Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
You call me scary. Yet I have never harmed anyone in my life, unlike these vicious dogs you defend.

A harmless man get's you angry, yet a dog that kills get's you super defensive. Can't agree with those priorities.
Know what angered me is your response on how to kill the dog!!! Dogs are instinct driven and usually do what their trained to do, it's the owner that should be punished. Have to say a lot of people who own dogs have no business owning one and most certainly not a Pit, Shepherd, Dobie or Rott without knowledge of their background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This site lists the fatalities of 2011 as 31, 22 from reportedly pitbulls. The stories are interesting in that for most, there was fair warning. Loose dogs, chained dogs, people going onto their neighbors property alone, a 3 year old alone in a backyard with rottweillers. What really strikes me is so many unknowns. If they kill the dog, they should be able to tell us what the breed was and whether is was neutered or not.

2011 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Keep in mind that roughly 30,000 die from cars, hundreds of thousands from poisonings, drowning, prescription drugs, the flu. So as emotional as this issue is, try to keep some perspective.
True that because of the sheer numbers involved, dog bite fatalities do not represent a significant fraction of deaths at all. Take a look at things like drunk driving, texting while driving etc if you want to see preventable deaths.

But that QUOTE dog bite statistics UNQUOTE site is utterly worthless, as it openly states that it relies on media reports for the veracity of the breed identification. This is about like walking around on the street and polling passers-by as to their opinion on how long the Emperor of Chinas nose is and then statistically reporting the results. You can do all the statistical analysis you want, but if your raw data is garbage, your output will also be garbage.

Old saying:

Garbage in -> garbage out.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
True that because of the sheer numbers involved, dog bite fatalities do not represent a significant fraction of deaths at all. Take a look at things like drunk driving, texting while driving etc if you want to see preventable deaths.

But that QUOTE dog bite statistics UNQUOTE site is utterly worthless, as it openly states that it relies on media reports for the veracity of the breed identification. This is about like walking around on the street and polling passers-by as to their opinion on how long the Emperor of Chinas nose is and then statistically reporting the results. You can do all the statistical analysis you want, but if your raw data is garbage, your output will also be garbage.

Old saying:

Garbage in -> garbage out.
I guess you are probably right. I wouldn't be surprised that all those deaths are caused by Yorkhsire terriers and Beagles running loose. Anything but the sweet, poor pit bulls. It's a shame that the media is biased against them.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Human beings are known to be the nastiest, cruelest and most violent animals on the face of the earth.

Yet people want to ban pit bulls? LOL.

Oh man that's a riot!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
I guess you are probably right. I wouldn't be surprised that all those deaths are caused by Yorkhsire terriers and Beagles running loose. Anything but the sweet, poor pit bulls. It's a shame that the media is biased against them.
You can try to be facetious, but that does not change the facts.

#1 witnesses and police are likely to label a biting dog as a pit bull whether it is or not
#2 there is media bias, ie the press is more likely to report a "pit bull" attack than one not involving a "pit bull"

Quote:
1.August 18, 2007—A Labrador mix attacked a 70-year-old man, sending him to the hospital in critical condition. Police officers arrived at the scene and the dog was shot after charging the officers.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

2.August 19, 2007—A 16-month-old child received fatal head and neck injuries after being attacked by a mixed-breed dog.
This attack was reported on twice by the local paper.

3.August 20, 2007—A six-year-old boy was hospitalized after having his ear torn off and receiving a severe bite to the head by a medium-sized, mixed-breed dog.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

4.August 21, 2007—A 59-year-old woman was attacked in her home by two pit bulls and was hospitalized with severe, but not fatal, injuries.
This attack was reported in over 230 articles in national and international newspapers, as well as major television news networks including CNN, MSNBC and FOX.
ASPCA | Pit Bull Bias in the Media

Quote:
Over the past 5 years, the newspaper has covered 20 different stories involving dog attacks -- of them, 9 had the breed of dog in the headlines. The breeds mentioned? 8x 'pit bulls' and 1x a Rottweiler.

This is even more interesting when put into the context that 'pit bulls' make up only 8% of the dog bites in the state of Colorado -- and aren't even the top biting dog in the state (see page 23). Labs were #1.
Denver Columnist confirms media bias in over-reporting stories about 'pit bulls' - KC DOG BLOG

Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
You can try to be facetious, but that does not change the facts.

#1witnesses and police are likely to label a biting dog as a pit bull whether it is or not
#2 there is media bias, ie the press is more likely to report a "pit bull" attack than one not involving a "pit bull"
I have to say this is true..........we have a brown lab that comes up to our house and my son's dog is the same color. Our neighbor's dog was attacked and he never saw the dog that did it, he told the police he thought it was the pit looking dog across the road. My son's dog wasn't even here that day........ My son's dog got a warning and they never investigated the Lab.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Should we ban Batman?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
An example of how horrible humans can be. You won't hear about this case on the news, but it's a first-of-it's-kind ruling. You know there are other sick abusers out there, they should take heed.
Man sexually abuses chihuahua mix, gets 10 yrs and must register as a sex-offender. YAY!
LiveLeak.com - Man who anal raped a chihuahua gets 10-year sentence
He won't do near that much time, but the sentence is sweet, nonetheless.

His picture is here:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...chihuahua.html

My own dog, with no ears, I suspect may have been abused sexually. He is very jumpy about touching his rear-end, and will look at you with fear in his eyes. He was also found full of buckshot, some could not be removed. Pits are victims of humans, humans are rarely the victims of these dogs. Keep in mind that a bite is their only means of protection.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Should we ban Batman?
Wrong thread, wrong topic.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Wrong thread, wrong topic.
Not so - banning pit bulls makes as much sense as banning Batman. People don't analyze things deeply - they want easy solutions and readily identifiable culprits. Man kills people at movie - ban the movie. Dog bite kid - ban the dog.

Shallow thinking is useless.

While we are banning things - why don't we just ban people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies