more responsible for animal abuse. Most dogs can be a danger to society if not trained and loved. Spaying and neutering is a great solution.............

Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 PM

7,297 posts, read 3,977,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
A majority of dog bites come from "yard dogs". These dogs never leave the yard and become extra territorial and will attack anyone who comes into "their" yard.

This ferocious beast will try to kill anyone who enters "his" house.
Good thing he only weighs twenty pounds.

He has murder in his heart for all repairmen.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,282,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I believe you have some issues you need to go deal with. Are you freaking serious a dog does what it does by nature. People who commit crimes against other people usually claim they were abused, what makes a dog that's been abused or no training any different.

You really are a scary person if this is your idea of a solution..........hope there's less of you than more
You call me scary. Yet I have never harmed anyone in my life, unlike these vicious dogs you defend.

A harmless man get's you angry, yet a dog that kills get's you super defensive. Can't agree with those priorities.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 7,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I know, I know. The stories always quote someone saying: "But he was such a friendly dog, never attacked anyone before ...."
Just what they say about human killers - we would be better off banning .......humans?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,447,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
You call me scary. Yet I have never harmed anyone in my life, unlike these vicious dogs you defend.

A harmless man get's you angry, yet a dog that kills get's you super defensive. Can't agree with those priorities.
Most pits haven't harmed anybody either. Do you have any idea how many pitbulls are in this country? Millions. The shelters are full of them, that never would hurt anybody, but because of people like you, they can't be adopted to loving homes, and will be killed. Humans kill eachother every minute of every day, and some aren't fit to raise a parakeet, yet they get themselves a pitbull so they can show people what a badazz they are. People like you are cowards that should just hide out in the closet. It's a scary world. Try looking at it from a dogs point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies