Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times

Advertisements

It not the dog that causes the problem is the owner mistreating, mistraining, and misunderstanding the dog they have and common sense of the breed.

In the 70's there was issue with Doberman Pincher, in the 80's it was German Shepard's, in the 90's it was Pit Pulls in 2000's its Rottweiler.

My neighbor has a Rottweiler and he a big ol lush. Common sense tells me dont mess around his food bowl or sneak up on it.

I have yet to cross a Cocker Spaniel that didnt want to attack on first meeting yet they get a pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It not the dog that causes the problem is the owner mistreating, mistraining, and misunderstanding the dog they have and common sense of the breed.

In the 70's there was issue with Doberman Pincher, in the 80's it was German Shepard's, in the 90's it was Pit Pulls in 2000's its Rottweiler.

My neighbor has a Rottweiler and he a big ol lush. Common sense tells me dont mess around his food bowl or sneak up on it.

I have yet to cross a Cocker Spaniel that didnt want to attack on first meeting yet they get a pass.
Where I live, Cocker Spaniels are considered by the director fo the local animal shelter to be the dog that does the most biting and most likely to bite. I think the difference is that Pit Bulls are very powerful animals, and so when they attack, they tend to do a lot of damage, and so get the most press.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
According to statistics complied at DogsBite.org, pit bulls were responsible for roughly 60 percent of fatal dog bites between January 2006 and December 2008. We're talking fatalities, here, folks. Keep in mind that this dangerous breed of dog makes up only around 5 percent of the pet dog population.

Furthermore, the combination of pit bulls, rottweilers, their close mixes, and wolf hybrids are responsible for 68 percent of fatalities and 77 percent of attacks that cause bodily harm.

I can't prove it, but I'm willing to bet that the owners of pit bulls are also more dangerous than your average citizen. You can tell by their tattoos.

I say we outlaw pit bulls and put the others on notice.
No. We should BAN THE IDIOTS who raise them that way. This is the dumbest argument I've ever seen, (not YOU, OP...the whole breed specific legislation), and it pisses me off that people believe all this BULL**** that they hear from the media.

It is THE PEOPLE who are irresponsible, NOT the dogs! How do you solve this problem? Fine them up the ass and throw them in jail for a good long sit. Maybe it won't be so "cool" to beat the crap out of their dogs to "make them meaner" anymore.

For every pit bull attack, (if it's actually a real pit bull and not what the idiotic media thinks is a pitbull), I'll bet you a large chunk of money that there are NO LESS than 10,000 GOOD pit bull stories...we just don't get to hear those..not "sensationalist" enough. F-en media pisses me OFF!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Ban and eliminate all dogs!

There done.

Now, no one fells singled out.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin96 View Post
Hypothetically, yes...any dog can be trained to attack and kill. But as it happens, data suggests that pit bulls are overwhelmingly more likely to be the breed of dog to attack and kill. There are, of course, several reasons for this. One of which is the indisputable fact that pit bulls have been bred with a temperamental pre-disposition to become aggressive, especially when triggered by certain situations, behaviors, or environments. This is why deviant owners select pitbulls as "pets" to begin with.
What data exactly? There are NO reliable data to support that assertion. Press reports do NOT count as "data".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
Please Google "Miami-Dade county pitbull ordinance".
The writing is on the wall.
As for not being able to tell a pit bull from a lab, or a boxer, come on.
Really? You must have missed the online article put out by the province of Ontario a few years back when they showed a picture of a BOXER in their rant against pit bulls. Needless to say they took it down quickly.

Speaking of Ontario, which has had a "pit bull" ban in effect since 2005, the incidence of dog bites has not been strongly reduced and the province is considering dropping it.

Pit bull ban hasn

Old 07-20-2012, 02:03 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
What data exactly? There are NO reliable data to support that assertion. Press reports do NOT count as "data".

Really? You must have missed the online article put out by the province of Ontario a few years back when they showed a picture of a BOXER in their rant against pit bulls. Needless to say they took it down quickly.

Speaking of Ontario, which has had a "pit bull" ban in effect since 2005, the incidence of dog bites has not been strongly reduced and the province is considering dropping it.

Pit bull ban hasn

Thats because the ban in Ontario was specific to a date of birth for the dog....so the stats will not reflect the initiative until all the dogs pass on. Plus people under ground the dog....

The ban in Ontario was not designed to do anything but get the ball rolling on citizen comprehensions that in time, these dogs will simply be picked up if seen and dealt with. Thats the only way something like this will work because owners of pit bulls are hostility based people including living in areas where they prob feel better with the dog...Its similar to gun control....if there are less dogs(PBulls) and guns, there are less injurys and fatalities...Ruling million people territory's with many interconnecting issues is not a matter of ...lets do this or lets do that....everything thats done and legislated has an effect on everyone. Easing things in is a representation of prudential responsibility in leadership

In time there will be no pit bulls in N/A......bank on it.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,941 times
Pit bulls are pets for one person the owner.....for everyone else the Pitt Bull is muscle on a leash, a weapon.

With a machine gun there is nothing independent of the person to go out of control. A pit bull is a machine gun which can and does go out of control to everyone except the owner. All owners fully know this...thats why they buy them, protection-making a statement and or breeding for doe.. A normal society will never have it. These dogs have well explained themselves and now chemists have recovered an addictive release in their brain rewarding them when they go into the rage mode

In time...these dogs will be history.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:48 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Pit bulls are pets for one person the owner.....for everyone else the Pitt Bull is muscle on a leash, a weapon.

With a machine gun there is nothing independent of the person to go out of control. A pit bull is a machine gun which can and does go out of control to everyone except the owner. All owners fully know this...thats why they buy them, protection-making a statement and or breeding for doe.. A normal society will never have it. These dogs have well explained themselves and now chemists have recovered an addictive release in their brain rewarding them when they go into the rage mode

In time...these dogs will be history.

Hero Pit Bull Dog Saves Woman From Being Hit By A Train - YouTube

Pet Pitbull - Positive Press

Stray Pit Bull saves woman & child from attacker - ...

Pitbull saves pregnant woman and child! - YouTube

Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
Please Google "Miami-Dade county pitbull ordinance".
The writing is on the wall.
As for not being able to tell a pit bull from a lab, or a boxer, come on.
What about dogs that are half pit and half lab? Like mine?

Lab? Pit bull? Which is she? Should she or her offspring be banned?

You do know, don't you, that most "pit bulls" reported in the media, or just out in the general public, are not full blood ANYTHING but are, rather, a mix of dogs such as American Bulldogs, Great Danes, Boxers, Staffordshire Terriers, even Boston Terriers, right? Often mixed with who knows what - such as my girl Josie (who the vet thinks is part Lab and part pit bull, whatever that means).

The media latches onto the term "pit bull" largely because it gets peoples' attention and it's often "for lack of a better description."

My dog has never even barked at a person.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 PM

410 posts, read 398,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
According to statistics complied at DogsBite.org, pit bulls were responsible for roughly 60 percent of fatal dog bites between January 2006 and December 2008. We're talking fatalities, here, folks. Keep in mind that this dangerous breed of dog makes up only around 5 percent of the pet dog population.

Furthermore, the combination of pit bulls, rottweilers, their close mixes, and wolf hybrids are responsible for 68 percent of fatalities and 77 percent of attacks that cause bodily harm.

I can't prove it, but I'm willing to bet that the owners of pit bulls are also more dangerous than your average citizen. You can tell by their tattoos.

I say we outlaw pit bulls and put the others on notice.

According to statistics recorded in the pages of history, 100% (with a standard deviation of 1%) of ~60 million fatalities in World War II were caused by humans.
Surely it's us who should be banned.

Dogs, including pitbulls, reflect the teachings of their owners/parents (quite like children).
You can teach them to sniff out landmines or attack a passerby.

You may find it a good read.
gladwell dot com - troublemakers

Disclaimer: I am a pitbull owner and I am undoubtedly dangerous than the average citizen.
No tattoos though, never found a convincing reason to permanently paint myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies